Geek and Nerd Humor

parados

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 09:07 am
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

InfraBlue wrote:
Quote:
Well, thesaurus is the Latin translation of the Greek word thesauros, so the Latin plural would be thesauri, as it is in English. In Greek the plural would be thesauroi.

Merry, if Latin borrowed the word from Greek, then why hasn't it taken the Greek plural?

I suppose for the same reasons the Romans didn't keep the names of the Greek Gods when they borrowed them. (They wanted to torment you.)
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 10:59 am
@parados,
Typically stupid comment from parados. Overreaction much.

Language sure ain't your long suit, P. What the hell is?
DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:12 am
@JTT,
This is "geek and nerd humor," not "pedantry and rectal comparisons."

Give it a rest, ya'll.
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 11:57 am
@DrewDad,
This is a discussion of geek humor, DD. These guys like Merry are language geeks. The only difference between them and computer geeks is that they only think they know something about language.

Notice how Merry has, ho hum, once again, taken a powder.
tsarstepan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 12:00 pm
@DrewDad,
Yep I can agree with you completely DrewDad. It's funny how those persons in question are missing the point of these humor threads unless they really think their faux academic musings are quite humorous. Then that would be just sad sack. Grammar geeks are the least humorous of the human species.
izzythepush

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 12:04 pm
http://static.fjcdn.com/pictures/Merry+*******+Christmas_b678cd_3816348.jpg
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 12:09 pm
@tsarstepan,
Your typical lame stuff, Tsars.

How come you make attempts to reply in the language threads?

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 01:26 pm
re Jtt:
One would assume it didn't use the Greek plural for the same reason that the English plural of the borrowed-from-Latin word "forum" is usually (tho not always) "forums", rather than the Latin plural "fora" (some more pedantic people, OmSigDavid among them, do insist on "fora", tho it's been an English word for at least five hundred years). Borrowed words after awhile tend to follow the grammatical rules of the language they were borrowed into. And very few people know the plural forms of many languages other than English, so they don't survive. Latin plurals, sometimes, Hebrew plurals in a couple words. Greek, doubtful. Algonquin plurals, fahgeddabaddit.

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 01:38 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Borrowed words after awhile tend to follow the grammatical rules of the language they were borrowed into. And very few people know the plural forms of many languages other than English, so they don't survive. Latin plurals, sometimes, Hebrew plurals in a couple words. Greek, doubtful. Algonquin plurals, fahgeddabaddit.

A word borrowed becomes part of the language it's borrowed into immediately. A word is borrowed to add a meaning that doesn't exist in the mother language.

The rules that are followed are the real rules that guide each language. These define how the new word is used. You illustrated that above, MJ. If there was actually any valid reason to bring along the rules [and pronunciation] of other languages, it would apply equally across the board to all languages and for all languages.

It does not.

The only reason these few survive is because of ignorant, know nothing pedants.

Notice how quickly Merry took a powder.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 01:43 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

This is a discussion of geek humor, DD. These guys like Merry are language geeks. The only difference between them and computer geeks is that they only think they know something about language.

Notice how Merry has, ho hum, once again, taken a powder.

I don't know where or why you get the impression that I've "taken a powder", to use your own quaint expression. Just because I don't deign to participate in what you think is a "conversation" and what the rest of us identify as a mindless, idiotic rant does not indicate my absence. I'm here. I read your horseshit mindless posts and get a good chuckle. No need to comment on uncontrollable lunacy.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 01:46 pm
Meanwhile, does anyone have any geek and/or nerd humor they'd like to share? That's what this thread is supposed to be about.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 01:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Notice how Merry takes another powder.

This fount of wisdom, [ideas cribbed from other sources] can't even defend his "own" ideas.

Oh, did you know that Merry was once a newspaper guy. His cowardly, deceptive, stay with the memes manner is a perfect fit for being a US "media" guy.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 01:49 pm
@JTT,
AAgain, a too simplistic answer. Sometimes the borrowed word describes something the language doesn't cover. Sometimes the borrowed word is just an alternate word for the same thing. sometimes it's thought of as a tonier word to use for a less high-toned native word. Sometimes it's a euphemism, or sometimes it's new so it's thought to have more punch, e.g. cojones for balls, or testicles for balls (borrowing for both reasons).

Sometimes it follows the rules of the borrowing language, sometimes not for long periods of time. Alumnus. alumni, alumna, alumnae would be an example where the borrowed word has persisted for several centuries with the original plurals intact.

Beware of over-generalization, JTT. Tsarstepan is right.. Grammar geeks are the most humorless of the lot
DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 01:58 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
http://smashingtops.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/geek_tshirt-13812.jpg
DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 02:03 pm
@DrewDad,
http://i.imgur.com/Tkit6.jpg
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 02:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
Quote:
Sometimes it follows the rules of the borrowing language, sometimes not for long periods of time.

No, they don't, MJ. Except for some very very limited situations, Latin being foremost in this regard. This has occurred only because there has existed the same pedants/idiots that have attempted to perpetuate prescriptions as actual rules of the English language.

Quote:
Grammar geeks are the most humorless of the lot

That would be your Setantas, your Merrys [though Merry had not the smarts or the cojones to defend] your others who too part in the pet peeves threads. A humorless lot indeed.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 02:04 pm
@DrewDad,
http://i.imgur.com/4Q0Y4.jpg
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 02:06 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Notice how Merry takes another powder.

I'm right here. Yoo Hoo! Over here!

Quote:
This fount of wisdom, [ideas cribbed from other sources] can't even defend his "own" ideas.

Didn't realize I was expected to defend something here. Wasn't even trying. And what's your point about "cribbed from other sources"? Howard Zinn is not "another source"? Noam Chomsky is not "another source"? That's what you do -- quote your own great folk heroes. I doubt that you have ever in your life had a single original thought.

Quote:
Oh, did you know that Merry was once a newspaper guy. His cowardly, deceptive, stay with the memes manner is a perfect fit for being a US "media" guy.

The ad hominem arguments again. Did you know that JTT was once an infant? Noisy bawler, I expect.
JTT

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 02:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Merry takes yet another powder.

Do ducks quack?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2012 03:10 pm
http://media-cache-ec2.pinterest.com/upload/40743571598978775_7I4B5BVb_b.jpg