djjd62

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:06 pm
maybe i'll get the 2 disc collection of mother and son, i saw advertised

pay homage to australia and my xmas situation Very Happy
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:10 pm
@djjd62,
Oh, do, djjd!

It is a wonderful series, I promise you!

Two of my very favourite Oz actors & superb scripts. Sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry, but it really hits the spot.

I don't know how offbeat your sense of humour is, but have you heard of Summer Heights High? Fantastic!
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:11 pm
@djjd62,
We usually watch the Queen's Christmas Day message - one of our traditions is letting mrs hamburger know it's on, so she can rush in from the kitchen Very Happy

~~~

I'm not sure yet if we'll be able to go to the hamburgers' this year. I've just started a new job, so I can't take any vacation time yet. The office closes at noon on the 24th (Wednesday), and we get the 25th and 26th off, of course, and then it's the weekend. So, four and a half days. Not quite sure what to do with that if we're not visiting the hamburgers. hmmmmmmm

A lot is weather dependent. If the weather's decent, we'll likely drive down for a couple of days. If it promises to be snowy/blizzardy, we'll stay here and get some dvds. That reminds me, I need to stock up on ginger ale, clementines, white popping corn and tater chips.

djjd62

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:13 pm
@msolga,
love mother and son, we saw them over here about ten years ago or so

i've heard about SHH, it looks like something i'd like, will have to check it out
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:14 pm
@djjd62,
Mother and Son.

That's a wonderfully horrid program.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Another vote for the queen's message! Must be one of the highest rating programs of the year! Very Happy

Too bad, about your late work break-up, ehBeth. Sort of cuts down on unwinding & shopping (& all that other necessary stuff) time too, doesn't it? A girl could be feeling pretty tired come Christmas day....

Hope you manage to spend some time with the hamburgers though, if it's possible ...

Oh & don't, whatever you do, forget about the doggy Christmas treats! Very Happy
ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:24 pm
@msolga,
An office closing at noon on the 24th is considered to be wildly generous here, MisO. Most people in offices here will be pushing through til 5 or 6 p.m. on the 24th.

Dog treats are already in hand (hidden in a big plastic box in the basement), though I will need to get them some fresh carrots for their broth.
Endymion

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:25 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Someone in the UK, please enlighten me:

Do all of you really watch the queen's TV address after Christmas lunch? We here (in Oz) have been led to believe that this is so. Wink

NO!
Not any more. Once.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:25 pm
@Diest TKO,
Perfectly understandable, Diest. I remember waitressing at Christmas & New Years Eve a few times when I was a student. Necessity.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:33 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
An office closing at noon on the 24th is considered to be wildly generous here, MisO. Most people in offices here will be pushing through til 5 or 6 p.m. on the 24th.

Dog treats are already in hand (hidden in a big plastic box in the basement), though I will need to get them some fresh carrots for their broth.

I'm probably basing my understanding of finishing times on Oz schools, ehBeth. (The 19th in Victoria) It's quite possible that many other folk here finish at the same time as you do. (Though you wouldn't know it, judging by the usual last minute frenzied crowding in the shops! Shocked ) Sounds like you have a generous employer. Good!

I won't ask if you've catered for the Doggy Person! Of course you have! Very Happy

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:35 pm
@Endymion,
Quote:
NO!
Not any more. Once.

Laughing

Once was enough?
Endymion

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:41 pm
@msolga,
yes, ma'am
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:43 pm
@Endymion,
Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:52 pm
@msolga,
The white popping corn is for the Doggy Person. I've also just found a pumpkin pie that he likes (that I can buy, not bake).

I'd really like to have a seafood meal on Christmas - maybe a clam chowder, smoked salmon and lots of veggies.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 08:55 pm
I spent a solitary (well almost) christmas day a couple of years ago. I decided to go on strike over the usual dysfunctional family deal & gave that a miss. (Something extra-awful had happened. Can't remember the details now) ... & the thought of even attempting to be happy together was simply beyond me.) Friends had left town & I politely declined an invitation to another friend's dysfunctional family celebration. (What? I'm not that crazy! Laughing ) So I spent a few hours in the sunny backyard of an absent friend's home, reading a book & being slobbered over by their dog. Provided myself with a very nice lunch & some vino. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Frankly it was the best available option.
Rockhead

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:02 pm
@msolga,
msolga, I will show up at Gram's at around 9, and will start the ham...

we will watch the parades, and putter in the kitchen until there is some football on.

A friend or two of mine may stop in for a good meal, and my uncle from Texas will call Gram at some point...

I will take off 'bout dark, and rendevous with the felines for a bit of eggnogg, and a check of those I care aboot.

then it's December 26.

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:05 pm
@Rockhead,
Now that doesn't sound too bad at all, Rocky! Very Happy
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:09 pm
We celebrate Christmas Eve over here.
I looking forward to it.
My son Patada Veloz is coming to Mexico (lives in the UK), and I'm going to meet his girlfriend (she's from Germany). I also hope my other son comes too. Them, plus my wife and our daughter.
Don't know what we'll make for dinner; it'll certainly be tasty. A bottle of champagne is already waiting in the fridge.

Dunno about Christmas Day. Eat leftovers, I suppose.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:16 pm
@fbaezer,
Sounds lovely, fbaezer. A reunion of your family, plus a new girlfriend! Very Happy

Does your son lively permanently in the UK, or is he just away temporarily, for study purposes, perhaps?
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:17 pm
@msolga,
I've sympathy for all that, msolga. In my memory, it was a tough kind of tough, but also interesting. Not without a kind of meaning, even though many/most of the patients have a low level of short term memory.

What, you might have a nice glass of wine when you get home.