Let's get rid of the Electoral College

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 05:16 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Id feel better if they jut would vote to do away with the "winner take all" assignment of electors.
That would make every state more representative of a "one man, one vote" set-up.
roger

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 05:41 pm
@farmerman,
That I could go for.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 06:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Id feel better if they jut would vote to do away with the "winner take all" assignment of electors.

States are free to make that change for themselves if they choose to do so.

farmerman wrote:
That would make every state more representative of a "one man, one vote" set-up.

I don't see how it would have that effect.
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 07:50 pm
@farmerman,
It would still be a weighted vote in favor of the small states.
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 07:53 pm
@InfraBlue,
I agree.

I do not understand why farmerman believes that it will solve that problem.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 09:57 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
I don't want to see how it would have that effect.

Editorial revision mine.
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 10:01 pm
@InfraBlue,
Actually it would weight the election to its actual plurality which would Not necesssarily disenfranchise bigger states because the smaller states would also have a vote split.

Hirray would have won in 2016 , Bush would have still won in 2000, but not by USSC mashuginzen
oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 10:11 pm
@farmerman,
Your revision is incorrect. I do not care whether it will have that effect or not.

I merely observe the reality that it will not have that effect.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 10:12 pm
@farmerman,
The change that you propose would not in itself injure large states.

However, it will do nothing to address or remedy the existing injury to large states.
farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Mar, 2021 10:25 pm
@oralloy,
It would even out the entire plurality of the country. There would be a major and minor elector number from each state.

Sometimes fairness is regarded with suspicion by those who want to dominate at all costs.

OOOH OOOH , lets legislate that convicted felons cannot run for the top xecutive office of the Country or the States

oralloy

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 03:36 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
It would even out the entire plurality of the country. There would be a major and minor elector number from each state.

I recognize the change. I just don't see how your proposed change has any benefits over the current way of doing things.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 05:09 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

That certainly would be a welcome reform, FM.

Getting the red state senators to agree to even that, though, would be a tough haul. I think we are stuck with undue, undemocratic right-wing minority influence here.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 4 Mar, 2021 06:36 am
@oralloy,
I used to be an educator and I have to admit that when a student arrives with preconceived "facts" it takes undue efforts to "Unlarn him". However, back then I was getting paid to do that.

Im afraid youre on yer own cause I really dont have any contractual obligations to larn you.

oralloy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2021 01:11 pm
@farmerman,
It's not very nice of you to try to excuse your failure by lying about me.
farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2021 02:45 pm
@oralloy,
Ive never lied about or to you, youre daft. I only speak fact
So youre against one person one vote eh?
oralloy

Reply Sat 6 Mar, 2021 04:55 pm
@farmerman,
You falsely accused me of having untrue beliefs. You did this to avoid having to defend your position (which you are unable to do because your position is factually incorrect).

Winner take all does not in any way conflict with one person one vote.
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 06:05 am
@oralloy,
mathematics is not high in yer skills inventory, is it?

If you dont understand something merely ask a question in a more peripatetic manner, dont go walkin all over the marketplace issuing challenges you cannot fill.
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 07:40 am
@farmerman,
I'm better at math than you are.

I understand the subject perfectly. I'm not the one who couldn't back up his position and resorted to lying about people in an attempt to cover up that failure.

I can fill every challenge that I've made. And I have done so. That's one reason why I don't resort to lying about people.
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 10:23 am
@oralloy,
wann solve some FFT's in 20 seconds or less? Ill wipe you into a road smudge.

Any higher math skills in your quiver? or are you just a savant who can pick dates 127 years from now
oralloy

Reply Sun 7 Mar, 2021 11:41 am
@farmerman,
I'd be more interested in seeing you back up your position regarding the electoral college.

But I recognize that you lack the ability to do that.