A2K Redesign

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:26 am
Welcome to the redesign. We have tried to test it as best we can, and everything seems to be working smoothly. However, there are thousands of possibilities between different operating systems, browsers, and actions on the site. Browse around and let us know if you find any errors.

There will be a blog post later on explaining some of the changes we made, so stay tuned for that. And of course, this isn't the end of things. We are already working on a gameplan for the next phase of updates.

Hope you enjoy!

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:30 am
Quick adaptation guide:

1) You are used to using the home page to look for new posts. Now there's a page dedicated for this in the header menu ("New Posts"). It will take some getting used to, but we made these separate pages to minimize the confusion some users had with the sorting preferences.

2) Tagging topics is now done below the title on the topic page (green link under the tags).

3) The different sorts are gone for now (most viewed, most replied), but we are looking at ways to bring them back for those who found them useful.

4) As Nick already said, there are thousands of possible things to check with a change like this. On some browsers some things may not look just right, please let us know if you run into any bugs and we'll fix them.
roger

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:36 am
@Nick Ashley,
Well, first rattle out of the box, it looks very good visually. In fact, I'm loving the full width display.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:39 am
@roger,
Do you get what I was talking about with the muscle memory to the logo yet?
Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:41 am
Directory service on home page!
New Topics!
You even put a reply to all on both the top and bottom of the pages!

Bravo. This is more like it!

This is great!
K
O

Diest TKO

@Diest TKO,
T
K
Oh yeah. It looks good too.
0 Replies

dlowan

@Nick Ashley,
Wow!

Like it.

And like the more compact set out of the threads.

Awww...the new curvy logo is cute, too.

And the ask a question, start a discussion more obvious.

Kinda like the green stuff, too.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:42 am
@Robert Gentel,
No, but if I'm using it, it works, and I just don't notice it, all's well.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:11 am
Very well done! This should make a lot of folks happier.

If this is going to be fairly stable, I'll do a quick tutorial of it if you wish.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:14 am
@Nick Ashley,
Looks, well not bad - obviously just the first surprise, which made me hesitaing to reply with a full "I like it"!

And it's extremely - at least here (and under Chrome).

Well done!
Thanks very much!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:20 am
Since it isn't immediately obvious, for anyone looking for these, check out the footer of each page to navigate to these items that were previously accessed in other methods:

Ask a Question • Start a Discussion
My Account • My Profile • My Preferences • My Ignored Users
Home • About Us • Blog • Terms of Service • Privacy Policy • Contact Us
Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:24 am
@Butrflynet,
I think, it's really an advantage to have those links at the bottom (as well as the "normal" on the top as before).
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:28 am
@Butrflynet,
No ads?

If you will be including them, where will their placement be? I'm liking the wider body of the posts so I hope we don't lose that to an additional column for ads.

How about horizontal ad space periodically embedded between posts and/or below the menu bar at the top of the page instead?
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:32 am
Any possibility of adding an RSS feed link to each topic page that we can use in place of the subscriptions for email notifications?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:33 am
@Butrflynet,
I wrote a bit about the ads on the blog.

Right now there are no ads for logged in users (who don't tend to click ads anyway). Guests see some ads but we need to work on their placement.

We don't have enough ads running to cover site costs right now, so we'll need to add some back but they will be horizontal leaderboards for the most part without column additions.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:33 am
Crikey, changes! Surprised

Give me a minute (or a 100) before I respond. Gotta get used to the changes first .....
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:35 am
@msolga,
love the question mark numero dos. very nice.

i actually will start going to specific tags/directories

Yay! more of me on a2k, hold on to your pants ladies.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:35 am
@Butrflynet,
We are going to do RSS feeds of topic grids, and also email updates. I don't know about topic RSS feeds.

But you'd probably get what you wanted out of the topic grid rss feeds we are going to make (e.g. if you have a feed fo the My Posts grid, you'd see updates whenever any of the topics you've replied to has a new post).

In either case, we aren't considering a lot of features right now, our next priorities are the email updates and the questions (the tools to mark them answered to get them off the unanswered list). After that there's still PMs and search. We'll get to some small feature additions before then but want to avoid feature creep or those priorities will shift too much.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:39 am
@Robert Gentel,
how exactly do i post...?

wheres the buttons?
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:39 am
nevermind!
0 Replies