THE WAR IN GAZA

Montana

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 01:54 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't know Frank, I was a bartender as well and I've seen many paople who were once enemies, suddenly become friends.

I'm thinking since this dispute is between the governments over there, it wouldn't hurt to get them out of the picture, throw it 2 neutral parties and see where that takes them.

If my good feelings about Obama are not playing tricks on me, I think he could make a world of difference.

<waving to Frank>
Montana

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 01:56 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Funny that ebrown and FreeDuck both came up with the "economic crisis" scenario.

Could be!

Could be!

Gotta cross our fingers, legs, and anything else that can be crossed without lottsa pain.

I just wish, for everyone's sake, that this thing would just stop.

Me three. Everythings crossed.
H2O MAN

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 01:58 pm
@Montana,

HAMAS is the terrorist organization that is attacking the country of Israel from within the country of Palestine.

What kind of tricks do you think O boy has up his sleeve that will change the situation?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 02:03 pm
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

I don't know Frank, I was a bartender as well and I've seen many paople who were once enemies, suddenly become friends.

I've seen that too. It was usually AFTER meeting the local ecstasy dealer...
Frank Apisa

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 02:16 pm
@Montana,
Hey Montana. Didn't mean to disregard you...but after I hit the "reply" button, I remembered I didn't say hello. Knew you'd be back with another comment...and I'd get another chance.

So...Hi!

Glad everything is crossed.

Although I imagine the people watching you must be wondering why you just don't go to the john and pee!
Montana

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 02:21 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Montana wrote:

I've seen that too. It was usually AFTER meeting the local ecstasy dealer...

Laughing I was going to say that it's usually after at least 8 or so beers. Ecstasy wasn't around back then and there wasn't anymore acid to be found Drunk

0 Replies

Montana

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 02:22 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Hey Montana. Didn't mean to disregard you...but after I hit the "reply" button, I remembered I didn't say hello. Knew you'd be back with another comment...and I'd get another chance.

So...Hi!

Glad everything is crossed.

Although I imagine the people watching you must be wondering why you just don't go to the john and pee!

Gotta watch those watchers! Always great to see ya Frank! Very Happy
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 03:06 pm

From the looks of things, O boy will only make matters worse for the Palestinian people.
Montana

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 03:13 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

From the looks of things, O boy will only make matters worse for the Palestinian people.

Nothing less than I would expect you to think.
H2O MAN

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 03:50 pm
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

Blah, blah, blah...

What kind of tricks do you think O boy has up his sleeve that will change the situation?
Montana

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 04:17 pm
@H2O MAN,
That's easy. Compassion. At least I'm hoping! He doesn't seem like the money hungry, war monger type, but I've been wrong before.

We'll see.
roger

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 04:30 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

Are you ******* kidding us? They have no water. They have no real natural resources. No access to shipping through a port city. No industry. No financing or underlying infrastructure. What do you expect them to 'build up?' This is one of the dumbest and most insulting things you've ever written, Foofie; you're blaming the prisoners for not making the prison a nicer place on the inside, when it's your people who have starved and choked them off from the outside world.
Cycloptichorn

I quoted this just because it's worth repeating. Too, even were it not true, it has to be hard to make serious investments in infrastructure or business when some nitwit next door might decide to set off some rockets, making your neighborhood into the next target.
Cycloptichorn

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 04:33 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

Are you ******* kidding us? They have no water. They have no real natural resources. No access to shipping through a port city. No industry. No financing or underlying infrastructure. What do you expect them to 'build up?' This is one of the dumbest and most insulting things you've ever written, Foofie; you're blaming the prisoners for not making the prison a nicer place on the inside, when it's your people who have starved and choked them off from the outside world.
Cycloptichorn

I quoted this just because it's worth repeating. Too, even were it not true, it has to be hard to make serious investments in infrastructure or business when some nitwit next door might decide to set off some rockets, making your neighborhood into the next target.

Yes, that is a problem. But the lack of water, shipping ports, and natural resources far dwarfs that problem. If you want confirmation, look at the dollars pouring into Iraq and Afghanistan right now from foreign investors...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 05:14 pm
@Montana,

You are hoping O boy will be like GW... we should be so lucky.
Montana

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 06:17 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

You are hoping O boy will be like GW... we should be so lucky.

No, those would be your hopes and you need not worry about mine. Please don't put words in my mouth.
H2O MAN

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 06:35 pm
@Montana,

My hopes are shared by civilized peoples worldwide.
okie

Mon 12 Jan, 2009 10:15 pm
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

We can only hope that someday the Palestinians will get tired of the despots, terrorist, and war mongers running their area and join the civilized world by doing something productive for themselves.
JTT

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 12:02 am
@okie,
Quote:
We can only hope that someday the Palestinians will get tired of the despots, terrorist, and war mongers running their area and join the civilized world by doing something productive for themselves.

Okie's doing it again. The hypocrisy!!!

Quote:

Massacre story needs to be told
By RON ROYHAB
BLADE EXECUTIVE EDITOR

Mike Ware of Haskins, Ohio, a veteran of the Army's 101st Airborne Division who served in Vietnam during America's most controversial and divisive war, reacted to an ad in The Blade last week that promoted the series of articles that started on today's front page.

This series reveals for the first time anywhere that members of a platoon of American soldiers from the 101st known as Tiger Force slaughtered an untold number of Vietnamese civilians over a seven-month period in 1967.

After a 4 1/2 -year Army investigation concluded that at least 18 Tiger Force soldiers committed war crimes, the matter was dropped by the Army. The official files were buried in the Army's archives since 1975, and to this day military officials continue to withhold them from the public.

Mr. Ware called The Blade to ask about our series. "Why do you have to do this?"

That's a fair question, and one that other readers may be asking.

Why would we write about war crimes committed by American soldiers during an unpopular war 36 years ago? Why would we spend eight months researching records, interviewing more than 100 people, and travel to two provinces in Vietnam, and to California, Arizona, Washington state, Indiana, Washington, and several cities in Ohio and Michigan for this story?

This was a serious topic of discussion among Blade editors and the newspaper's publisher and editor-in-chief, John Robinson Block. One reason is that the public has a right to know that American soldiers committed atrocities and that our government kept them from the public. We would have been party to a cover-up if we had knowledge of these war crimes and did not publish the story.

Wrongdoing on this grand a scale is always significant. It is important to know what happened and why it happened because that's how a democracy functions. The people need to know what is being done in their name and who is responsible.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SRTIGERFORCE/110190136

0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 06:45 am
@okie,
okie wrote:

H2O MAN wrote:

We can only hope that someday the Palestinians will get tired of the despots, terrorist, and war
mongers running their area and join the civilized world by doing something productive for themselves.

We can only hope for such a change, but our hopes have dimmed because the US is slipping
into the realm of unproductive, left wing mambie pambieisim with O boy leading the way.

0 Replies

revel

Tue 13 Jan, 2009 08:39 am
On most issues, I have a good feeling about Obama and how he will handle them, but when it comes to the Israel/Palestine issue, I am not so sure. In fact I have strong doubts about being pleased with his policies.

I am just hoping he won't be such a willing slave to Olmert (or whoever will be in charge of Israel) as Bush. According Olmert, Rice was ready to sign a resolution she was for the most part responsible for in creating until at the eleventh hour Olmert called Bush away from some kind of event, and told him not to let Rice vote for the resolution.

Quote:
JERUSALEM (AFP) " US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice was left shame-faced after President George W. Bush ordered her to abstain in a key UN vote on the Gaza war, Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said on Monday.

"She was left shamed. A resolution that she prepared and arranged, and in the end she did not vote in favour," Olmert said in a speech in the southern town of Ashkelon.

The UN Security Council passed a resolution last Thursday calling for an immediate ceasefire in the three-week-old conflict in the Gaza Strip and an Israeli withdrawal from Gaza where hundreds have been killed.

Fourteen of the council's 15 members voted in favour of the resolution, which was later rejected by both Israel and Hamas.

The United States, Israel's main ally, had initially been expected to voted in line with the other 14 but Rice later became the sole abstention.

"In the night between Thursday and Friday, when the secretary of state wanted to lead the vote on a ceasefire at the Security Council, we did not want her to vote in favour," Olmert said.

"I said 'get me President Bush on the phone'. They said he was in the middle of giving a speech in Philadelphia. I said I didn't care. 'I need to talk to him now'. He got off the podium and spoke to me.

"I told him the United States could not vote in favour. It cannot vote in favour of such a resolution. He immediately called the secretary of state and told her not to vote in favour."

Bush has consistently placed the blame for the conflict on Hamas, telling reporters on Monday that while he wanted to see a "sustainable ceasefire" in Gaza, it was up to Hamas to choose to end its rocket fire on Israel.

But a US State Department official, speaking on the condition of anonymity, denied Olmert's claim.

"Mr. Olmert is wrong," the official said.

Even if everything had gone according to plan, "she would have abstained. That was the plan," said the official. "The government of Israel does not make US policy."

source