Geek and Nerd Humor

JTT

Reply Mon 17 Dec, 2012 07:22 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
As an English plural thesauri is mostly just an affectation. The natural plural is thesauruses.

Quote:
Conventionalization is a gradual process in which a word progressively permeates a larger and larger speech community, becoming part of ever more people's linguistic repetoire. As part of its becoming more familiar to more people, a newly borrowed word gradually adopts sound and other characteristics of the borrowing language as speakers who do not know the source language accommodate it to their own linguistic systems. In time, people in the borrowing community do not perceive the word as a loanword at all. Generally, the longer a borrowed word has been in the language, and the more frequently it is used, the more it resembles the native words of the language.

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~kemmer/Words04/structure/borrowed.html

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 11:13 am
@hingehead,
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 01:51 pm
@JTT,
JTT wrote:

Quote:
As an English plural thesauri is mostly just an affectation. The natural plural is thesauruses.

Quote:
Conventionalization is a gradual process in which a word progressively permeates a larger and larger speech community, becoming part of ever more people's linguistic repetoire. As part of its becoming more familiar to more people, a newly borrowed word gradually adopts sound and other characteristics of the borrowing language as speakers who do not know the source language accommodate it to their own linguistic systems. In time, people in the borrowing community do not perceive the word as a loanword at all. Generally, the longer a borrowed word has been in the language, and the more frequently it is used, the more it resembles the native words of the language.

http://www.ruf.rice.edu/~kemmer/Words04/structure/borrowed.html

Neither you nor Kemmer is going to get an argument from me on that score. In fact, that assessment is so obvious it just barely needs stating. However, there is a process involved here which includes a passage of time. Words do not change overnight, the process of change is evolutionary. In the case of pluralizing 'thesaurus', all I said (or, at least, meant to say) is that at this point in time 'thesauri' is still the most accepted pluralization, that saying, let alone writing, 'thesauruses' is considered a sign of ignorance and a student does well to remember that when submitting something in writing. Fifty years from now? Who knows? It may seen quaintly old-fashioned to say 'thesauri' instead of the good ole 'Murrican 'thesauruses.' But I submit that that day is not here yet.
JTT

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 07:48 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
In the case of pluralizing 'thesaurus', all I said (or, at least, meant to say) is that at this point in time 'thesauri' is still the most accepted pluralization, that saying, let alone writing, 'thesauruses' is considered a sign of ignorance and a student does well to remember that when submitting something in writing.

Again, the only reason that it is used at all is because of those who actually are thee truly ignorant, Merry. English has a rule for plurals and that rule doesn't make room for pedants who want to show off.

Granted, usage makes allowances for these silly goofs. There's no sane reason to use Latin plurals for words that aren't Latin. 'thesaurus' is an English word. What its etymology is doesn't matter squat.

Quote:
InfraBlue wrote: Well, thesaurus is the Latin translation of the Greek word thesauros, so the Latin plural would be thesauri, as it is in English. In Greek the plural would be thesauroi.

If Latin borrowed the word from Greek, then why hasn't it taken the Greek plural?

Quote:
Fifty years from now? Who knows? It may seen quaintly old-fashioned to say 'thesauri' instead of the good ole 'Murrican 'thesauruses.' But I submit that that day is not here yet.

Google Advanced Search: US region specified

thesauri
About 592,000 results

thesauruses
About 1,500,000 results
spikepipsqueak

Reply Wed 19 Dec, 2012 08:33 pm
@JTT,
http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/340396_479520832086888_206449712_o.jpg
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 02:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sandwich.png
Setanta

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 04:16 pm
@rosborne979,
@ All

This is as good a spot as any for this--seen at FB:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/479733_462646710459660_598403343_n.png
JTT

Reply Thu 20 Dec, 2012 10:25 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
Words do not change overnight, the process of change is evolutionary.

Quote:

Doncha think that one ought to consider even a modicum of research before he advances a notion, Merry. Not even you is that old.

But this is simply a red herring. The rule for English and every other language on the planet is,

FOLLOW THE NATURAL RULES

How many languages is this old canard followed for? One? Latin? There are so many reasons why this is just so dumb - note that that's a prerequisite for prescriptions - just plain dumb.

0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 10:07 am
@Setanta,

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/428801_425347244201860_121742130_n.jpg
JTT

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 10:13 am
@Region Philbis,
Merry Andrew, stumped as always.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 10:29 am
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/sandwich.png

I don't get it.... Embarrassed
DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 10:33 am
@tsarstepan,
"Sudo" is a unix command to elevate privileges. (Short for "super-user do," it executes a command as an administrator. So a command that does not work in your usual environment will work when prefaced by "sudo.")
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 10:36 am
@DrewDad,
Cool. Thanks DD. Smile
DrewDad

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 10:54 am
@tsarstepan,
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 01:54 pm
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

I'm not surprised. Any non-unix geeks won't know the reference, which makes it a truly geek/nerd joke (hopefully worthy of the thread) Wink
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2012 02:18 pm
@rosborne979,
I am the one not worthy of this thread Sir Rosborne. That XKCD comic is definitely worthy of true geekiness! Smile

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 07:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
However, there is a process involved here which includes a passage of time. Words do not change overnight,

Andrei Lustig pretending he knows something about language.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 09:38 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

tsarstepan wrote:

I'm not surprised. Any non-unix geeks won't know the reference, which makes it a truly geek/nerd joke (hopefully worthy of the thread) Wink

There are obviously many entries here that are worthy of the thread, then. I award somewhere around 40% my coveted "Blank Look Award".
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 24 Dec, 2012 09:45 pm
@roger,
@all

A holiday message for all of the geeks and nerds out there.

For the geeks:

Quote:
SELECT * FROM Holidays WHERE Merry = (select MAX(Merry));

For the nerds:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/34732_181560035320152_1273113861_n.jpg
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 25 Dec, 2012 11:12 am
@Lustig Andrei,
InfraBlue wrote:
Quote:
Well, thesaurus is the Latin translation of the Greek word thesauros, so the Latin plural would be thesauri, as it is in English. In Greek the plural would be thesauroi.

Merry, if Latin borrowed the word from Greek, then why hasn't it taken the Greek plural?