Do you ever really get over depression?

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 12:05 am
My depression started when my parents seperated at age 16. My grandmother passed when I was 16. (we were very close) I was raped by an ex-boyfriend at age 17. My father passed away 1 month before I turned 18. I got married to someone I only knew for 1 month, because we "LOVED" each other when I was 23. No one knew until a year later. We had a horrible 1st year. My son was 3 months premature. My husband and I still are married going on 5 yrs and still having problems less than in the 1st couple of years. I told him today after a huge fight I want out. I feel like I am going crazy emotionally because I am hurting. I am thinking of committing myself because I don't know if I can handle this. I just put a bandaide on my emotions and keep on going. I'm scared of what will happen if I go through it.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,530 • Replies: 3
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 03:07 am
@autumn8018,
Sorry to hear that you are feeling so low.

You certainly have had a bunch of difficult stuff happen. These sorts of things can accumulate and leave us feeling terrible...often they all seem to gather themselves together and hit us a hammer blow at one time or another.

Have you ever seen anyone to help you deal with any of this?

If you seriously feel suicidal, you need to check in with whatever mental health service is in your area...or at least a good GP.

I doubt it is all that easy to get yourself committed, but talking with someone is a damn fine idea, as is a good assessment of what is going on for you, as there may be post-traumatic symptoms and unresolved grief as well as depression.

For most people, therapy with a good and competent person is the best idea. For some, a period on medication can also really help.

For most people, depression is a temporary state, though there is always some chance of relapse. Cognitive behavioural therapy with a really good person seems to be statistically the most helpful in preventing a relapse.

It often helps if you let people here know what country you are in...and state.

Lots of people here live in the USA and are good at helping you find resources in your area if you also live in the US. I am in Australia, and the US health system kind of baffles me, so I am not great at helping in that specific way.

This is not the time to revert to old habits and "put a bandaid" on your emotions. I doubt very much you are going crazy, but it sounds as if you really need some skilled support.

This may also not be the best time to make major decisions about your marriage, unless it is a negative and bad thing for you to be in. Would your husband be able to look at problems in the marriage with you, and be prepared to make some changes, too?

I am not sure when your child was born.....however, if it was fairly recently, you need to be wary of post-natal depression, and act fast, as not only is it bad for you to be depressed, untreated depression can get in the way of you and your son having the kind of relationship you want. Given your history of loss, a birth and parenting can be a time when those losses really hit....but it is also a great time to deal with them really effectively.

With help, you should be able to feel and stay a lot better. You sound very resilient.

0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 03:44 am
Some basic rules that will truly help!

1) Simplify your life as much as possible

2) Take really good care of your health
- Sleep well
- Eat well
- No drugs
- No alcohol
- No cigarettes
- No junk food

3) Deal with one thing at a time

0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 29 Dec, 2008 06:40 am
Autumn - Please listen to the dlowan rabbit. She knows these things.

You have had a lot of things to deal with and it doesn't sound as if you have really dealt with them and found peace. PLEASE talk to someone. Committing yourself can lead to all sorts of additional trauma, including the possibility of losing your child if you do divorce.

Find a professional therapist through your local social service if you do not have insurance. Talk to them before making any decisions about divorce. (Unless it is an abusive marriage as dlowan indicated)

You must have tremendous inner strength to have endured to this point. Know that and hold onto it. Depression can be treated.

0 Replies