Does it feel like Christmas to you?

Mame

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 06:50 am
We have snow, it's cold, and our lights are up. We've got the tree decorated and I've finished my shopping. Everything's wrapped, my cards are sent, and parties are scheduled in. But... it just doesn't feel like Christmas yet. Feels like usual.

What about you? Do you feel like it's Christmas?

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:12 am
@Mame,
Christmas to me signifies extra hardship for families who are already struggling.
I do volunteer work for St Vincent De Paul and every Christmas it breaks my heart to see parents who are already struggling to make ends meet suffer even more in their attempts to give their kids what they want of Santa.
We try to help them with the basics, food and heat, but even as I'm handing over some money for heating I know it'll probably go towards getting little Johnny his X-Box. That's the choice facing a lot of parents at this time of year heat or the kids presents and lets face it what parent doesn't want to please their child at Christmas. Not just doesn't want to but is in fact under pressure to because of the society we live in.
So to me in this ever increasing unequal world Christmas has completely lost it's meaning. Bah Humbug.
So in answer to your question, yes it does feel like Christmas and it's bloody awful.
rosborne979

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:01 am
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

What about you? Do you feel like it's Christmas?
No. Thank god. Wink
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:50 am
@eurocelticyankee,
eurocelticyankee wrote:
So to me in this ever increasing unequal world Christmas has completely lost it's meaning. Bah Humbug.

Very well put.

To me, not at the moment. Been looking after my mother, since last year, who has dementia. Nothing will get better for me until she goes to residential care (24 hour care).

The highlight for Christmas, for me, is my wife's dinner and we have our daughters over.
saab

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 10:28 am
We have the 13th and 4th of Advent has not been yet - a bit early for Christmas feelings I would say.
Pre Christmas - yes.
Most of the mail is out.
The gifts are wrapped.
The house is partly decorated - a little bit every day.
The tree never ever come up this early - ususally the 23rd otherwise I would get tired of it by the time it is Christmas. That is usually so in Scandinavia.
Today is Sankta Lucia and I have enjoyed that with having friends over for breakfast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2-Q_ObdE-4&feature=related
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 10:29 am
@Mame,
Yes at times and at other times no.

I noticed one person being a downer on this Christmas stuff - if you feel that way about others then continue helping out like you are - that brings me the Christmas spirit more than anything.

My kids sang at a fundraiser for Orphans in Haiti recently which we attended and support, for example. Even just giving as you walk by the Salvation Army ringers and even stop and talk with them a bit. These are the things that bring the spirit to me - and decorating the tree which we did last weekend.

Although here at work with the amount of work we have - it doesn't seem like that - but then again just the other day, I handed out the bonus letters to my reports - that makes me feel like Santa Claus - especially as they were better this year. I love making some one's day.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 02:42 pm
@Linkat,
I presume I'm the downer Embarrassed , sorry.
I enjoy Christmas too, in my home with family around me, love it. Cosy in our own little bubble.
Yes I agree you get a warm feeling from helping others. I volunteer the year round and it's just, well at a time when people should be feeling up and getting into the Christmas spirit, that's when I see the most stress and poverty. People paying well into next year for the loans they got to get over Christmas. Poor people whom banks wouldn't even look at, so it's the high interest money lenders who benefit. I'd say they love this time of year.

Anyhow I didn't mean to put a damper on things, life is life. I'll shut up now. Razz
Merry Christmas Everybody.
Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 02:45 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Don't worry - just say humbug to those meanies that get you down.

Keep up the good work helping others - one thing I found amazing was the stories I heard about these young girl orphans at the Christmas fund raiser I mentioned. I know some people who traveled to do work in Haiti at this orphange and how happy these girls seemed even with the minimum stuff they had. It is great to know even the little bit you can help - does make some one else a little bit happier.

So smile - your good work has made some one's life a little bit easier and a little bit happier.
0 Replies

eurocelticyankee

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 02:52 pm
@Reyn,
Sorry to hear about your Mam, must be hard. I don't know about the States but here in Ireland good care homes are hard to come by and expensive.
Enjoy your Christmas dinner, it's nice to have your family around you.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:10 pm
@Mame,
It feels like Christmas every time I walk in the door when I get home. Christmas decorations everywhere, hanging from the ceiling, bells on the door knobs, can’t even sneak out of the house without a damn bell going off!
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:18 pm
It hasn't felt like Christmas since I was 11 and my grandmother was still alive. She was the holiday ringmaster. Personally, I don't miss it.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 03:57 pm
@Mame,
Mame wrote:

...our lights are up. We've got the tree decorated and I've finished my shopping. Everything's wrapped, my cards are sent, and parties are scheduled in....

Oh, shut up.

This is the time of year I feel like shooting people like you. Go sit under your perfect tree and fa-la-la yourself.

Where did I put those damned pain pills anyway?
Linkat

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 04:35 pm
@Eva,
Eva - this sounds like you....

The first thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me
Is finding a Christmas tree

The second thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me:
Angry husband:
Rigging up the lights
And finding a Christmas tree

The third thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me
Man getting over being drunk:
Hangovers
Rigging up the lights

The fourth thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me
Exhausted man:
Sending Christmas cards
Hangovers
Rigging up the lights

The fifth thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me
Five months of bills!
Sending Christmas cards
Hangovers
Rigging up the lights

The sixth thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me:
Nervous wife:
Facing my in-laws
Five months of bills!
Oh, I hate those Christmas cards!
Hangovers
Rigging up these lights!

The seventh thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me:
Nervous wife's husband:
The Salvation Army
Facing my in-laws
Five months of bills!
Sending Christmas cards
Oh, geez!
I'm tryin' to rig up these lights!

The eighth thing at Christmas that such a pain to me:
Whining kid:
I WANNA TRANSFORMER FOR CHRISTMAS!!!!
Charities,
And whataya mean "YOUR in-laws"?!?
Five months of bills!
Oh, making out these cards
Honey, get me a beer, huh?
What, we have no extension cords?!?

The ninth thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me
A tired father:
Finding parking spaces
DADDY, I WANT SOME CANDY!!!!
Donations!
Facing my in-laws
Five months of bills!
Writing out those Christmas cards
Hangovers!
Now why the hell are they blinking?!?!?

The tenth thing at Christmas that's such a pain to me:
A mother:
"Batteries Not Included"
No parking spaces
BUY ME SOMETHIN'!!!
Get a job, ya bum!
Oh, facing my in-laws!
Five months of bills!
Yo-ho, sending Christmas cards
Oh, geez, look at this!
One light goes out, they ALL go out!!!

The eleventh thing of Christmas that's such a pain to me:
A male couch potato:
Stale TV specials
"Batteries Not Included"
No parking spaces
DAD, I GOTTA GO TA BATHROOM!!
Charities!
She's a witch...I hate her!
Five months of bills!
Oh, I don't even KNOW half these people!
Oh, who's got the toilet paper, huh?
Get a flashlight...I blew a fuse!!

The twelfth thing of Christmas that's such a pain to me:
Two men:
Singing Christmas carols
Stale TV specials
"Batteries Not Included"
No parking?!?
WAAAAAAAAAAH! WAAAAAAAAAAH!
Charities!
Gotta make 'em dinner!
Five months of bills!
I'm not sendin' them this year, that's it!
Shut up, you!
FINE! YOU'RE SO SMART, YOU RIG UP THE LIGHTS!!!
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:02 pm
@Mame,
It does to me. This is my first year celebrating Christmas and I’m looking forward to seeing Antonio on Christmas morning after Santa visits his house.
Irishk

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:04 pm
@jcboy,
Don't forget to put out milk and cookies for Santa!! (That was always a big deal when were were little lol)
jcboy

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:05 pm
@Irishk,
Oh we will, he's already reminded me of that, about 100 times now Smile
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:36 pm
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Mame wrote:

...our lights are up. We've got the tree decorated and I've finished my shopping. Everything's wrapped, my cards are sent, and parties are scheduled in....

Oh, shut up.

This is the time of year I feel like shooting people like you. Go sit under your perfect tree and fa-la-la yourself.

Where did I put those damned pain pills anyway?

You made me laugh, Eva Smile "Oh shut up."

You don't need a pain pill, you need a happy pill. And an assistant, obviously. I'll come down and take of things for you, babe. Just say the word.
Eva

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 07:46 pm
@Mame,
No, I need pain pills. I've had shingles for the past month. It's hard enough getting all the holiday stuff done when I'm well. But this is ridiculous.

Come to think of it, I need an assistant AND pain pills.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:11 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
Totally understand that post, euro.

Our St. Vincent's in my last home town has had huge roof/ceiling problems last time I read that paper, and that's the last thing they need. They were a half block away from our studio and did a lot of good in town - well, the whole area. I donated and shopped in my time there. Hope they pull out of the money morass.
And same with your place..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 Dec, 2011 08:17 pm
@Eva,
Oh boy. Next time, don't wait. It's treatable (sometimes successfully) if you catch it early enough.

Of course, I didn't know that when it mattered.