What's up with people? Don't they listen anymore?

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 07:33 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Sure glad I didn't ask him for a prick punch.

I will NOT make a penis joke

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:28 pm
@Butrflynet,
Hmm, I think not so much in my local area, as we've had many incarnations of different dollar stores, as well as other locations in British Columbia.

What's happening now in Canada though, is that Dollar Giant (whom I work for) is spread across 4 provinces, with about 50 stores. The industry is consolidating much more than ever before, with them at, or near the top.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:29 pm
@Reyn,
excuse me sir, where is the motor oil...
Reyn

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 09:37 pm
@Rockhead,
You'll find in conveniently located in the "Up your butt" aisle. Wink

You're welcome. Anything else I can help you find? Milk and bread, maybe?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 10:04 pm
@Mame,
This one looks more like what you are describing... The belt is in the back rather than circling the hips.

http://cdn.overstock.com/images/products/MS11267434.jpg

http://www.overstock.com/Clothing-Shoes/Miss-Sixty-Womens-Sculpted-Peacoat/3142714/product.html

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 10:08 pm
One of these days I hope to grow out of this immaturity..

Peacoat?
Made me giggle.

But, that is a really cute coat!
chai2

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 10:11 pm
@shewolfnm,
peacoats are cool.

you can get virgins now at the dollar store?
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:42 am
@Butrflynet,
YES!!!!! You're a doll, Butrflynet! Thank you.
Mame

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:44 am
@Butrflynet,
You're right, B, that is more like it. None to be found in Calgary or Vancouver, though Sad
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:46 am
Yesterday I got sent to three different aisles in Safeway by three different clerks for cranberry sauce. You'd think at this time of year they'd know where it was.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 06:53 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

I've been on a search for one of those pea coats with a hip belt in the back and every time I've gone into a store and told them specifically what I want, I've been shown coats with waist tie belts.

Me: Does that look like a hip belt to you?
Her: No, it doesn't, it's a waist tie belt.
Me: I see that, but is that what I asked for?
Her: Well, no, but we don't carry those.

Me thinking... Great, why didn't you just say that instead of wasting my time??

Doesn't matter what you ask for, if they don't have it, they'll show you something else. Weird.

I'm just frustrated.

Maybe she was afraid that if u bought
the coat, then u woud not be naked any more.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:17 am
I have written and deleted more posts to this thread than I can count. Most people who complain about retail have never done the job. We are badly paid and virtually untrained, handed a scanner (no manual or instructions) pointed toward a computer (no manual or instructions) and given a phone. We learn by doing -- our colleagues are too busy to spoon feed us information. I have met some lovely people working in retail but the xmas season has been hell. I'm sure some customers think I'm a smart ass when after asking for CLR for example I say "Aisle 66, right hand side, half way down, bottom shelf". It's simply easier than leading them back there when they can't find it if I only say "aisle 66". People have barked at me, snapped their fingers at me and condescended to me. Most days I am doing the work of three people. If you walk in to a store and you are the only customer and the clerk is on the phone to a friend and ignores you, you have every right to complain. If you walk in to a store that is a zoo, with 2 clerks in a department and a line up of 6 people ahead of you just to ask a question don't bloody interrupt, you're not more important than the other guy. If you think the store is understaffed go to customer service and ask to speak to a manager. Complain on behalf of the employee not about the employee.

Oh, and Merry Christmas. (I'm working Christmas Eve 'til 5pm)
mismi

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:48 am
@Tai Chi,
Retail is horrible. And from the employee's viewpoint Tai Chi you are right - it is a large pool your thrown into without being taught to swim. This time of year they hire temporary employees as well. So they are actually trying to make money (usually on commission) against those people that have been working there for forty forevers - so it is very competitive. So they learn to take every opportunity. It is a very stressful and unfriendly environment. Both the people you work with and the people you try to help seem to be just mean on some days. I managed to last three months before the insurance company I worked for before college re-hired me. Worst job of my life. Never happier to leave that and go on to a job as a Customer Service rep for an insurance company - got to listen to a lot of bitching and moaning there as well! I hate the telephone to this day.

And shopping this time of year is just hard. I like getting out in it only if I don't have to accomplish something.

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:21 am
@chai2,
chai2 wrote:
you can get virgins now at the dollar store?

Reyn wrote:

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:24 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

Yesterday I got sent to three different aisles in Safeway by three different clerks for cranberry sauce. You'd think at this time of year they'd know where it was.

Laughing Sorry, but I can tell you where the motor oil is.

Reyn wrote:

0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 10:27 am
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:

Oh sure, bloody favouritism (a la Monty Python sarcasm)!

I'm working to 6pm.

I sympathize and agree with your post. I've been looking for another job for a while. Dishwashing is looking good.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 12:58 pm
You don't want to wash dishes, Reyn... it's filthy job and you want to talk about unappreciated?? It's called the "dish pit" for a reason. Unless, of course, you're in a nursing home or somewhere like that where they don't get slammed.

I don't have the personality for retail; I'm way too impatient and sarcastic. I'd last about an hour. And I certainly do appreciate good clerks or those who are willing to help.

There are never any floor clerks at the department stores here which is really annoying. The boutiques have plenty of people leaping out at you the minute you walk into the store but for some reason the dept stores feel they can do without them.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:35 pm
@Tai Chi,
Tai Chi wrote:

I have written and deleted more posts to this thread than I can count. Most people who complain about retail have never done the job. We are badly paid and virtually untrained, handed a scanner (no manual or instructions) pointed toward a computer (no manual or instructions) and given a phone. We learn by doing -- our colleagues are too busy to spoon feed us information. I have met some lovely people working in retail but the xmas season has been hell. I'm sure some customers think I'm a smart ass when after asking for CLR for example I say "Aisle 66, right hand side, half way down, bottom shelf". It's simply easier than leading them back there when they can't find it if I only say "aisle 66". People have barked at me, snapped their fingers at me and condescended to me. Most days I am doing the work of three people. If you walk in to a store and you are the only customer and the clerk is on the phone to a friend and ignores you, you have every right to complain. If you walk in to a store that is a zoo, with 2 clerks in a department and a line up of 6 people ahead of you just to ask a question don't bloody interrupt, you're not more important than the other guy. If you think the store is understaffed go to customer service and ask to speak to a manager. Complain on behalf of the employee not about the employee.

Presumably, u r a customer in more stores
than u r a cashier. I respectfully suggest that when u have a question, in those stores,
and no one to answer u except a cashier with 20 customers standing in line,
that u yell out the question, directionally toward the cashier, like:
" Quick question: where r the gizmos ? "
because experience has proven that IT IS THE SQUEEKY WHEEL THAT GETS THE OIL
and nice guys finish last, with their wheels squeeking and exasperated.

If u DO SO, what is the worst that can happen ?
In my experience, I almost always get the information that I want.
If not, I do it AGAIN. Be PERSISTENT. I 've never known it to fail.

I recommend it. There 's a time to be polite, silent n patient
and there 's a time to be loud n intrusive.

(Note also, that I carry the Flag for SELFISHNESS)

MERRY CHRISTMAS !

David
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 01:50 pm
@Mame,
Quote:
I don't have the personality for retail; I'm way too impatient and sarcastic. I'd last about an hour.

What you should do Mame is learn to see the funny side of it and take the piss out of them. Send them out looking even more ridiculous than when they came in. That's the principle on which high fashion, or I ought to say haute coutoureehh, is posited upon. It is bad news for men. They daren't even say the get-up is ridiculous.

If you came into a shop I owned I feel sure, assuming the staff had alerted me, that you would have left quite satisfied.

You could bitch about soft-furnishings.

I've known a few ladies who have worked in shops, not fish shops or pet shops or anything like that. After hours. You should hear what they say about customers.

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 02:19 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Quote:
I don't have the personality for retail; I'm way too impatient and sarcastic. I'd last about an hour.

What you should do Mame is learn to see the funny side of it and take the piss out of them.

Cause them to urinate ?
0 Replies