THE WAR IN GAZA

Steve 41oo

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:18 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

No matter what Israel does or doesn't do in defending itself, its enemies deem it to be guilty of something..

because its true

Independent wrote:
A senior legal official who secretly warned the government of Israel after the Six Day War of 1967 that it would be illegal to build Jewish settlements in the occupied Palestinian territories has said, for the first time, that he still believes that he was right.

The declaration by Theodor Meron, the Israeli Foreign Ministry's legal adviser at the time and today one of the world's leading international jurists, is a serious blow to Israel's persistent argument that the settlements do not violate international law, particularly as Israel prepares to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the war in June 1967.
High Seas

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 06:31 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

Advocate wrote:

No matter what Israel does or doesn't do in defending itself, its enemies deem it to be guilty of something..

because its true

With respect, Steve, that reply involves a logical fallacy listed in the Principia Mathematica under the heading "The Golden Mountain does not Exist"; it consists of adopting a hypothetical phoneme, term, or datum (e.g. the article "the" or the verb "defending" in these 2 examples) on to the syllogism proving that they are wrong.

Correct would be that "defence" (well, defense as spelled here, but the issue is logic not spelling) constitutes appallingly Orwellian newspeak at its worst in this case, and that "the" cannot be logically shown to meet the Scottish jury's option "not proven!" but that "a" can, and does. It's a matter of esoteric number theory, with which I'd never bother an engineer Smile
0 Replies

Advocate

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:24 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve, wow! A legal officer said it was illegal, so it must be so. Was he even a member of the bar?
Walter Hinteler

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 03:10 am
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

Steve, wow! A legal officer said it was illegal, so it must be so. Was he even a member of the bar?

Theodor Meron on Wikipedia, with references.
More infos
spendius

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 04:40 am
@Steve 41oo,
Might is legal Steve. Did you not know? Mr and Mrs Blair are both legal officers.
0 Replies

Foofie

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:51 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Foofie wrote:
In the American National Anthem, I thought it is asked for God to bless America.

I thought the American National Anthem was mainly about rockets and "bombs bursting in air". I don't recall any part where someone asked for god to bless America.

You are American, right?

I got my songs mixed up.
Foofie

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:55 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
Look carefully and you might discover that Jews are not a race.

I know they are not a race. Going back 1000 years I am related to them all myself.

This sounds to me as preposterous, since I have never heard of anyone knowing a thousand year old relative. What do you base your claim on?
Foofie

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 11:00 am
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

Stirring stuff HS but as I was musing last night, its a pity we didnt hang onto the American colonies. What the world would be like with Britannia ruling land sea and air!

There now follows several verses of "Land of Hope and Glory..."

Correction: "its a pity..." above is a contraction; therefore it needs a " ' " (it's).

One might be assuming that the Anglican Brits could have done what the American Protestant WASP's could have done. That might be a very false conclusion.
Foofie

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 11:09 am
@old europe,
old europe wrote:

Foofie wrote:
In the American National Anthem, I thought it is asked for God to bless America.

I thought the American National Anthem was mainly about rockets and "bombs bursting in air". I don't recall any part where someone asked for god to bless America.

You are American, right?

You just offered me the pleasure of snubbing your question, by not answering the question whether or not I am American. Since you are not American, but "Old Europe," I will afford myself the pleasure of snubbing your question. You have been snubbed.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 01:00 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
This sounds to me as preposterous, since I have never heard of anyone knowing a thousand year old relative. What do you base your claim on?

The same evidence that has me related to monkeys going back a few million years.

It is calculated that each of us has 10,000,000 direct ancestors who lived in 1000AD. Which makes 20,000,000 in 975 AD. I ought to have said "the vast majority" instead of "all" and 2,000 years instead of 1,000. I wasn't aware you are pedantic.

So you can see what silly soddery geneology is.
old europe

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 01:31 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

old europe wrote:

Foofie wrote:

You are American, right?

I got my songs mixed up.

No problem. It's just the national anthem anyways.
0 Replies

Advocate

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 03:11 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Even top lawyers are frequently wrong. Court decisions bear that out daily.
0 Replies

Foofie

Tue 27 Jan, 2009 07:03 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:

The same evidence that has me related to monkeys going back a few million years.

It is calculated that each of us has 10,000,000 direct ancestors who lived in 1000AD. Which makes 20,000,000 in 975 AD. I ought to have said "the vast majority" instead of "all" and 2,000 years instead of 1,000. I wasn't aware you are pedantic.

So you can see what silly soddery geneology is.

Hold it. If your ancestors were in England back then, and mine were on the continent, then you are wrong. I might be related to someone German, Russian, Turkish, but not a Brit!
spendius

Wed 28 Jan, 2009 04:58 am
@Foofie,
My ancestors of 2,000 years, and your's, were all over the place.

The gonads don't have nationality. Nationality is a social construct. You have 1,o12 ancestors back just 10 generations. 1750 AD say. 518,144 back in 1500AD. I'd bet you are related to Henry the Eighth. And Vlad the Impaler. And Pope Leo X. And all the prostitutes who attended the Council of Trent.

Foofie

Wed 28 Jan, 2009 12:17 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

My ancestors of 2,000 years, and your's, were all over the place.

The gonads don't have nationality. Nationality is a social construct. You have 1,o12 ancestors back just 10 generations. 1750 AD say. 518,144 back in 1500AD. I'd bet you are related to Henry the Eighth. And Vlad the Impaler. And Pope Leo X. And all the prostitutes who attended the Council of Trent.

So why not go back pre-hominid? You need not answer, Holmes.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Wed 28 Jan, 2009 02:43 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Steve 41oo wrote:

Stirring stuff HS but as I was musing last night, its a pity we didnt hang onto the American colonies. What the world would be like with Britannia ruling land sea and air!

Correction: "its a pity..." above is a contraction; therefore it needs a " ' " (it's).

One might be assuming that the Anglican Brits could have done what the American Protestant WASP's could have done. That might be a very false conclusion.
there are two contractions. both deliberate. You only found one.
Foofie

Wed 28 Jan, 2009 09:39 pm
@Steve 41oo,
Steve 41oo wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Steve 41oo wrote:

there are two contractions. both deliberate. You only found one.

The lack of an apostrophe for "didnt" was just quick typing, I thought. However, the lack of an apostrophe for "its" sometimes reflects not knowing which version of the word requires an apostrophe (as a contraction, or denoting possession).

spendius

Thu 29 Jan, 2009 04:41 am
@Foofie,
It's rather a trivial concern Foof considering the topic of this thread. Something of a gargantuan solecism don't you think? Even moreso if you take into account the momentous nature of the sentiment you were addressing.

Shouldn't Steve have had stops after H.S. to mark the abbreviations and a comma after "but"?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Thu 29 Jan, 2009 06:58 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
The lack of an apostrophe for "didnt" was just quick typing, I thought. However, the lack of an apostrophe for "its" sometimes reflects not knowing which version of the word requires an apostrophe (as a contraction, or denoting possession).
Woof, you are quite a pedant for a doggy. The apostrophe is dead. Its a fact.
spendius

Thu 29 Jan, 2009 07:22 am
@Steve 41oo,
If you look bottom right Steve you will see one in the Google ads.

I always use it for such things as "It's that dog's bone."
0 Replies