Plane crashes into Hudson River

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:30 pm
@Setanta,
Segue into my favorite movie character of all time--Bat Guano, in Dr. Strangelove.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:33 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No worries Frank. I'm just havin fun with ya Wink

Oh, I know. The golf courses must be a mess Shocked
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
@Linkat,
No no, I love all creatures, even when they **** on me. I did swear at it and gave it a piece of my mind, following with my middle finger, though.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:36 pm
So, are they saying it was geese with the plane engines? seagulls?

I myself had a personal contretemps with a goose. Snort. I was jogging to the jetty via the canals when a goose got in my path, and I stopped to address it (think of golf balls). It started pecking at my knees, and I was wearing shorts. I tried to pat it off, laughing. It kept up with the pecking, I kept laughing. Still laughing as I speeded up. It was a guard goose, I bet. (I had prior experience with a guard duck, in that case a known neighborhood protector. Foxy was its name...)

Sometime later I saw a lot of geese on the fly from the north, but there were wetland sanctuaries for them in Humboldt county.

Montana

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I've seen some become very agressive towards people. Never myself as they seemed to like me, but I've seen them chase people Laughing

Oh, and regarding the plane, I think they thought geese at first, but learned later it was gulls.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:47 pm
@Montana,
I have a secret - I do too - I just act like I can't stand them.
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:49 pm
@ossobuco,
On the news this morning, they mentioned geese. Although I suppose it is difficult to tell - I am sure they are mincemeat now.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:51 pm
@Linkat,
Wink
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:02 pm
@Joe Nation,
I have just done four flights (2 of them on the same aircraft that landed in the Hudson) in the emergency exit row.

While I made sure that I did know how to operate the exits (in a cynical "like we'd be alive" kind of way) I'll be taking that VERY seriously in future.

(While still thinking "like we'd be alive".)
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:13 pm
Have any of you seen the movie "Fearless". Some of the passengers mentioned the landing was similar to that - the panic and stuff at first. I remember once having a dream I was in a plane crash and it was just like that movie (most likely because I've seen the movie), but it was one of those dreams that just felt "real".
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:14 pm
@dlowan,
I don't want to be in the key seat in the exit row, though I have been. I have a clumsy streak.

I bet websites that have plane safety instructions are doing well now.

Meantime, I think Sully is sharp, having looked at his website yesterday. But even he with his experience may have aftereffects from this. What a shivermaker.

I figure games are being designed up the wazoo now... no, I mean up the Hudson. Movie treatments being hurled..

Seems like the passengers were as great as the pilot. Not to heroize people, but to enjoy.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:15 pm
I have a question for all you engineer types.

Why is it that they don't have some sort of wire mesh covering the openings of the turbine engines to better protect them from impacts with birds?

It is so obviously a solution to me that there must be a reason it is not done. Would the mesh create such an obstructed air flow in the engines that it would not be used? Is there no light-weight mesh strong enough to withstand the impact of birds at jet air speeds?

http://www.dlktsw.com/pic/chain%20link%20fence.jpg
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
This morning they said something along the lines about the impact of a bird on a plane when it is taking off. The impact of a 5 kg (12 pound) bird at 240 km/h (150 mph) equals that of a 1/2 ton (1000 pound) weight dropped from a height of 3 meters (10 ft). So it would destroy the mesh opening.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:26 pm
@Butrflynet,
Good question..

I'll guess the screen that would begin to do any good might impede (somehow),

and still get gummed up with a flock, obliterating the power (somehow).

It seems like it isn't one bird that can do this, but many.

So said out of total ignorance.

awaits answers to your question..

0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 04:29 pm
@Butrflynet,
Here is a great article describing how this happens...
http://www.livescience.com/technology/090115-jet-engine-bird-strikes.html
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:03 pm
@roger,
Not if Gus is, at that moment, thinking of his birds, Roger.
JTT

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:05 pm
@Montana,
Quote:
Yeah, he can have my back any day

Right after Gus laid claim to it, ... you ole two timer, Montana.
Montana

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:12 pm
@JTT,
Shhhhhhh....No one has to know Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:43 pm
@JTT,
Well, he is speaking of his flock.

Thanks, by the way. I feared the digression was going to die.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:49 pm
@Linkat,
Thanks for the link, linkat.. that helped.

..still wondering about butrflynet's idea of a screen..