dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:04 am
@talk72000,
You can't use your browser back button??
talk72000

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 12:48 am
@dlowan,
Browser back button gets you to the pre-reply position.
majikal

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 01:32 am
No.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 02:33 am
@talk72000,
Yeah...but a couple more clicks and it takes you back to the where you clicked on the thread from.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 06:54 am
@talk72000,
talk72000 wrote:

I find that after commenting or replying there isn't any navigational arrow to get back to the section. Suppose one goes to 'politics' and chooses a topic say 'taxes'. At 'taxes' one can reply to another person but he/she is stuck on 'taxes' and on 'discussions'. I need to get back to 'politics' but must go back to 'able2know' and then to 'politics'. There is a feeling but being boxed in a maze.

Wouldnt 'politics' just be in the related tag listing on the left? Lemme try.. Yep, if you've clicked on the taxes tag, then politics is right at the top of the related tags.

I'm betting that the larger topic you came from will almost always be in the related tags section if you've browsed on to a more specific subject.

Now if you go the other way round, from taxes to politics - or in general from something specific to a more general subject, you're probably less likely to see it show up in the related tags. You'd have to use your back button like dlowan said or go via the homepage like you dexcribe (though apparently a new design change will change that again). But then on the old site, there wasnt even any place to bring together threads about taxes or such more specific subjects...
cjhsa

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:00 am
@nimh,
The problems I'm having with updating my avatar are just another reason to vote NO.
dlowan

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 07:58 am
@cjhsa,
And not having to see your puerile avatar is another reason to vote Yes.
Francis

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:00 am
NO.

But maybe I'll say yes sometime in the future, when the promised features will be implemented.

(I'm just mad as I cannot count the number of bad words some posters utter).
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:08 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

And not having to see your puerile avatar is another reason to vote Yes.

**** you dlowan. You are part and parcel of the problem both with this site and society. It is impolite to ignore people even if you don't like them. So don't expect me to be the least bit polite in return.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 08:35 am
@CalamityJane,
In terms of the initial question asked, "Do you think the new a2k design is better manageable and more user friendly than the old one", my immediate answer is No.

That being said, I have not been around for a while and I have not put in the effort yet to get to know the new site format and navigate my way around.
I still haven't found another site that I wanted to join, so I'll be an a2ker no matter what the site looks like. I can piss and moan all I want about finding it difficult to find stuff but I'm not the one who came up with this site, gave us all an opportunity to get to know each other, made me care about some of you, with Hamsters that work very very hard, have talent I am jealous of, and at quite some personal cost.

I am grateful to have any site where I can drop by now and again and see what my online pals are up to.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:03 am
@Mame,
Yeah, but I miss some of the former users that stopped posting as a result of the changes.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:22 am
@CalamityJane,
Calamity- I am happy with the new site, although I miss the PMs and the ability to create a survey. They were fun. I love the swiftness of getting the post online after one edits. Overall I would have to say "thumbs up".
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:31 am
@Linkat,
I know this is terrible and I'll end up slapping my forehead in disgust that I could possibly forget THAT wonderful person, but... like who?

Most everyone I can think of who was gone for a while has come back (Merry Andrew, Setanta, etc.). Others who are still gone were gone way before the site changed (Lord Ellpus, etc.).
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 09:57 am
@Linkat,
Linkat wrote:

Yeah, but I miss some of the former users that stopped posting as a result of the changes.

I feel the same way, and that probably triggered my emotional outbreak here,
and looking at this thread and seeing that (without actually counting now)
at least half of the people responding, don't like the design, I am afraid that
more people will leave. A great number of users I like have even admitted to
posting far less now than before.
--------
Usually when I present a new change to the office, I sit down with the people,
present my plan and then I will ask for feedback, and mostly I don't look for
replies like "oh we love it and it will work etc. etc." I am looking for things that
can be changed for the better and make all our lives easier, and my ideas are
not always the best so I always love critic.
------
Sozobe, everyone likes different kind of people here at a2k, so it's not necessary to pinpoint out who has left and who we all miss.
Fact is, people have left here because of the changes, and I am afraid that more will do so, and strangely enough the ones I like to read less, are never among them (Murphy's Law) Laughing
alex240101

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:09 am
@CalamityJane,
Frienships should survive a website change.
Reyn

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:16 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:

There is something about the new design that makes it seem less "community friendly" than the old design. I myself am unable to define exactly what that "something" is.

In my opinion, when the Tag Index is in place, which Robert speaks about HERE, the old A2K will virtually be back. He has already mentioned that PMs are a priority and email updates, etc.

I don't see a problem, folks. This new version is a "work in progress". Let's be patient.
CalamityJane

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:16 am
@alex240101,
Apparently not! Well it's not what I call friendship, Alex, just a fondness and
kindred spirit you have with some, you don't have with others.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 10:17 am
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:

Please give me a simple YES or NO here.

Do you think the new a2k design is better manageable and more user friendly
than the old one?

Yes or NO please!

NO
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:16 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
wandeljw wrote:
There is something about the new design that makes it seem less "community friendly" than the old design. I myself am unable to define exactly what that "something" is.

In my opinion, when the Tag Index is in place, which Robert speaks about HERE, the old A2K will virtually be back. He has already mentioned that PMs are a priority and email updates, etc.

I don't see a problem, folks. This new version is a "work in progress". Let's be patient.

Well, Reyn, maybe I should have tried harder to describe what I am talking about.

There are a bunch of subtle differences between the old and new designs that made me feel less of a "community" atmosphere. Most of the differences are very small: posts on the old A2K had bigger avatars, a better description of the member (location, date joined, number of posts), no intimidating thumbs....

A bigger difference is that now, on some of my favorite threads, there may be a big ZERO next to the thread title. This is discouraging.

Reyn

Reply Fri 14 Nov, 2008 11:26 am
@wandeljw,
wandeljw wrote:
A bigger difference is that now, on some of my favorite threads, there may be a big ZERO next to the thread title. This is discouraging.

We agree on that point. That is my one sore point with the new version of the site. I do not like the voting feature, for sure. I would like to see collapsing of threads not effect voting, at the very least, as that is a very good feature, if we must have voting.

What is clear, as has been stated by Robert on several occasions, is that the old A2K design was destined for trouble, so a new one had to be found. Now, it's going to be a matter of tweaking it.
0 Replies