Let's get rid of the Electoral College

bulmabriefs144

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 07:23 am
@Robert Gentel,
But this means that states like California and Texas both get the shaft.

I'd like to see split election.

That is, if my state voted Trump, no bullshit, Trump runs my state. If Biden gets Massachusetts, he runs it. No infighting about your state, no cheating, just move where it tends toward blue or red. I'd have to move though, because my state has stopped voting my way for awhile.
farmerman

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 10:44 am
@bulmabriefs144,
imagine an interstate hiway systm based on that, wed be building toll booths OR, investing in Rail
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 18 Oct, 2021 11:37 am
@bulmabriefs144,
bulmabriefs144 wrote:

Uhhh because you don't understand what happens when you have no electoral college?

Whenever you want to know whether an idea is good or not, run it to its logical extreme. We have no electoral college, and whichever president gets most votes period wins (no districts, no states, just popular vote). Okay, so... let's take the city of Seattle. Suppose all the country's liberals move there , and they breed like ******* rabbits.

Tell me, what would think of one city deciding for all of the small towns in America? Don't you think they'd be kinda pissed to have policies shoved down their throats when all districts but this one (since they all moved there) voted against this? This is popular vote in its most pure form. It's what the founders called "the tyranny of the masses" when one small portion of land decides for everyone not living there.

This is why the electoral college. Because stretches of land, and the people living therein, want to be represented. All the farmers and coal miners get the shaft when Big City A decides they don't matter.

Land is land, Bulma.

People are people.

The votes go to the people...not to acres of land.

Get your head out of wherever you've got it stuck most of the time.
oralloy

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2021 05:05 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
The votes go to the people...not to acres of land.

You traitors sure do hate democracy. It's a good thing the Framers provided us with the Electoral College to protect the American people from your treason.
VABGirl

Reply Tue 19 Oct, 2021 07:35 pm
@oralloy,
I agree with you.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2021 02:40 am
@VABGirl,
VABGirl wrote:

I agree with you.

That pretty much says it all!
oralloy

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2021 09:54 am
@Frank Apisa,
Americans dislike treason and terrorism. If they liked such things, they would be progressives instead of Americans.

So, yes. When you see someone oppose treason and terrorism, that shows that they are Americans instead of progressives.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 20 Oct, 2021 10:45 am
@oralloy,
Childish name calling and hysterical raving. The 17th amendment removed the purely politic al reason the f.fs put it in the constitution. It is an anti democratic anachronism that has historically given us some of our worst presidents such as w. And the proto fascist trump. Abolish that sucker now.s
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 04:44 am

https://iili.io/WlPT9p.jpg
Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 04:53 am
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

https://iili.io/WlPT9p.jpg

Absolutely SHOULD HAPPEN.

But absolutely WON'T HAPPEN.

We're screwed. The minority will run things in our nation.
georgeob1

Reply Fri 6 May, 2022 08:45 pm
@Frank Apisa,
public
Frank Apisa wrote:

You are likely to soon find out that your imagined minority is actually a majority on this issue and many others. Democrats got through Roe vs Wade what they had been unable to get through democratic processes in State Legislatures where this and other like issues belong. Even today national poll data indicate a small majority who oppose that ill-conceived Supreme Court Decision,

Soon enough we will see the votes of people across the country regarding their confidence (or lack of it) ) in Left Wing Democrat, social, economic & political policies. Joe Biden is a gift who keeps on giving. He, Pelosi, Schumer and the Squad have managed to quickly end a 25 year period of steady, low inflation and growing prosperity, that culminated in fast growing employment & workforce participation, coupled with accelerated economic growth, energy independence, and the beginnings of renewal in American manufacturing. That's all gone now, and done in record time. Fuel prices are rising fast, food shortages loom ahead; Inflation (the CPI average is at 8.5%/year and still rising) - a 40 year record - and the inevitable recession is about a year (or less) away. Biden & the Federal Reserve have irrationally denied evident facts and attempts to delude the public with the illusion that all this was a transitory result of international; trade disruptions, (and more recently Putin's doing). Now they're far behind in reversing economic & monetary policies and the public will bear the consequences. ( we should all thank Senator Manchin for his stubborn refusal to support the stupid BBB spending legislation - had it passed we would be in even worse straits now).

Of course it's all Putin's fault. For the leader of a country demonstrably unable to achieve his own priority objectives as planned, he has certainly done well in "controlling" - as our incompetent Administration would have us believe - the internal political & economic processes in ours. The increasingly obvious truth here is that Putin is merely the Democrat's favorite, and habitual, excuse for their own repeated failures.

The evident unwillingness of Democrats to look beyond their propaganda, and at the actual results of their actions and policies is truly remarkable.

Here in California our government has announced the end (in 15 years) of sales of new petroleum powered vehicles - we'll be all electric then they say. Oddly nothing has yet been said or done about the doubling of our electrical power production that will be required to support this fantasy. The state hasn't licensed a new power generating plant in 25 years, and imports about 30% of its current electrical power consumption. (Wind & solar remain less than 12% of total production, and it takes over 15 years just to get a new powerplant (of any design) through the state NEPA permitting process (before construction can even begin !).

Anyway Frank -- my greetings. I hope you are doing well and enjoying yourself.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 May, 2022 03:39 am
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

public
Frank Apisa wrote:

You are likely to soon find out that your imagined minority is actually a majority on this issue and many others. Democrats got through Roe vs Wade what they had been unable to get through democratic processes in State Legislatures where this and other like issues belong. Even today national poll data indicate a small majority who oppose that ill-conceived Supreme Court Decision,

Soon enough we will see the votes of people across the country regarding their confidence (or lack of it) ) in Left Wing Democrat, social, economic & political policies. Joe Biden is a gift who keeps on giving. He, Pelosi, Schumer and the Squad have managed to quickly end a 25 year period of steady, low inflation and growing prosperity, that culminated in fast growing employment & workforce participation, coupled with accelerated economic growth, energy independence, and the beginnings of renewal in American manufacturing. That's all gone now, and done in record time. Fuel prices are rising fast, food shortages loom ahead; Inflation (the CPI average is at 8.5%/year and still rising) - a 40 year record - and the inevitable recession is about a year (or less) away. Biden & the Federal Reserve have irrationally denied evident facts and attempts to delude the public with the illusion that all this was a transitory result of international; trade disruptions, (and more recently Putin's doing). Now they're far behind in reversing economic & monetary policies and the public will bear the consequences. ( we should all thank Senator Manchin for his stubborn refusal to support the stupid BBB spending legislation - had it passed we would be in even worse straits now).

Of course it's all Putin's fault. For the leader of a country demonstrably unable to achieve his own priority objectives as planned, he has certainly done well in "controlling" - as our incompetent Administration would have us believe - the internal political & economic processes in ours. The increasingly obvious truth here is that Putin is merely the Democrat's favorite, and habitual, excuse for their own repeated failures.

The evident unwillingness of Democrats to look beyond their propaganda, and at the actual results of their actions and policies is truly remarkable.

Here in California our government has announced the end (in 15 years) of sales of new petroleum powered vehicles - we'll be all electric then they say. Oddly nothing has yet been said or done about the doubling of our electrical power production that will be required to support this fantasy. The state hasn't licensed a new power generating plant in 25 years, and imports about 30% of its current electrical power consumption. (Wind & solar remain less than 12% of total production, and it takes over 15 years just to get a new powerplant (of any design) through the state NEPA permitting process (before construction can even begin !).

Anyway Frank -- my greetings. I hope you are doing well and enjoying yourself.

I'm doing very well, George. Finally tossed my part-time gig...and I'm able to play a round of golf just about every day. And Nancy and I have become first-rate jigsaw puzzle doers. My health is great.

Hope life is treating you as generously as it is treating me.

But as I said, the minority will continue to run this country...and its control over the majority will accelerate. Our Senate, and Electoral College protocols have become an abomination...in favor of (the minority) rightwing America. And because of that, the Supreme Court has become a nightmare of Nightmare on Elm Street proportions.

It will destroy our nation...and the great experiment started in the late 18th century will come to a dismal end as a failure.

I understand that people on your side of the aisle will be delighted that your side has "won"...but it will not be "the people on our side of the aisle" that lose...it will be America and the world. I suspect your side will see that...but only after it is too late.

BillW

Reply Sat 7 May, 2022 11:32 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

I understand that people on your side of the aisle will be delighted that your side has "won"...but it will not be "the people on our side of the aisle" that lose...it will be America and the world. I suspect your side will see that...but only after it is too late.

Their leaders will love their Autocratic power. The people will blame it on the Dems.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 7 May, 2022 11:37 am
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Their leaders will love their Autocratic power. The people will blame it on the Dems.

Yeah, they blame everything bad that happens on the Dems. Must be wonderful to be able to delude one's self the way they do.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 28 Sep, 2022 04:39 pm
Quote:
Senate's Electoral Count Act reform heads for broad bipartisan vote

The Senate’s bill to reform how Congress certifies presidential elections is on track to pass the chamber
by a comfortable margin after advancing out of committee on Tuesday.

Why it matters: The bill would significantly raise the threshold for members of Congress to object to
Electoral College votes and clarify the vice president’s role in the process as purely ceremonial as a
remedy for the events of Jan. 6, 2021.

Driving the news: Senate Minority Leader McConnell (R-Ky.) announced his support for the legislation
on Tuesday, saying in a floor speech that the "chaos" of Jan. 6 "underscored the need for an update."

• Soon after, the bill passed out of the Senate Rules Committee by 14-1, with just Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas)
voting against it because it "decreases the ability of Congress to address instances of fraud."

• Sen. Cindy Hyde-Smith (R-Miss.), who voted to decertify Pennsylvania’s and Arizona’s electors on Jan. 6,
was among the seven Republicans who voted for the bill.

• A senior GOP aide told Axios that McConnell’s support, as well as Hyde-Smith's, is a good sign for the bill
and that support is only likely to grow — adding that it’s tough to make a case against it.
(axios)
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2022 06:17 am

https://iili.io/HC9KbVV.jpg
McGentrix

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2022 11:58 am
@Region Philbis,
whoopity-*******-hoo

Let's disband the United States of America and just change it to the "Populous States of America"
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 4 Dec, 2022 12:02 pm
@Region Philbis,
Now reverse those images with a pure popular votes. The EC helps keep California, Texas, and New York from running the country.

And example of that would be the power Texas (where the state mandates what will be in text books every year, including creationism, leaving out evolution, ignoring black history etc.

Texas has more school children than any other state. The textbooks for Texas are inexpensive because of the economy of scale in printing them. Guess who also buys these cheap books: thousands of poorer school board all around the nation. Texas is dumbing down our nation.

Taking away the EC will have a couple of unintended deadly consequences.
McGentrix

Reply Mon 5 Dec, 2022 10:32 am
@bobsal u1553115,
Shocked

We agree on something