GET OUT OF AFGHANISTAN

hamburgboy

Reply Tue 3 Nov, 2009 06:13 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
Does Karzai=Diem?

is that a new dance - two forward , three backward .

here it is :

http://vidpk.com/31354/Obama--Karzai--Zardari-Dancing-on-Geo-Tv-Funny/

0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 02:53 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
I think that we should try harder to win in Afghanistan, and I'm disgusted by your attitude about dealing with people who helped a group that attacked us and murdered our citizens.

I keep hearing the same lines in 2009 that you were repeating several years ago Brandon. You do realize that every year, around 1200 women in the US are killed by their intimate partner.
http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/homicide/intimates.htm
Since 9/11, close to 10 000 women have lost their lives in the most horrific way possible--even more horrific and tragic than 9/11.
Having a jet airplane immediately terminate the lives of 2 years worth of intimate partner deaths is a tragedy....but you need some perspective man. Every death is a tragedy, but, it All you have done since I joined A2K is defend what has become, in every manner possible, an indefensible position.

You have vehemently defended the invasion of Iraq, under whatever metamorphosing pretext the war was undertaken, and here you continue to give an indefinite defense of the invasion / occupation of Afghanistan....all from the convenience and comfort of your own home.

There is a reality about war, about these wars, and you need to open your eyes to what is actually going on. Initially, the premise of an invasion of Afghanistan was sound. It no longer is. Why is it so important to cling to a position that no longer makes any sense?

So when asked how many more American lives lost in these sinkholes is "worth it"....try to get your head around the idea of what would happen if the US pulled out.

To date, 2,976 people were victims of 911.....2600 or so actually American. From the Iraq war, 4,345 American Servicemen and women are dead as of September 20, 2009. As of April 6, 2009 there were 31,102 wounded in action. And the most conservative estimates for innocent Iraqi deaths exceed 100 000...and over 5 million kids have been orphaned. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Iraq_War#Iraq_Body_Count

Since 2001, what has been gained? What value do we attach to these deaths, injuries and orphans? Has the US made it's point to the perpetrators of 9/11? What was / is that point?

Do us all a favor:
1. Define what it means to "win" Iraq or Afghanistan in tangible and maningful terms
Then,
2. Explain to us how hundreds of thousands of wasted innocent lives justify, or avenge, the 3000 who died in 911.
After that,
3. simply state a time frame, a number, or a cost that would suffice to say that success has been reached, or the deaths have been avenged.
High Seas

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 03:34 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

Does Karzai=Diem?

Certainly not. Trust in Gen. McChrystal, however: he's figured out that the best plan to follow in this dire situation wasn't that old Egress Recap (didn't work too well, as you recall) but one written many, many centuries before, which actually worked just fine Smile
http://www.classicsofstrategy.com/
Quote:
The military success of the Ten Thousand had less to do with the famous hoplite tactics than with the ability to adapt on the fly to widely different fighting conditions, especially marching while under pursuit (Xenophon, for instance, urged that they deploy in towns and villages when threatened in the rear by an attacking force, rather than engage in a fighting retreat). The Greeks jury-rigged a cavalry force and slingers to replace the capabilities lost with the destruction of Cyrus’s army. They reduced their baggage and animals, and recently-acquired slaves, to the bare minimum to ease logistical demands.

Diplomacy proved to be essential to the success of the expedition. [.....]

But as they moved into the territories outside Persian control, they must find ways to address the “security dilemma” to avoid unnecessary battles without undue risk of being lured into a trap. They struck agreements with cities and tribes to fight their local enemies in return for safe passage, guides, and supplies. They told their prospective allies that they would never again have at their disposal such a force with which to obtain their objectives.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:06 pm
@candidone1,
Quote:
Initially, the premise of an invasion of Afghanistan was sound.

It never was, Candidone. It was simply the USA positioning themselves to take advantage of Caspian oil resources.

Quote:
But as American warplanes entered the second week of the bombing campaign, Washington rejected the Taliban offer out of hand. "When I said no negotiations I meant no negotiations," Mr Bush said. "We know he's guilty. Turn him over. There's no need to discuss innocence or guilt."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/bush-rejects-taliban-offer-to-surrender-bin-laden-631436.html

Odd that, the FBI aren't at all sure that Bin Laden is guilty.

And isn't it a little funny for a man whose stated aim was getting Bin Laden to take a tact of "no negotiations"?

How many thousands of innocent Afghans and Iraqis could have been spared? How many soldiers?

"no negotiations" sounds more than a wee bit hollow, doncha think?

JTT

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 04:53 pm
@JTT,
Osama bin Laden, on trial in a neutral third country; the thought of that must scare the livin' **** out of a whole bunch of government types in the USA, maybe even England and a few other countries too.

It could well be that Bush was too afraid to have him stand trial even in the USA.

Oh what tangled webs you weave when it's in your nature to deceive.

The secrets that man must know. Wouldn't you love to find a tell-all book from Osama in your Xmas stocking?

One does have to admit that the US propaganda mill is no slouch. Goebbels would surely have signed with the USA when he became a free agent.
hamburgboy

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 06:52 pm
@JTT,
the british are getting tired of wasting their young in afghanistan .
the government will find it increasingly difficult to convince the british of
" winning in afghanistan " .

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/Afghanistan/article6903754.ece

from the report in the times of london :

Quote:
Lord Ashdown writes in The Times: “There is now a real chance that we will lose this struggle in the bars and front-rooms of Britain, before we lose it in the deserts and mountains of Afghanistan.” Lord Powell said that the public wouldn’t accept a strategy that did not include a cut-off point within three years.

The soul-searching was reflected by the Right Rev Stephen Venner, the Bishop to the Armed Forces. He said: “I would hope that all politicians and church leaders would be asking questions. We are asking our people . . . to be in positions of huge danger. We must always ask the question about whether it is right we should be there.”

war-weariness is getting more pronounced in britain .
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 5 Nov, 2009 10:21 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Really? Tell me a specific example of the US targetting civilians for intentional extermination.

Napalming Vietnamese villages. Carpet bombing North Vietnam.
Nicaragua, The Philippines.

Then there was the Tiger Force, but great researcher that you are, you must already know about this one.

Quote:
By the time Tiger Force soldiers stopped firing their weapons, six people were dead, including two children.

They weren't carrying weapons, or dressed in enemy uniforms, but it didn't matter: They were living in a free-fire zone.

For Vietnamese civilians, it was a dangerous decision.

It meant they were in an area where the U.S. military could strike without warning.

No approval was necessary for soldiers to open fire or order air strikes on a specific region - or village - as long as two conditions were met: Troops had to be attacked, and their targets had to be military.

But Tiger Force didn't always follow the rules.

The slaughter of six people in the village near Chu Lai in 1967 was another reminder of the platoon's abuse of the new military policy.

Time and again, Tiger Force members turned free-fire zones into crime zones, killing unarmed men, women, and children .

Of the 30 war-crime cases investigated by the Army, 19 were reported in such zones, according to a Blade review of thousands of military records.

At least 12 times, its members entered villages and openly fired on civilians.

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SRTIGERFORCE/110210076

And another,

Quote:
Before he died at age 59, Mr. Bruner recorded a tape about his tours in Vietnam for a Pearl Harbor commemoration in 1988, recalling the shooting of the farmer.

In the tape, he condemned the killing.

"To me, this is what you call murder - they flat out murdered the guy."

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SRTIGERFORCE/110200130

Here's a really good one, Brandon. This will make you so proud!

Quote:

U.S. Military Wanted to Provoke War With Cuba
Book: U.S. Military Drafted Plans to Terrorize U.S. Cities to Provoke War With Cuba

In the early 1960s, America's top military leaders reportedly drafted plans to kill innocent people and commit acts of terrorism in U.S. cities to create public support for a war against Cuba.

Code named Operation Northwoods, the plans reportedly included the possible assassination of Cuban émigrés, sinking boats of Cuban refugees on the high seas, hijacking planes, blowing up a U.S. ship, and even orchestrating violent terrorism in U.S. cities.

The plans were developed as ways to trick the American public and the international community into supporting a war to oust Cuba's then new leader, communist Fidel Castro.

America's top military brass even contemplated causing U.S. military casualties, writing: "We could blow up a U.S. ship in Guantanamo Bay and blame Cuba," and, "casualty lists in U.S. newspapers would cause a helpful wave of national indignation."

Details of the plans are described in Body of Secrets (Doubleday), a new book by investigative reporter James Bamford about the history of America's largest spy agency, the National Security Agency. However, the plans were not connected to the agency, he notes.

The plans had the written approval of all of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and were presented to President Kennedy's defense secretary, Robert McNamara, in March 1962. But they apparently were rejected by the civilian leadership and have gone undisclosed for nearly 40 years.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=92662&page=1

Who knows, your parents might have been some of the good little citizens targeted by their own military and poof, no Brandon, no 9000 brain cells.
candidone1

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:15 am
@JTT,
In the spectrum of that which is sound as per Americas reaction to 9/11, Afghanistan is the only one that meets the criteria.
The ad hoc creation of the axis of evil triad was not a sound thing to do.
Invading Iraq was not the sound thing to do.
Demanding that Afghanistan hand over "the terrorists" or face hells fury was not a sound thing to do.

However, strategic involvement in Afghanistan, with the assistance of the Afghani government, local tribespeople and the support of the international community (which would have been so easy post 9/11, pre-sabre rattling), to try to locate those responsible for 9/11 was sound.

0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:38 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:
The secrets that man must know. Wouldn't you love to find a tell-all book from Osama in your Xmas stocking?.

What more evidence needed to show you are one sick individual, JTT.
JTT

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:11 am
@okie,
Telling of you, Okie that you have no interest in finding out the truth. You maintain this delusional idea that you get the truth from your government when the historical record is clear, they lie to you with alarming regularity.

And it doesn't even twig in that head of yours in what passes for a brain that Bush had a number of excellent chances to get Osama but he never really wanted him. Strange days indeed.

It ironic that a guy like you who supports, even delights in the rape, murder, torture of innocents should be casting aspersions on others.
okie

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:14 am
@JTT,
Bush would have taken Bin Laden if he could have. Your statement is nonsense. It is in fact true however that Clinton did pass on the clear opportunity to take Bin Laden into custody before 9/11.
JTT

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 11:33 am
@okie,
Provide sources for both assertions, Okie.

[little hint: a mere four or five postings back]
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 12:51 pm
@JTT,
We killed over three million in Nam. I saw a tape of Marines shelling a civilian "enemy" village, with our soldiers laughing it up. There was no return fire from the village. This was repeated thousands of times. McNamara is a war criminal and should go to trial.
High Seas

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 02:43 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:
.... McNamara is a war criminal and should go to trial.

You missed sending him to trial, Advocate: he died some time ago. Besides, technology has improved since Vietnam:
http://www.newyorker.com/images/2009/10/26/p465/091026_r18962_p465.jpg
http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2009/10/26/091026fa_fact_mayer
okie

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 03:33 pm
@Advocate,
Advocate wrote:

We killed over three million in Nam. I saw a tape of Marines shelling a civilian "enemy" village, with our soldiers laughing it up. There was no return fire from the village. This was repeated thousands of times. McNamara is a war criminal and should go to trial.

Okay, if you can provide a source of the tape you saw, and verify it, I would be interested. The first questions I would ask is if the "enemy village" you describe was actually a village or if it was a base camp for Vietcong or NVA? The reason I would ask that is for the obvious reason that there is a vast vast difference. The second question I would ask is if the village had been ordered to be vacated and so forth, what was going on with that particular so-called village, if it was a village? Now with that said, Advocate, I can say to you the same thing I have said about John Kerry and his lies and concocted stuff about Vietnam, I cannot say what you claim could be possible or not, without any evidence but your wild accusation, but I can tell you that as a member of the infantry in Vietnam for a year, I never witnessed any shelling of a village inhabited by civilians, and I can tell you that no such thing was sanctioned or carried out ever in the areas that I know about, so therefore I am skeptical of your allegations. I cannot say it did not happen or could not happen, but this I know, it certainly is not consistent with anything I ever witnessed or knew about. I won't call you a liar, but if I were you I would begin to question the tape and find out if it has any validity.

And then for you to claim the scene was repeated thousands of times, that is nonsensical on its face, and lacking any evidence, you should apologize for an uninformed and basically just dumb post.
High Seas

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:47 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

And then for you to claim the scene was repeated thousands of times, that is nonsensical on its face, and lacking any evidence, you should apologize for an uninformed and basically just dumb post.

Okie - anybody can see these statements are "nonsensical". Anyway they're irrelevant, things have changed:
http://web.mit.edu/bookstore/www/events/images/singer_wired.jpg
Get this book and read it - and see also if you can see a (televised or in person) interview with the author; fascinating views.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 04:52 pm
@High Seas,
Ho hum, another day, more war crimes from the good ole US of A.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 05:02 pm
@okie,
Quote:
Witness to Vietnam atrocities never knew about investigation
By MICHAEL D. SALLAH and MITCH WEISS
BLADE STAFF WRITERS

The goal of the military was to stop the 5,000 inhabitants from growing rice - food that could feed the enemy. But with deep ties to the land, many villagers refused to leave. That’s when Tiger Force members joined other battalion soldiers in what became a grisly routine: Shooting villagers who stayed in their hamlets.

Mr. Stout said commanders were counting the executed civilians as enemy soldiers to help boost "body count."

In Vietnam, the measure of success was the number of enemy soldiers killed - not the taking of land, say military historians.

Mr. Stout said in July he spotted a sign posted in a command center in the valley with a tally of the dead enemy soldiers: 600. But the numbers of weapons seized totaled only 11. "Most of the dead people were civilians."

http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/99999999/SRTIGERFORCE/111300139
hamburgboy

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 09:40 pm
@JTT,
canadian military preparing for 2011 pullout .
the canadian government seems to be firm on the 2011 pullout date .
canadians were looking less and less favourably on canada's involvement in afgh.
i wonder if any other nations will start talking about a pullout .
imo canada's involvement had to end . very little has really been achieved .
despite the large amounts of money pumped into afgh , little improvement has been seen at the local level .
imo afgh has to have creditable leadership before there can be any hope of further canadian involvement .

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/11/05/afghanistan-withdraw.html

the report by CBC reveived over 200 reader responses .

Quote:
Defence chief plans for 2011 Afghan pullout

Last Updated: Thursday, November 5, 2009 | 11:26 PM ET Comments203Recommend85By James Cudmore, CBC News

The head of the Canadian Armed Forces has issued orders to prepare to withdraw from Afghanistan in 2011 in the absence of a clear direction from government on the mission's future shape.

CBC News has learned that Chief of the Defence Staff Gen. Walt Natynczyk has ordered his commanders to start preparing military plans to pull out of Afghanistan and return thousands of soldiers and billions of dollars' worth of equipment to Canada.

Maj. Cindy Tessier, a spokeswoman for Natynczyk, suggested the plans were a measure of prudence.

"The parliamentary motion was clear, and prudent military planning has begun," she told CBC News. "That commences with orders."

In March 2008, Parliament voted to extend the mission until July 2011. The parliamentary motion said all troops must be out of Afghanistan by the end of that year.

There are 2,800 Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan, based primarily in Kandahar province.

Natynczyk's orders are designed to implement Parliament's decision, pending an announcement of any new plans for the military. They follow months of intense speculation about the government's plans for the mission in Afghanistan.

The government has insisted Canada's military mission will end in 2011. But its ministers and staff " including Defence Minister Peter MacKay " have suggested Canadian soldiers could remain in Afghanistan beyond that deadline, though perhaps not in combat.

That speculation prompted a flurry of criticism from military experts and former commanders.

Retired general Rick Hillier, who preceded Natynczyk as chief of the defence staff, said it was folly to think Canadian soldiers could remain in Afghanistan and not be involved in combat.

On Friday, MacKay, told reporters the government has been consistent on the pullout of troops.

"We have been crystal-clear at a military level and a political level " the prime minister, myself, the minister of foreign affairs, Gen. Walter Natynczyk " [the] combat mission will end in 2011.

"Certainly one of the best things that our military do is planning and contingency planning so they're making the necessary arrangements to prepare for that inevitability in 2011."

As recently as this week, MacKay said the government had not yet made up its mind about troops after 2011. The defence minister said the government was waiting to hear if U.S. President Barack Obama would commit more troops to the fight in southern Afghanistan before deciding what Canada's own mission would look like.
msolga

Reply Fri 6 Nov, 2009 10:42 pm
@hamburgboy,
Quote:
....On Friday, MacKay, told reporters the government has been consistent on the pullout of troops.

"We have been crystal-clear at a military level and a political level " the prime minister, myself, the minister of foreign affairs, Gen. Walter Natynczyk " [the] combat mission will end in 2011.

"Certainly one of the best things that our military do is planning and contingency planning so they're making the necessary arrangements to prepare for that inevitability in 2011."

As recently as this week, MacKay said the government had not yet made up its mind about troops after 2011. The defence minister said the government was waiting to hear if U.S. President Barack Obama would commit more troops to the fight in southern Afghanistan before deciding what Canada's own mission would look like.

Interesting, hamburger.

In today's Guardian (UK), the British prime minister was quoted as saying that unless Kazai made a serious effort to clean up government corruption in Afghanistan, he (Brown) would have a very difficult time justifying British troop involvement in Afghanistan to the British people.
0 Replies