Plane crashes into Hudson River

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:15 am
@Eorl,
That was a pretty obscure joke, Boss . . . are you sure everyone will smoke that out?

And i ran
I ran so far away . . .
Eorl

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 07:52 am
@Setanta,
One person is enough. It's no fun if everybody gets it.
Joe Nation

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 08:57 am
I am one of the flying public. I am one of the ones who watches and listens to the pre-flight instructions and who always shivers when the words "In the unlikely condition that we are forced to ditch... ." come burbling over the P/A. I know that my seat cushion can be used for a flotation device. I am never comforted by any of it.

Now I am.

The procedures worked just like they have in all those practice sessions. Kudos to the pilot and the crew for their competence and cool.

Hey, and kudos to the passengers who, as the last passenger to leave the plane said last night, "Behaved as well as could be expected under the circumstances." Duh. Freezing water up to my waist and, unless I am accompanied by Kate Winslet, I cannot guarantee that I would behave in any manner which could be described as competent and cool. Those people were remarkable. Standing on the wing, looking as if they were at any other bus stop in the city. The only thing that was missing was that no one was reading a newspaper.

I salute all of them. 'twas a great day in the history of humanity.
=====
Two more things:
1) The current in the Hudson flows quickly but imperceptibly. The rescuers (YAY! More Brave Humans!) constantly had to adjust as the plane moved downstream. It landed at 44th Street. It's now down by the Battery. That's about two and half miles.

2)'Tis a good thing the pilot had flown F4s. I once read somewhere a pilot describing how a F4 acts once it's engine flames out.
"Oh, it's not a problem." he said. "Without forward thrust, the F4 flies as good as any other piano."

Joe(play Misty for me)Nation

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:18 am
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

I heard it was caused by a flock of seagulls.

Maybe the pilot heard they were reforming or something...

Maybe, but I still think something went a-fowl with the engines...
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:28 am
@kickycan,
Its those damn Canadian Geese. Can't stand them - they screw up everything - from golf courses to pooping all over my neighborhood and standing in the middle of the street like they own the world.

One of those damn things hissed at me when I was on my walk, I kicked the damn thing over and over til he begged for mercy. Well, not really, but I wanted to - instead I gave him quite a scolding to shut his damn mouth up.

I tell you Canadian geese are a menance and they have been overpopulating.
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:37 am
@Linkat,
And I can tell you that Canadian Geese...are not Canadian Geese. They are Canada Geese. Not named after a country...but a person.
farmerman

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:42 am
@Frank Apisa,
relax frankie, youre starting to sound like set. If youre gonna correct everybody all the time thatd be a full time job and the returns are very small.
Francis

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:45 am
@Eorl,
Not funny now. A second one got it...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
Ya know this is the sort of thing that makes me leave A2k like I did before - when people go in and correct grammer, spelling and other crap and all you are doing is making a joke. Lighten up will ya!

I would go on now about the Canadians and how they are attacking us Americans through their use of specially trained geese, but some bozo would explain how you can't possibly train geese to commit suicide for the good of their country.
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:49 am
@farmerman,
thanks - didn't even see this until now.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 09:55 am
@Linkat,
Jesus H. Christ, man...I thought it WAS a light comment...

...and something most people do not know.

I thought it was interesting...not trying to "correct" you.

IT IS AN INTERESTING FACT THAT THE GEESE MOST PEOPLE CALL CANADIAN GEESE ARE IN FACT CANADA GEESE, NOT CANADIAN GEESE.

**** the Canadians...buncha assholes anyway, especially Blatham.

Lighten the hell up yourself...and you too, Farmerman.

Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 10:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
The one thing I don't hold grudges (but i can't resist)

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1164/1158046108_b4131845ac.jpg?v=0
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:01 pm
According to US intelligence agencies, numerous radical Islamic websites posted a statement by Ayman al-Zawahiri claiming that the birds had been trained at a secret al-Qaeda run camp in Pakistan. Unnamed US intelligence sources have said that they believe that the operatives most likely arrived in the US in the fall and covertly assimilated themselves into the migratory patterns of North American birds.
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 12:17 pm
@Zippo,
sounds plausible.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 02:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
**** the Canadians...buncha assholes anyway, especially Blatham.

Hey, **** you too Razz Laughing
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:09 pm
@Montana,
I don't mind the damn Canadians - some of them are ok, just those damn Geese - you guys can keep them!
Montana

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:22 pm
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

I don't mind the damn Canadians - some of them are ok, just those damn Geese - you guys can keep them!

Laughing No worries Linkat. I know you don't have issues with Canadians and I'll tell you a little secret. I felt the same as you when I lived in the sates. They had started getting a little overwhelming over there before I left, so I hear ya.

Now that I live in the country, they **** wherever and we don't notice because of all the open land and grass.

Since we live right on the ocean, the seagulls are worse here. Had one take a nice heathy dump on my back as I was weeding in my garden one summer. The SOB even looked back to make sure he got me Laughing
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:26 pm
@Montana,
You know that was meant for Bernie...not you, Montana.

By the way, I'm a golfer (like I gotta mention that to you!)...and nothing, but nothing, screws with a putt like goose ****!

And we got geese and goose **** all over the place.

The person who figures out some way to profit from goose **** is gonna own the world!
Linkat

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:28 pm
@Montana,
I hope you peg him with a rock or something - those things are rats with wings.
Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jan, 2009 03:28 pm
People have gotten rich from bird **** . . . but that was islands in the ocean where the birds had been shittin' for thousands of years . . . when you can cart it off by the ton, it's easy to make a fortune.