How will you be spending Christmas day?

margo

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 04:16 pm
My aunt will be staying with me again! She lives in the country, and will come to Sydney a couple of days before Christmas. At 84, she's my closest relative, so we usually do what she wants. Last year, we had Christmas lunch at home - but she prefers to go out.

So: Up early - open presents and torment Possum-cat with ties, wrapping and stuff.

Breakfast, then church (her) and nap - if possible (me).

Morning tea and cake with neighbours.

Lunch this year at a big fancy hotel, costing a bomb - her shout. Go and look at David Jones Christmas windows - she's seen them, but I guess we'll go again, as we'll be near there anyway!

Home and flop around, maybe see some of my friends.

Then pack gear for early Boxing Day morning trip down to Kiama, a seaside town 2 hours south of Sydney. I'll stay down there for New Year, and my aunt will come back to Sydney by train - someone has to look after Possum-cat!

I'll see most of my friends the Sunday before, but may do a quick run around on the day.

Let's hope it gets a bit warmer than now - but not too warm!
ossobuco

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 04:28 pm
@margo,
I don't know about particulars just now. I've been known to read a book on christmas day, happily, thank you ... and known to give elaborate dinners or be involved in producing them. One thing is constant, a bunch of phone calls to pals and family.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 04:41 pm
Christmas Eve is with my side of the family. Cousin Reggie & Appollonia are
hosting in the club room at their condo. Everyone gives presents to the kids.
Among the adults, we draw names for a person or couple to give to. This was
getting to be a logistical pain in the keister so I wrote a program to do it. ( Yes, I
am a geek.) After that, the kids and I will do Midnight Mass at St. Pat's.

Christmas Day is with the Lovely Bride's side of the family. Hermione and Fred
will be by earlier in the day and we'll do presents among ourselves and play
marathon Mah-Jhong. Then off to my sister-in-law's (fortunately only one town
away) for dinner, and a Yankee Swap.

I'm looking forward to it. There's just not that many times when we have the
kids all together again.
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:08 pm
It’s just Mr. Joe and I on Christmas morning this year.

We’ll sleep in a bit I hope, 6:30, 7:00 maybe, that’d be nice. Coffee will have been measured the night before so we’ll light the fire as it brews. Some years I crack a small bottle of champagne, but we’re out for dinner this year and I won’t be able to have a luxurious afternoon nap, so I might just save it. We’ll exchange gifts, talk to the boy in Calgary… loaf about. The neighbours will drop by. The phone will ring. We'll nibble on something easy, possibly pastries, though if we have the gumption it might be more substantial.

Later we’ll head out to my mom and (step) dad's for dinner. I hate writing step-dad for some reason. Ross. Rosso. Joey. I love him. He loves me. Mom’s an excellent cook and baker and she’ll outdo herself. All the men will get their favourite pie. She’d do that for us girls too if we’d pick a favourite… but I can’t…they’re all wonderful and who has room for pie anyway? Pie is for breakfast!

My sister and her youngest grown son (and new bride) will make it for dinner, and Joey's oldest son and his wife are coming, so we’ll be nine. Everyone will behave for the most part, and we’ll talk to the far away brothers and uncles. Or some of us will, while the rest will shout instructions and greetings till we have to tell them to hush up! And do they want a turn. I may be asked to convey football questions or commentary. I need to brush up. What down? Field goal. Wha-a-a-t? Hut! (eyes glaze over. where's the wine? who's driving?)

My nephew will say grace. Mr. Joe will look down and around discretely (though some might say furtively). There’ll be several “amen’s and at least one thank-you.

There will be talk of the weather.

Dishes.

If mum indulges in glasses of wine, I might be able to entice her to the piano where I’ll beg her to play the boogie-woogie for me. She doesn’t play much anymore, but I love to watch her hands…

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:53 pm
@Endymion,
Quote:
Every time i see another name go up i come over and read--- it's a seasonal relay of excitement and not having tv - the most festive run up to the big day!
I love hearing everyone's plans -even if i don't partake myself - wishing everyone a happy time

I know, Endy. I'm really enjoying reading about everyone's plans, too! I feel like a fly on the wall in all your homes. And I'm learning so much about the way you live & what's important in your lives. As I'm a bit of a sticky nose, I find this stuff utterly fascinating! Laughing Wink

More, more! Very Happy
msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:56 pm
@squinney,
Quote:
I'm going to Rockheads Grams.

Ms Sticky Nose here, squinney. Wink

But I've gotta ask. I can't help myself! But are you, by any chance, related to Rocky?

(um ... you don't have to answer if you don't want to, OK?)
Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:18 pm
squinney informs me we're going to be serving breakfast to the homeless at Raleigh Rescue Mission Christmas morning. I'm good with that.
George

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:24 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
You guys are all right, Bear.
Blessings.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:29 pm
@Bi-Polar Bear,
Very Happy Good for squinney! Good on both of you, Bear!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:46 pm
I was just wondering: do any of you have no definite plans as yet for Christmas day? You might just wake up on the day & decide what you actually feel like doing? I would love to be so spontaneous, care-free even, about the whole Christmas thing, but I feel the need to plan ahead against the possibility of miserableness ... if you know what I mean. Wink
Mame

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:52 pm
@msolga,
I spent last Christmas alone and loved it. I got to do what I wanted the whole day long and it didn't involve eating very much. I read, watched tv, painted a bit...answered the phone, and was on here. It was a perfectly lovely day.
Endymion

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:57 pm
@Joeblow,
hey Joe - that was great to read
pie and boogie-woogie, eh?
Not bad! Wink
Rockhead

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 06:58 pm
@msolga,
Squinney and the Bear have an open invitation to Gram's, but no.

The Bear family and I have some common interests, and maybe friends as well, but no shared blood to my knowledge...

(thanks Squinney, you guys rock)
msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:00 pm
@Mame,
Very Happy

Yeah, I spent one on my own, too, Mame. (Talked about it some posts back on this thread.) It wasn't nearly as miserable as I'd thought it could have been. In fact, I had quite a nice time. I guess there's a helluva a lot of conditioning that One Must Not Be Alone on Christmas day. Because of that sort of conditioning I've spent time at some pretty ghastly gatherings ... which didn't make me feel remotely festive! Laughing
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:00 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

I find this stuff utterly fascinating! Laughing Wink

More, more! Very Happy

me too.... although i'd like to hear more about the food!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:02 pm
@Rockhead,
Ah. Thanks, Rocky. Thought I was onto something there! Laughing
hamburger

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:10 pm
@msolga,
as we've done for the last several years , we'll be staying home for christmas .
hoping there won't be a snowstorm so that bailey , cleo , ehbeth and set can join us .
ebeth had the snowtires installed on the car - there'd have to be pretty heavy snow to deter ehbeth - she spent several winters driving in northern ontario and knows the routine .
hbg
Setanta

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:13 pm
'Are there no prisons?"

'Plenty of prisons,' said the gentleman, laying down the pen again.

'And the Union workhouses.' demanded Scrooge. 'Are they still in operation?'

'Both very busy, sir.'

'Oh. I was afraid, from what you said at first, that something had occurred to stop them in their useful course,' said Scrooge. 'I'm very glad to hear it.'

I will be spending my Christmas making sure that the shabby poor get just what they deserve . . .
msolga

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:19 pm
@hamburger,
Quote:
we'll be staying home for christmas .
hoping there won't be a snowstorm so that bailey , cleo , ehbeth and set can join us .

I hope it's possible too, hamburger.
urs53

Reply Sat 13 Dec, 2008 03:39 am
For the first time in years, BigDice will not be working on Dec 24. In Germany, this is the evening where we celebrate Christmas, open presents, sing Christmas songs and the like. We will go to my sister's house as always for the evening and be together with her family. I really like that. We have a nice, relaxed, fun evening. No plans for Dec 25 and 26 which are public holidays in Germany.