A2K Redesign

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:40 am
@OGIONIK,
New topics? Those links moved to the header.
msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:40 am
Great to have the "reply to all" at the bottom of the last post!
This sure beats scrolling to the top left of the page to post or "replying" via the last post (which you probably weren't replying to at all).
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:41 am
@Robert Gentel,
Cool. You could probably do something similar for a "Friends" feature where we can subscribe as "Fans" to an RSS feed on a person's profile page to be notified when they write new posts.

Great job you guys! The flexibility of the new site is really shining through with this redesign.
msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:42 am
@msolga,
I also very much like the wider screen. (Thinking of big, wide images & cartoons! Wink )
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
I think he was asking about how to initiate a new topic and figured it out that he clicks on Ask a Question or Start a Discussion located in the header.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:46 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
You could probably do something similar for a "Friends" feature where we can subscribe as "Fans" to an RSS feed on a person's profile page to be notified when they write new posts.

We have social networking features like that planned. E.g. you can add friends, and get lists of friend activity (with feeds etc). It should make some of the smaller microcosms more viable to be connected more socially to each other.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:49 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:
If this is going to be fairly stable, I'll do a quick tutorial of it if you wish.

Some minor things might still change (e.g. the thumbs on the topic grids are ugly and may change to arrows) but if you don't mind those changes requiring new screenshots and the like I think the basics are not going to change much anymore and would welcome any help I can get with documentation.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:50 am
I have one small (I think) request. Follow my thought.

Click on the New Posts link to navigate to the list of new posts.

Now try to refresh the list. The only way to do so without using the refresh button on the browser is to click the A2K logo and then click the New Posts link again.

Now go back to the New Posts list. See the header on that page that says "New Posts"? Would it be possible to also make that a hyperlink that refreshes the New Posts list without having to leave the page or use the browser's Refresh button?
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:51 am
@Butrflynet,
Not sure I follow, the header menu link works on that page and can be used to refresh it, just click "New Posts" in the header again (not the breadcrumbs).
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:52 am
@Robert Gentel,
Let me know if you have any style formats you want followed. If not, I'll do something similar to what I did for the slideshow. Or, can just do a documentation style with screenshots.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:54 am
@Robert Gentel,
Ah, okay. Didn't even think about clicking the New Posts link in the menu bar. That works and was so obvious, I'm embarrassed.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:56 am
@Butrflynet,
Well, I'd like to do the bulk of it in plain text so that it gets dated less quickly so ideally it would be text and screenshots.

Video tutorials can also be helpful, but we'd likely post them to youtube and embed on the blog because we'd need a text version anyway for accessibility.

I'd been laying out the help pages, and was using a FAQ format with subsections (e.g. a section on tagging etc). But I can work almost whatever you provide into the layout I need. Preferrably plain text (MS office formatting is a pain to remove) and images for screenshots.

If you do want to do videos (I don't have a good microphone on my computer) CamStudio (http://camstudio.org/) is a good free screen recorder that's easy to use.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:07 am
@Robert Gentel,
Okay, let's see if I have clarity. It sounds like you have most of the instructional text written for using the various features and tools and just need something on the layout and how to use the navigation system. Correct? If not, please expand on what you need.

I checked out that CamStudio website and it looks doable. Once we have a script written and the screens mocked up for capturing I'll do the video for you.
msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:08 am
@msolga,
Whoops, spoke too soon! But I do like the new links to the broad topic categories on the right hand side of the page. And there is still considerably more "posting" space than on the previous A2K version.
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:09 am
@Butrflynet,
I don't have anything written up yet, and don't even have a good outline going so I can use help with either at the moment.

Alternately I can try to get a framework going later and you can try when I have better plans.
Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:16 am
@Robert Gentel,
Heh. Okay, let's work on an outline of what you want it to encompass and then we can work on the bits and pieces for you to seam together into a grid of FAQ tutorials. With an outline we can probably get more people to help with the initial writing for the the bits and pieces too.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:19 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Whoops, spoke too soon! But I do like the new links to the broad topic categories on the right hand side of the page. And there is still considerably more "posting" space than on the previous A2K version.

Did you run into a problem, MsOlga, or are you referring to the smaller space in the form where we type out the text of the posts?
msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:25 am
@Butrflynet,
No, no problem at all, Butrflynet. When I first posted the size of the "posted" area filled the whole width of screen .... now there's the the list of topic areas down the right hand side. That's fine. Thanks for asking.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 03:02 am
@Nick Ashley,
Quote:
Browse around and let us know if you find any errors.

A fairly minor one, but when I was attempting to post to a thread at the same as another poster was doing the same, I received an "error" message & my post didn't appear on the thread.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 03:02 am
Hey, that's weird. My browser has my avatar as one image, but if you look at my profile it has a different one. Is this just my browser?

T
K
O