How will you be spending Christmas day?

fbaezer

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:25 pm
@msolga,
Well, he's been in the Old Continent for 4+ years now.
Working now, as part of his PhD studies.
I think he'll stay in Europe for a good while. Who knows.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:37 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you, osso. I have already met many of the patients in my visits to the aged care facility already. Some of them are pretty sad, lonely people. My mother has Alzheimers Disease (sometimes she introduces me to others as her "sister") & has been fretting about what she'll be doing at Christmas. My neice & I will be there to make Christmas as "normal" as it can be for her under the circumstances. (BTW there has not really been much love lost between us (my mother & I) as family members in the past. ) My neice & I intend to make the best of this celebration for her, though.

I have no doubt I'll have a nice glass of wine (or three! Wink ) on my return home!
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:39 pm
@fbaezer,
He's a bit of a world citizen, like his father? Very Happy
fbaezer

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:45 pm
@msolga,
He's certainly in his way to Smile.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:47 pm
@msolga,
Similar for me, msolga. (I mean about the relationship.)

Reyn

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 09:53 pm
@msolga,
Hi Olga!

This Christmas Day will be the first time in 5 years that Vivienne and I will have both of our daughters home with us on this day. We're looking forward to it.

Earlier this year, our oldest daughter's domestic situation changed (for the better), making it possible.

This is Christmas to me, and topping it off will be my wife's usual excellent supper! Wink
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 10:20 pm
@fbaezer,
And what a thoroughly excellent way to go, fbaezer! Very Happy
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 10:24 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
Similar for me, msolga. (I mean about the relationship.)

Like me, osso, you probably just do the best you can in the circumstances.(without selling yourself completely short. A difficult balancing act, sometimes! Often? Wink )

Sigh.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 10:29 pm
@Reyn,
Quote:
This Christmas Day will be the first time in 5 years that Vivienne and I will have both of our daughters home with us on this day. We're looking forward to it.

Earlier this year, our oldest daughter's domestic situation changed (for the better), making it possible.

This is Christmas to me, and topping it off will be my wife's usual excellent supper!

All together at the one time, at last, Reyn!

I'm very happy for you. Enjoy!

And enjoy Vivienne's excellent cooking! (But I don't have to advise you to do that, do I? Smile )
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 10:42 pm
I shall be flying off to Florida to spend a few days with my mom and her husband. They are getting on in years so who knows how many more we may have left.
msolga

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2008 10:55 pm
@NickFun,
Good idea, Nick. Indeed, who knows how long they have left? You'll feel good after having done the visit.
You haven't seen your mother for a while? (Just guessing from your post)
Enjoy a bit of warmth (in your winter), too! Very Happy
NickFun

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 12:40 am
@msolga,
Thanks msolga. I haven't seen mom since last Christmas. Since I moved out of Boston to the warm regions of So CA I don't mind if I never have a white Christmas again! Gimme warm baby!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 05:11 am
Painting.

Actually, to be more accurate, scraping off old wallpaper from the exercise nook, in preparation for painting. We'll buy the paint on maybe 12/27. RP and I both have some serious time off at the end of the year and Chanukah is not a big holiday (it starts on 12/21 this year, so we'll be lighting the, erm, 5th candle on 12/25). So we'll be doing home improvement.
sozobe

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 08:01 am
@jespah,
Will we be graced with before and after pictures?

I do love before and after pictures.

As for Christmas... my dad and his wife will be visiting; they're Jewish (culturally if not religiously) and don't really celebrate Christmas but will be giving presents to sozlet and she'll be giving presents to them, not sure yet if we'll do that Christmas eve and then they'll take off from their hotel on Christmas morning (they're driving, and Christmas day is a good driving day) or whether they'll stick around with us. Probably the former.

If so, we'll wake up, hang out a bit, admire the tree, have some breakfast in PJ's, probably let sozlet open one present, then go ahead and get dressed and ready for the day, and then really go to town on presents. This takes a while, not so much due to volume as that we each have to look at each present, and talk about it, and write down what it was and who it was from (we get a lot of mailed presents from out of town), and then try to figure out what the next present might be, etc.

Then, when we're finished, we hang out and do things with presents. (Read books. Play with toys. Etc.) Then have lunch (no specific meal), then probably call or receive calls from various family members. Later, we may do some movie-watching.

Misc. sozhousehold traditions:

- Christmas stockings always include an orange and a tin of smoked oysters.
- Stockings are opened first, youngest first.
- Milk and cookies left out for Santa are examined for evidence of consumption.
- Everyone has to get dressed first. This is pure E.G. -- my own tradition growing up was to open presents in PJ's, then finally get showered and dressed once everything was opened. His family tradition was different, and his won out (except for the church-going part).
- Presents to each other should have cryptic clues on the cards that are hard enough that people aren't likely to figure it out ahead of time but accurate enough that they say "ohhhhhh, now I see" when they have opened the present. (sozlet's getting good at this.)
- Ideally, everyone should be up early enough that we can get started when it's still dark, and lights from the Christmas tree are the only illumination.
- Youngest is the "elf" and gets selected presents ("no, that big one in the back, with the gold paper") for herself and everyone else.
- Presents aren't randomly selected -- minor ones first, major ones last. (But the elf may select one randomly and get the go-ahead.)

That's all I can think of...
Endymion

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 08:18 am
This is a great thread Olga

Every time i see another name go up i come over and read--- it's a seasonal relay of excitement and not having tv - the most festive run up to the big day!
I love hearing everyone's plans -even if i don't partake myself - wishing everyone a happy time
alex240101

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 09:11 am
We wake up early. Make coffee, turn the Christmas parade on, exchange our presents.
Throw coats over pajamas, drive a hour to mother in law number ones house. (arrive around nine) Enjoy a traditional homemade biscuits and scratch gravy breakfast. (She is from the south, and her iron skillet is older than I)
Food coma.
Exchange presents.
Off to my sisters. One more hour further away. Visit, exchange, toast with a cold duck.
Drive home. Shower, dress. Go to wifes father and step moms house. Grand dinner. Exchange presents. Watch the college football bowl games.
Go home around ten p.m.
get down on my knees, and thank God for all the blessings He has bestowed on me.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 09:52 am
I'm going to Rockheads Grams.
jespah

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 12:17 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
Will we be graced with before and after pictures?

I do love before and after pictures.

Befores have been taken and uploaded to the faster PC. You won't want to miss the cringe-inspiring wallpaper.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 12:57 pm
Well, Alex and I'll be having dinner with my son and his girlfriend and doing the gift exchange on the 20th since they and we have other plans on the 25th.

A and I are going to his parents' house to cook the meal for whoever is around - I think it's 14 this year. We'll prep the stuffing and all the veg before we go, so it'll be mostly socializing.

Apparently they have some traditions about gift-opening which promises to take hours with all those people Smile
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 01:55 pm
Will probably rise long before most sane folks are beginning the stirrings of waking up.

Will watch the young ones (we are raising a 2 year old, 9 year old and 14 year old) open their stockings. This has been a tradition since I was a boy back in..... err, nevermind.

I think that the two year old will be the most excited. Well, after me that is. The children will open their presents and probably toss the clothing gifts aside and forge on to the good stuff.

All the while the coffee is finally brewing and we will try to interest the children in breakfast.

After this is done we will all get ready for church and go to the 10:30 am service. After the service we will socialize for a short time and then head home to prepare the turkey dinner. The turkey will probably be in the oven before we leave for church.

The older two are both getting their own computer so I will spend part of the day setting them up for them.

After dinner we will either laze around or watch a video together or play a boardgame or just watch the kids enjoy their new stuff.
0 Replies