THE WAR IN GAZA

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:32 am
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

35% of the dead were children and 15% women. They targeted schools!!!!

Half the dead are women and children. Must make them so very proud!!!!!!!

HAMAS is very proud of the death and destruction they are bringing to Palestine and
the Palestinians seem happy with the results because they refuse to oust HAMAS...
Montana

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:39 am
H2O, ever think maybe the people are scared. From everything I'm reading, it looks to me that this war is strictly between the governments, so what's with the 35% dead children? That number is beyond disterbing!
FreeDuck

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:49 am
@Ticomaya,
Epstein wrote:

It is a given that if Hamas were to renounce the use of force, the Israelis would instantly follow suit.

No, it isn't a given. Decades of assassinations and incursions tell us otherwise.

Quote:
But when Hamas declares open season on Israeli civilians, what may the Israelis do in response?

Why declare (as if it were a new thing) open season on Palestinian civilians, of course. Tit for tat is the way to peace, dontcha know. For every one Israeli that Hamas kills they should kill 100 Palestinians. That should show them who's boss, right? I mean, it worked the other 10 or more times they've tried it, that's why they have to keep doing it.

Here's an idea. Maybe they could address the fundamental injustice in the Palestinian situation and negotiate for a fully independent Palestinian state with equal rights to self-defense (among other things). Then they wouldn't have to come up with these complicated and unconvincing rationalizations and justifications for massacre.

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 08:57 am
@Montana,

The tactics HAMAS employs are very disturbing.
Advocate

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:33 am
@H2O MAN,
Maybe the following explains why Israel is not willing to hastily enter into a ceasefire agreement.

Vic Alhadeff, in The Sydney Morning Herald, Australia: "For six months a truce was in effect between Israel and Hamas. In truth, the rocket attacks from Gaza aimed at Israeli civilians only declined; they did not cease. Hamas continued to smuggle weapons from Egypt into Gaza. … The truce ended on Dec. 19, and Israel sought an extension. Between Dec. 24 and 27, Hamas fired 80 rockets a day at Israel and declared it would not renew the truce. The attacks continued unabated. By Dec. 27, Israelis had had enough. Backed by Iran, Hamas's attacks against Israel are a crime against humanity because they aim to kill civilians. Hamas and its accomplices have fired about 8,000 rockets and mortars at Israel since 2001, forcing 250,000 civilians to spend the past eight years in and out of bomb shelters."

On another matter, why would the Israeli military waste its efforts in attacking what is purely a school? It hit a school from which Hamas fired shells at lsrael's forces.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 09:47 am
This is a discussion of the true character and aims of Hamas.

Amir Taheri, author, in The Times, London: "Hamas has forged an alliance with Iran based on President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's strategy of 'wiping Israel off the map'. … Hamas, as its charter and political literature make clear, does not want an end to Israeli occupation. It wants the end of Israel. That is because Hamas is part of a pan-Islamist movement with global messianic ambitions. Creating a Palestinian state in Gaza and the West Bank is not its aim. A branch of the Muslim Brotherhood, Hamas dreams of world dominion for its version of Islam rather than a mini-state in 5,000 square kilometres of barren land in a geopolitical backyard."
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 11:24 am

there are no excuses

http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/index.html

It's a massacre and those who condone it are condemning humanity beyond Gaza
It's a ******* disgrace
H2O MAN

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 11:27 am
@Endymion,

Any support of HAMAS is a disgrace!
Those that do not support Israels efforts to rid Palestine of these terrorists are supporting ALL terrorists.
Foofie

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 11:48 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Foofie,

You do know what the word "blockade" means, right?

That is a non-sequitor. Egypt, a Muslim nation, is their neighbor. Does not Egypt know how to be a friendly neighbor, a la Mr. Rogers?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 11:59 am
@H2O MAN,
H2O MAN wrote:

HAMAS is causing the death of Palestinian children and nobody cares...

I understand your comment above.

And some people in western nations, that do not have rockets flying into their neighborhoods, are condemning Israel for protecting its bounderies. I thought only Marie Antoinette, when she said, "Let the peasants eat cake, if they do not have bread" would ignore the reality that not everyone has cake. The analogy being that those that think it is unacceptable for Israel to strike back, after eight years of Israel being the recipient of rockets from Gaza, are also ignoring the fact that they likely live in a peaceful western nation. No rockets in their backyard, I would have to believe. It is easy to be concerned about civilian casualties elsewhere, when one lives in relative safety in one's own country where there are no warlike neighbors.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:02 pm
@FreeDuck,
FreeDuck wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Hamas does not, nor will not, based on its charter, accept the existence of Israel.

And Likud will not accept the existence of a Palestinian state. So what.

I have no idea how Likud relates to the multi-party, coaltion governments in Israel. You need to be specific, rather than make, what for me is, oblique repartee.
JTT

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:06 pm
@H2O MAN,
Quote:
... are supporting ALL terrorists.

Including you and the rest of the terrorists who support illegal invasions of sovereign nations, CIA terrorist actions around the world, the terrorism that has been a hallmark of Israel since its inception, ... .
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:09 pm
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

No it does not. When Golda Meier was the Prime Minister, and she spoke to Sadat (I think) after their war, she explained, "I can forgive your country for killing my soldiers, but I can never forgive your country for making my country kill your people." You can look it up; this was my paraphrase. The thought is valid, though.

The comment above, "Must make them so very proud!!!!!!!" is anti-Semitic, since we did not hear such comments after the U.S. went to war, or conflict, and effected civilian casualties (anyone remember Hiroshima). The inference being that Jews as soldiers are demons. What you fail to forget is the Israeli bombing and ground offensive would have stopped as soon as the rockets would stop and the supplies of rockets would be abandoned. And why do Palestineans in Gaza need a supply of rockets?
Foofie

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:10 pm
@Montana,
Montana wrote:

H2O, ever think maybe the people are scared. From everything I'm reading, it looks to me that this war is strictly between the governments, so what's with the 35% dead children? That number is beyond disterbing!

But not disturbing for Hamas, apparently, or they would stop the rockets, and give them to back to whoever gave them! Did you not know that all rockets come with a 90 day money back guarantee if one has an epiphany of civilized thinking?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:11 pm
@H2O MAN,
H20man is proud of the support that he has unconditionally offered that caused the death of 500,000 Iraqi children even before the illegal invasion. Those who have died since in the illegal invasion are like icing on the cake to the "human" known as h20man.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:11 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Montana wrote:

No it does not. When Golda Meier was the Prime Minister, and she spoke to Sadat (I think) after their war, she explained, "I can forgive your country for killing my soldiers, but I can never forgive your country for making my country kill your people." You can look it up; this was my paraphrase. The thought is valid, though.

The comment above, "Must make them so very proud!!!!!!!" is anti-Semitic, since we did not hear such comments after the U.S. went to war, or conflict, and effected civilian casualties (anyone remember Hiroshima). The inference being that Jews as soldiers are demons. What you fail to forget is the Israeli bombing and ground offensive would have stopped as soon as the rockets would stop and the supplies of rockets would be abandoned. And why do Palestineans in Gaza need a supply of rockets?

They need the rockets for the same reason Israel needs Billions of dollars from the US every year; to have weapons to attack their enemies.

You ought to be proud of what Israel is doing, Foofie; they made a choice to murder women and children who had done nothing. They are continuing to do so on a daily basis. You don't seem to recall that these very same comments were made about America during Vietnam and every war afterward...

Cycloptichorn
Foofie

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:14 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

H20man is proud of the support that he has unconditionally offered that caused the death of 500,000 Iraqi children even before the illegal invasion. Those who have died since in the illegal invasion are like icing on the cake to the "human" known as h20man.

Ad-hominems do not prove the correctness of one's position. Did you not take A2K Logic 101?
JTT

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:25 pm
@Foofie,
I haven't seen any postings from you condemning those genocidal actions, Foofie. Is it that you too are/were in favor of the deaths of half a million Iraqi children?
Foofie

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:25 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

You ought to be proud of what Israel is doing, Foofie; they made a choice to murder women and children who had done nothing. They are continuing to do so on a daily basis. You don't seem to recall that these very same comments were made about America during Vietnam and every war afterward...

Cycloptichorn

<sound of buzzer> Wrong again! I am only proud to be an American, a U.S. Vietnam Era veteran, a New Yorker, a Republican, a conservative, and on the right side of the bellcurve.

What you fail to remember is that Israel is no greater in the "morality department" than any other nation. If the U.S. can go to war, when its land is not under attack, then Israel can go to war when its land IS under attack. And, you can check out if all modern wars have civilian casualties. Only in ancient times, when armies met on battlefields, far from the cities, were there no civilian casualties. Perhaps, the democratic process does make us culpable for what one's country does (act belligerently by sending rockets into a neighbor's territory)?

By the way, I really am quite a humble guy. Perhaps annoying to political liberals (I am socially liberal), but humble nevertheless!

Foofie

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2009 12:29 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

I haven't seen any postings from you condemning those genocidal actions, Foofie. Is it that you too are/were in favor of the deaths of half a million Iraqi children?

Why must I condemn anything? Why must I comment on them? My character is not the issue, unless you choose to mind my business.