Obama '08! A2K Inauguration Party

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:18 pm
http://www.alanjust.com/images/LSR-12bt-and-cans.jpg
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:26 pm
Oooh! Great "We Are One: The Obama Innauguration Celebration" coverage on HBO right now. (7-9pm) It will repeat 11:30pm -1:30am on HBO.

It's at the Lincoln Memorial. The Obama's are there. Appears to be from today or yesterday. Was it on other stations live?

Turned on in time to see Garth Brookes, Usher, Jack Black...
ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 07:58 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown!! Pass me that plate!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:00 pm
@Butrflynet,
I couldn't see it until I clicked on the little blue box, but then it worked. What a cake!

And I'm an orangina fan. Sozlet, thank you.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:02 pm
OMG! I'm crying like a little baby. Pete Seeger just sang (Along with his grandson and Bruce Springstein) This Land is Your Land

This land is your land, this land is my land
From California, to the New York Island
From the redwood forest, to the gulf stream waters
This land was made for you and me

As I was walking a ribbon of highway
I saw above me an endless skyway
I saw below me a golden valley
This land was made for you and me...

Followed by Beyonce singing America the beautiful...

O beautiful for spacious skies,
For amber waves of grain,
For purple mountain majesties
Above the fruited plain!
America! America!
God shed his grace on thee
And crown thy good with brotherhood
From sea to shining sea!

O beautiful for pilgrim feet
Whose stern impassioned stress
A thoroughfare of freedom beat
Across the wilderness!
America! America!
God mend thine every flaw,
Confirm thy soul in self-control,
Thy liberty in law!

The unity, the hopefulness... I have my country back.

Oh, boy, Tuesday is gonna be SO awesome!
mac11

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 08:27 pm
I saw the concert live this afternoon. (It started at 2:30 ET). It was only on HBO, but they had it available for everyone (not just subscribers). I cried quite a bit myself.

I'm going to re-arrange my Tuesday to see the swearing-in and some of the speeches live. Isn't it exciting? Very Happy
squinney

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 09:51 pm
@mac11,
Yes, it is.

From my politics postings over the past year it's obvious I wasn't a big Obama fan. I waited until around the time of the convention and made him earn my trust, my vote. He did earn it, but it's bigger than that.

What's exciting is that this is about the people; the Butterflynets and sozobe's that physically participated as well as those that voted. This is about everyone feeling united again. This is about ... I dunno how to put it into words... the humanity of the masses. It isn't about Obama. It isn't about Democrats. I think this was a win for everyone around the globe. There is a sincere positive movement afoot that will ripple out around the world. That's because of all of us, not just Obama. He was the Community Organizer that got it started and keeps it going.
Thomas

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:02 pm
@Butrflynet,
sozobe wrote:
Great looking cake, Sozlet!

It's gone. The others must have eaten it before I got my chance to have a piece. Bummer!
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:22 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Oooh! Great "We Are One: The Obama Innauguration Celebration" coverage on HBO right now. (7-9pm) It will repeat 11:30pm -1:30am on HBO.

It's at the Lincoln Memorial. The Obama's are there. Appears to be from today or yesterday. Was it on other stations live?

Turned on in time to see Garth Brookes, Usher, Jack Black...

It is being streamed on their website too. Am watching it now for the first time since I don't have a cable or satelite subscription.

http://www.hbo.com/weareone/webcast/index.html
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2009 11:27 pm
@Thomas,
I saved a piece of it for ya, Thomas.

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_z2t3-2ANqrg/SXQOyFvN9II/AAAAAAAAAsE/0u8siPTkv_Y/s400/IMG_1904.jpg
rabel22

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 12:29 am
I will turn off the tv and the radio and spend the day reading so as not be influenced by the bs the expert commontators put out!! I voted for him but have no hope of anything happening to help me and my community because money rules. Look where the 800 billion dollars went.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 03:23 am
@squinney,
Totally agree with you, squinney. There's an excitement in the air, not just in the USA but worldwide. I haven't seen anything like it since the early days of JFK but this is even more intense.
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 03:29 am
@Merry Andrew,
Merry Andrew wrote:

Totally agree with you, squinney. There's an excitement in the air, not just in the USA but worldwide. I haven't seen anything like it since the early days of JFK but this is even more intense.

HE'S NOT ******* BUSH.

He may be a pill....but HE'S NOT ******* BUSH.

I find it impossible to believe he could be worse, while very unsure how much better he will be.

But...I believe he has a brain.

This is so good.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 04:33 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
Erm...so when does this happen, US time? Sad

Did anyone answer this? (If so, I didn't see it, sorry)

I would love to see it live, but the best I could come up with (in Oz), Deb, is 12:30 pm, Wednesday - SBS. A one hour special which, according to my Green Guide: is a one hour special which will "look" live, "feel" live, even though it isn't live! Bugger. Sad Neutral
Thomas

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 05:00 am
@Butrflynet,
Thanks, Butrflynet! Delicious cake, Sozlet!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:10 am
@msolga,
All times are Eastern Standard Time (GMT -5)

The official ceremony starts at 10:00 AM.

I think they plan to have the swearing in at exactly 12:00 noon (since Obama's term starts precisely at 12:01).
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:20 am
@ebrown p,
So...is he inauged yet?

Or did Cheney stage a military coup?
ebrown p

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:23 am
@dlowan,
The inauguration (or coup if that's what is going to happen) will occur at noon tomorrow (Tuesday).
dlowan

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:24 am
@ebrown p,
Oh...not until WEDNESDAY.
ebrown p

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2009 07:31 am
@dlowan,
Oh.. yeah.

Next you will be telling me winter is summer.