Friendly Freaks Group (UK)

Izzie

Reply Tue 23 Dec, 2008 07:28 pm
@Endymion,
Looking good Endy... RESULT! glad it worked out. Hey... Walkers 'aint got nothing on your shortbread!
Endymion

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 08:49 am
@Izzie,

having a real sesh on the old guitar - and noot a drop has passed m'lips, vicar
lmur

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 09:07 am
@Endymion,
Ha! The Nick Drake "Pink Moon" cover momentarily fooled me - thought I was looking at your giant cookie! (which does look delicious and has inspired me to try Ehbeth's recipe later).

Popping in to wish you a happy Christmas, Endymion. Look forward to reading more of your creations in the new year.
Izzie

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:42 pm
@Endymion,
Oh coooool Endy.... whaddya play.... don't tell me Fender or I shall fall over!!!!!!

It's our Christmas here hun.... I'm wishing for you health and happiness, and possibly scottish tablet fudge making for in the new year!!!!!!!I

I have two children - one Big Boy and the Litte Fella who's sounda.... BigBoy is being a typical teenager..... "aggggggggh - havn't wrapped pressies, can't do that.... mooooooooooooooooooooooom..." HA! More sellotape and wrapping paper. The dog ended up in a Christmas Bag! Oh my!

Should sleep now... bet you are awake.... 20 to 2.

Take care Endy - peace for you.... you know where I am... gentle hugs. xx

(doing well with the drops not crossing.... strength hun... strength) x

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:44 pm
@lmur,
Imur - sweet PaddyBoy - Happy Seasons Greetings love - take care - have fun - ENJOY with you and yours. x
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 07:58 pm
@Endymion,
Shortbread doesn't have to be beautiful to taste just right. I'm so glad you gave it a try.

I once found a really pretty shortbread pan in a thrift shop - keep meaning to use it as it makes the 'petticoat' cookies - but I'd rather just make quick square biscuits and eat 'em! well, not actually a pan, more a mold thingie - Walter would know the proper name - he knows that sort of thing.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 24 Dec, 2008 08:00 pm
Given the hours kept on this thread, I wonder if Endy could be our first-footer. hamburger used to do it for neighbours when I was a kid. I have very dim memories of it.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 07:16 am
@lmur,

hey - happy Christmas Imur

thanks - your post really gave me good cheer!

here's a tip, in case you do make the shortbread - use a few drops EACH of vanilla AND almond (but don't tell ehBeth) :wink
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 07:18 am

thanks for posting Izzie and EhBeth - hope you are both having a good Christmas -
i will catch up with you soon

endy
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 07:30 am
@Endymion,
discovered nick drake a few years ago, just before the resurgence via adverts, love his songs, tracked down a very good bbc 4 doc called "lost boy - in search of nick drake" hosted by of all people brad pitt, very well done

also recently watched a nice bio doc, "a skin too few: the days of nick drake", lots of interviews with the producers of the albums and his father (voice only) and sister, the sister played a tape of a song their mother had written, it was hauntingly similar to nick's work, and she seems to have struggled with her own inner demons

djjd62

Reply Fri 26 Dec, 2008 07:39 am
@djjd62,
the lost boy doc was bbc 2
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 12:46 am
Know -- Nick Drake

Thanks dj - i'll look for that documentary

Glad to hear from someone else who rates Drake. i just can't leave it alone. It's like someone switched a light on in my head since i heard this album.

Thanks Izzie - do you play guitar? I've been playing an old Spanish acoustic (although i have played a fender bass when i was younger, i seem to have re-engaged with the classic guitar)

- I've been working on a Pink Moon track called From the Morning (youtube vid below) - and a song of my own ... a kind of tribute, i guess.

I think song-writing is my weakest subject, actually...but i love music so much, i can't help letting it drift into my poetry
Hey - I'm still sober btw Smile

Hi ehBeth- i looked up first-footer and it says that if you are blonde or red headed, or your eye-brows meet in the middle, you are no good as a first-footer.
I have to admit, i am none of them. But I am unreliable and tend to bring bad luck -
I think you should ask dj (who doesn't have any eyebrows at all) … Smile

Nick Drake - From the Morning

Hey - don't forget to turn it up! BTW - contrary to what some people might think (and i don't mean anyone here) - i actually find Drake's songs the opposite of sad, tragic, mournful - i don't know why exactly - but they make me feel less alone and strangely uplifted, like **** IT, if people don't get you - or where you're coming from - if they judge you wrongly, no matter. Just keep on being you and let them worry about themselves.

0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 01:22 am
possibly my last piece for 2008 - A tribute to ND&HL

Winter Song

I wandered miles
The wind whipping at my head
Under black skies
Passing far off lights
Where once i had been one with all the rest

I walked west a while
Ground frost crunching under boot
Into the still quiet
Dim lights on distant hills
Where once I stood

I want to lie down and sleep
I long to rest in your hollow
Inside the crook of your smile
In the shade of your shadow
No footprint left here
In the morning snow
Just the echo of a song
That carries me home

Following the moon
Through cold, bleak, bitter air
And when I'm gone I'm moving on
And when I'm gone
I'm reborn

I can smell the bonfires burning
Sunset falling everywhere
And winter comes on us this night
While black-eyed dogs
Give chase to the parasite

The boy he stumbled
From his warm bed
Fell down and kissed the earth
As trees felled, dead
Tomorrow gone... gone on alone

And when I'm gone, I'm moving on
And when I'm gone
I'm reborn

I want to lie down and sleep
I long to rest in your hollow
Inside the crook of your smile
In the shade of your shadow
No footprint left here
In the morning snow
But the echo of a song
That carries me home

Endymion 2008

Endymion

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 01:38 am
I suppose, Drake and Ledger both make me feel less of a freak, somehow.
Here is Black Eyed Dog - which ledger made his own film to and showed in a gallery celebrating Nick Drake's work.

Personally i can understand why people make films like this. It's about self-discovery and about a hundred other things. It could be said that making his own film (only parts of it are showed here) didn't save Ledger - but how do we know? I don't believe reality is what we think it is. I don't know what it is, but I think we are here to learn about ourselves for some reason... and that takes courage most people think of as self-indulgence - but guess what? They are wrong.
If more people took time to really 'discover' themselves and work through some of their **** - the world would be a better place.
I think a lot of people worry about messing with the mind - but really... what else are we?
As for death - we are all going there
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 02:13 am
the black eyed dog = depression
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2008 05:46 am
@Endymion,
Hey Endy....

Thinking on your writing ............

poem... Winter Song - can feel all those words

even sitting here with the sun pouring through the windows - can feel every one of those words -

kinda hard to explain - I wish I could put my thoughts down - can't.

Loneliness.

I think your poem, again, has great depth and inner beauty too. You do good work Endy. Looking forward, if you are able, to see what 2009 will bring from within you.

<clicks back into focus to talk and ...>

Now... as for the guitar " love accoustic guitar.... my BigBoy played a while and was more into electric " he doesn’t play any longer tho....... not a guitar player moi. I do play piano tho - used to.... still tinkle on the ivories when my hands allow. I was telling someone the other day about playing... when I sit down and try and remember a tune I used to play - the one that I was trying at that time was "All Creatures Great and Small" - you know, James Herriot Vet theme... (la...lalalalala laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa la la la! la-la-la-la-laaaa-la-la-la-laaaaaaaa dodoooodydooodydooodydooodyddooooodyddydyddy) (ha - youtube it - might be before your time!) - anyhoooooooo.... I was sitting there trying to remember it and the fingers were hitting the notes but it was all mishapen and wrong and for the life of me I couldn’t get it..... then... if I look away and don't concentrate on the keys - just think the music - suddenly the fingers click in with the music thoughts... and off I go, and from nowhere, somewhere, I'm playing. As long as I don't think about "playing" and just think the music - it seems to happen. Weird! Freaky I reckon. Maple Leaf Rag, Sleepy Shores, Cavatina (my fave) .... I musn’t look at the keys, I just have to feel the music and listen to the sound... sometimes, it’s like my hands are connected to the bit in the brain wired for sound, not for sight " if you see what I mean. Sheesh.... that sounds all cockamamie there.

Guess that's similar to your poetry.... words are like music - if you think too hard about how to say them they come out all jumbled and don't sound right..... if you think about what you're feeling, then the words just get written.

If no-one hears my music - or what I hear - that's OK. It's how I hear it. Bit like writing on the forum - folk either get me or don't, midst the way I talk or what I believe in.

Same for you - if people don't get you.... that's OK. It's not about them, or me, or anyone.... just you.

Poetry is music in words - its feeling - all those little notes joined together to create a poem, prose, song.... may sound offkey to someone else, may sound perfection to another.

You did good Endy... just focus on the day to day. You’re doing a grand job. Love the poetry " tho I know it’s personal to you " thanku for sharing it.

Day to day.....I think it's the only way, for me, anyways.

Take care mate x
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sun 28 Dec, 2008 12:19 pm
hi Izzie

thanks for sharing that

Quote:
I wish I could put my thoughts down - can't.

Loneliness.

sometimes one word is better than a whole bunch of them, eh?

If you want to talk about loneliness any time, i'd be happy to.

btw - -You mustn't worry about me, right? that isn't allowed.
(a lot of my work is cathartic - i write it so that i don't have to feel it...)
I'm always okay - whatever happens

and i'm very honoured you are reading my work

take care of yourself
endy

Izzie

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2008 10:33 pm
@Endymion,
Hey Endy

Wishing you a Happy New Year hun. All good wishes for 2009 - Iz xxxx
Endymion

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 06:22 am
@Izzie,
happy new year Izzie - and everyone
I hope 2009 brings something wonderful to you all
ehBeth

Reply Thu 1 Jan, 2009 10:05 am
@Endymion,
Is it time to put your apron on and bake a few more biccies?

Here's hoping the friendly freaks enjoy a friendly freakish 2009 !!!
0 Replies