How will you be spending Christmas day?

Joeblow

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:31 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I know, Endy. I'm really enjoying reading about everyone's plans, too! I feel like a fly on the wall in all your homes. And I'm learning so much about the way you live & what's important in your lives. As I'm a bit of a sticky nose, I find this stuff utterly fascinating! Laughing Wink

More, more! Very Happy

Me too!
More, more, more!
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:32 am
@Endymion,
Thanks Endy, boogie-woogie , baby!
mismi

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:38 am
@Joeblow,
I just invited the entire family to come to my house to have Christmas Dinner. There will be tons of kids. And they are bringing their little doggy. I am afraid my two big doggies will eat it for their Christmas dinner. It will be a noisy party - especially when my brother in law the policeman gets a few drinks in him...but that's what makes it all so much fun! I love the holidays!
Joeblow

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:48 am
@mismi,
Kids, dogs, and tipsy policeman. Laughing

Have a riot!
ehBeth

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:49 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
we'll be staying home for christmas .
hoping there won't be a snowstorm so that bailey , cleo , ehbeth and set can join us .

I hope it's possible too, hamburger.

and did you notice the order of that list?

I'm pretty much a dog-delivery person now. The hamburgers just wanna see the grand-dogs. <sigh>

~~~

I just got the call from Canajun Tire. The snow tires have been installed.

I go to the groomer in an hour. The dogs go to the groomer on Monday. Set goes to the groomer on Tuesday. We'll all be gorgeous if the weather co-operates.
mismi

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 10:55 am
@Joeblow,
Quote:
Kids, dogs, and tipsy policeman.

Have a riot!

I'm sure it will be Joeblow - good thing we have a policeman here - may keep us out of trouble with the neighbors! Or at the very least the local law Shocked
Joeblow

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 11:22 am
@ehBeth,
I noticed!

(Laughing @ "The groomers")

I'm glad you've got your winter tires on. What a difference they make! I will never white knuckle like back in the old days ever again. They're essential.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 11:27 am
@mismi,
I've a fair exposure to our local coppers myself, Mismi. NObody likes a good more than them

Razz
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 11:48 am
@urs53,
urs wrote :

Quote:
In Germany, this is the evening where we celebrate Christmas, open presents, sing Christmas songs and the like.

that's still our custom too - dinner around 3 or 4 pm - about 6 pm there'll be a few prezzies - perhaps watch a movie - set may want to sing a tune or two , one never knows <GRIN>
hbg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 11:58 am
Christmas Eve we're with Grandma and spend the day at her house, and on
the 25th we celebrate Christmas with jewish friends at our house (as we
do on jewish holidays with them). It's been done this way for many years now
and we hope to continue this way. Christmas is all about tradition, family and friends, isn't it?
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 12:15 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:
I'm going to Rockheads Grams.

...are you, by any chance, related to Rocky?

With all my Gram's and Great Gram's now past, it just sounded exactly like where I would most like to be for Christmas Day. I had all my Gram's and Great Gram's well into my college years, with holidays being a huge family gathering that was much anticipated and enjoyed by all.

This year I request that Rock give his Gram an extra hug.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 05:11 pm
@Setanta,
I take it you are not really "into" the festive season, Set? Wink

I'm with you!

Baaaaa Humbug! Laughing
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 05:15 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
and did you notice the order of that list?

No, I missed that, ehBeth.

Very funny!

Yep, you're just the doggy deliverer! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 07:55 pm
We (my sibs and I) still go to my parents' for xmas. I think this still works because there are so few grandchildren (3 and counting). Given that last Thanksgiving was a little hairy, I am hoping that xmas will go smoother. I will go down to the Cape on the 23rd, likely, as that is the last day of school. I think I will be bringing my lil sis and her son with me. I may also be bringing my brother this year.

My older sis and her family will arrive sometime on xmas day after having their own celebration. My lil sis' husband will also arrive xmas day sometime. We'll have a nice breakfast, perhaps with mamosas (chapagne and oj - or other juice). We have to wait until everyone gets there and unwinds before we can open presents. After that we'll have dinner. We haven't talked about meals yet, so I don't know what we'll eat and the dishes vary widely from year to year (including home made pizzas one year).

Hopefully there will be time enough, weather permiting, for a walk on the beach with the dogs.
Thomas

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 11:01 pm
I'll be spending Christmas with my parents and my sisters. Although everyone but my mother has quit believing in god, we continue to honor our ancient family Christmas tradition. By that tradition, we an opulent dinner on Christmas eve at 6pm, after which we spend about an hour singing Christmas songs before we hit the presents. Christmas day is for taking long walks together, and so is the second Christmas day. (Both the 25th and the 26th are national holidays in Germany.) The rest of the week between Christmas and New Year is for visiting friends and more remote family, and for being visited by them.

Apart from the afternoon of Christmas eve, when my mother stresses out about the dinner being anything less than perfect, Christmas with my family is relaxed and peaceful. A true a delight. I'm very much looking forward to it.
aidan

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 08:16 am
@Thomas,
I'll be going to a midnight candle lighting and carol singing service on Christmas eve - it starts at ll:30 and ends early Christmas morning.

Then we go home and open one present - each person picks one present they most want the other to open.

Then I'll get up early and go for a walk with my dog and take some pictures - unless it's pouring with rain- if it is - I'll stay home.

Then I'll come home and make cinnamon rolls and hot chocolate.

Then I'll wake the kids up.

Then we'll open presents while eating our cinnamon rolls and drinking hot chocolate - oh yeah- and bacon, I forgot the bacon (we only have bacon in the house at Christmas and Easter).

Then I'll take a nap while the kids watch tv or something.

Then we'll eat lunch - not turkey or anything - last year we had sea bass - I might make jambalaya this year.

Then my daughter, my dog and I will start driving toward Scotland. We'll start about 3:00 so I can be past Bristol and into more scenic areas by about dusk when it's my favorite time of day to take pictures (I like the light).

We'll drive along the deserted highway (I always fly and/or drive on part of the actual holiday - no traffic) listening to music until we get tired - and then we'll stop and go to sleep.

I'll be in Scotland until about the 30th - back in time to celebrate New Years with friends and wish them and my son a happy, healthy new year- and eat black-eyed peas on New Year's Day.. so we'll all have good luck in 2009.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Sun 14 Dec, 2008 02:18 pm
Anticipating an unusual Christmas. I am working 'til 5 p.m. Christmas Eve (gotta love retail) and will probably be a basket case when I get home. Christmas Day is just the two of us and Mr. Fix-it has seriously suggested that we buy a couple of turkey pot pies and just kick back for the day. We will phone or receive calls from his sisters, my step-mom, my mom and dj, and our youngest who is living out east and spending the day with his girlfriend and her family. My oldest son arrives on Boxing Day and we have just learned that he and his girlfriend of 4+ years have ended their relationship. Not seeing her will be strange and I expect his mood will be somewhat depressed. The good news is that I have Boxing Day off AND the weekend so I can have a good visit with him. (Anybody know of a good commercially made turkey pot pie Razz ?)
Wy

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:44 pm
@Tai Chi,
I like Marie Callendar's... Bigger and better than the ones from Swanson, etc. Stouffer's also makes one about the same size , but I like the MC better.

Happy Holidays!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 05:53 pm
<puff pant puff>

Taking a quick peek at the latest "revelations". with much interest. I'll be back later to read in more depth. (Extremely busy today, preparing to have 2 years of tax return done tomorrow. (!) Up to my ankles in forms & papers here. Wish me luck! What fun! Mad ) I'm hoping lots more of you will post as Christmas day draws closer.

I'm wondering: Is any one planning anything really, really strange (apart from the family get together .. Wink )or unusual for the big day? Gonna tell us?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Dec, 2008 06:27 pm
Taxes, eek.

Minor note -- we just finished decorating the tree and I realized that another of our rules/ customs is that "flying" ornaments need to be near the top. All birds plus varied insects (ladybugs, dragonflies), plus the occasional fairy and Pegasus.

(The tree is so pretty! It poked the heck out of my hands though. Ouch.)
0 Replies