CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:31 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

CalamityJane wrote:
It slowly becomes an incestuous community here with very
few users.


Do you have information that I don't that shows atrophy instead of the growth I am measuring? I get just not liking something, but I don't get why claims like this are made out of thin air.


Not so much thin air as personal observation: there are approx. 50 users
who on a continuous basis write here at a2k. A number of regular users
have vanished, and new users are scars. You should be able to get a statistic
how many posts per day with the new set up vs. what used to be. I am sure
you as admin have insight in such features, no?
Linkat
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:34 pm
@Diest TKO,
I was going to mention that as well. Many of those that did not like the change - no longer use this site. I would have too, but I love the various characters we have here (ie because of the people). Once I got used to the tags, I kinda liked making my own up for fun (not for any functionable purpose).
0 Replies
 
CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:37 pm
@CalamityJane,
oops - scarce instead of scars, sorry!
0 Replies
 
Robert Gentel
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:43 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yeah I do, and they don't tend to match up to the reports of a2k's demise. When these arguments break out personal feelings get projected onto others and there's a healthy dose of overestimating how much others feel the same.

So if someone doesn't like the site, they claim all new users are off put as backup to the argument. Thing is, I haven't seen this.

For example, you say they are scarce. Well they are always scarce as regulars on the regulars threads but they are joining and posting at what I estimate to be growing rates (haven't dug out the data for this). The new site has been open a couple of months now, in the couple of months prior to the opening of the site what new members do you remember who became regulars?

It was pretty scarce back then too. New regulars are always going to be relatively scarce, the relationship between readers and writers has always been disproportionate in any medium.
wandeljw
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:46 pm
@CalamityJane,
There is something about the new design that makes it seem less "community friendly" than the old design. I myself am unable to define exactly what that "something" is.
Mame
 
  2  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:04 pm
@wandeljw,
I really like some of the new features and the new changes don't bother me at all. I can find what I want if I want it badly enough, but generally I don't bother; I just see what's up on New Topics and read those. My discontent is with the tenor and the lack of certain types of topics, not the system. And that's my issue, not any one else's.

Like everyone else, I'll be happy when we can PM again, but if you have emails for the people you want to talk to, that suffices.

Also, I don't care if there are significantly more or slightly more or no more new users. I like the people here that I've gotten to know, on board and in real life, and I don't need any new 'friends', so it's not a big deal to me if there aren't any newbies. I don't think we're going to atrophy as a group; I and my friends in real life haven't atrophied.

So, in summary, YES, I'm happy.
CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:06 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

Yeah I do, and they don't tend to match up to the reports of a2k's demise. When these arguments break out personal feelings get projected onto others and there's a healthy dose of overestimating how much others feel the same.


Robert, these arguments are always of personal feelings, what else?
I don't overestimate how others feel, I simply asked them, and my post in question before was how I - subjectively - perceive things.
0 Replies
 
hamburger
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:09 pm
@CalamityJane,
trying to inject some "levity" aka. frivolity (hope that's alright)

http://wildco.com/pctr/182B40.jpg
CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 06:11 pm
@hamburger,
Pretty good, hamburger Laughing
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 07:52 pm
@CalamityJane,
Yes, some did voice their point of view....most sensibly not using the silly constraint you attempted to put on answers.

There are large numbers of new people that I notice...perhaps because I am not determined to look for evidence of the site's demise by not seeing them.

How on earth do you see your poll as meaning anything unless a big enough sample of members answers?


You would also need to take a random sample to have any meaningful data, since a question like this is only going to attract people with an interest in new site/old site politics.

I think you just want to grumble...fine, grumble, but dressing your grumble up as a meaningful poll, and speaking of petitions and demands is, as I already said, nutso.
0 Replies
 
nimh
 
  3  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 09:44 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
Not so much thin air as personal observation: there are approx. 50 users
who on a continuous basis write here at a2k. A number of regular users
have vanished, and new users are scars.

You know, this thread came into being because you just asserted that "a great majority" of the users here dislike the new site and "90%" find it difficult to handle. I said, huh, those sound like numbers you pulled from thin air, I have a very different impression, but the only way to check is do a head count. Right?

OK, so sensibly enough, you did start a head count. And what turns out to be? There is no "great majority" feeling like you. I was wrong too, it seems, thinking it was a minority. In reality, as far as this very small, non-random sample of posters here can tell, likers and dislikers are balanced pretty evenly.

Now what would the take-away from that be? I would say: dont just make blanket statements about how many posters there are doing or thinking what, if right in this thread your last personal assessment about such matters turned out to be wildly off. Realise that we are all victim of our own projections, and that maybe it's wiser not to make strong assertions about the numbers involved on the basis of nothing but your personal impressions, coloured by your own feelings as they are.

Not the lesson you took from it, apparently. Just "50 users who on a continuous basis write here at a2k"? Man, I think I can list about 40 regular posters on the politics threads alone.
husker
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 09:51 pm
@nimh,
I do think there is a socialogical thing people lose it after the number is roughly above 100
0 Replies
 
2PacksAday
 
  5  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 09:51 pm
I liked the old site, I like the new site...I suppose I like the new site better, because it's what I got.

Site functionality, the "look"...user friendliness...eh, all take a distant back seat to you folks, your ideas, jokes, antidotes, stories, pure bullshit, creativity, expertise/experience.... of your various careers, as well as on life in general, your whims...your thoughts...logic...passion....the list goes on. From the bloodiest sleeved bleeding heart liberals to the rightest of the rightwing gun nuts, and all of those that fall between, I truly enjoy your presence here.

If I had to learn cuneiform...or tap out my posts on a rock with a chisel and mallet...I would do so.
ehBeth
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 09:56 pm
@2PacksAday,
You chiseler!

Wink
0 Replies
 
markr
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:12 pm
@CalamityJane,
No (but that was too short to be accepted, so you get this as well)
0 Replies
 
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:17 pm
@2PacksAday,
2PacksAday wrote:

I liked the old site, I like the new site...I suppose I like the new site better, because it's what I got.

Site functionality, the "look"...user friendliness...eh, all take a distant back seat to you folks, your ideas, jokes, antidotes, stories, pure bullshit, creativity, expertise/experience.... of your various careers, as well as on life in general, your whims...your thoughts...logic...passion....the list goes on. From the bloodiest sleeved bleeding heart liberals to the rightest of the rightwing gun nuts, and all of those that fall between, I truly enjoy your presence here.

If I had to learn cuneiform...or tap out my posts on a rock with a chisel and mallet...I would do so.



Only cos you like that sort of stuff.
2PacksAday
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:19 pm
@dlowan,
True...but I still meant it.
dlowan
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:24 pm
@2PacksAday,
Luddite!

Cuneiform IS cool, though. And wax tablets.
talk72000
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:44 pm
@CalamityJane,
I find that after commenting or replying there isn't any navigational arrow to get back to the section. Suppose one goes to 'politics' and chooses a topic say 'taxes'. At 'taxes' one can reply to another person but he/she is stuck on 'taxes' and on 'discussions'. I need to get back to 'politics' but must go back to 'able2know' and then to 'politics'. There is a feeling but being boxed in a maze.
OGIONIK
 
  1  
Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:46 pm
@talk72000,
no.

i liked the set forums. news, international, pets..

i dont like tags very much.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

Lola at the Coffee House - Question by Lola
JIM NABORS WAS GOY? - Question by farmerman
Adding Tags to Threads - Discussion by Brandon9000
LOST & MISPLACED A2K people. - Discussion by msolga
Merry Andrew - Discussion by edgarblythe
Spot the April Fools gag yet? - Discussion by Robert Gentel
Great New Look to A2K- Applause, Robert! - Discussion by Phoenix32890
New A2K feature requests. - Discussion by DrewDad
The great migration - Discussion by shewolfnm
 
  1. Forums
  2. » Head count
  3. » Page 5
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 11/26/2020 at 12:49:42