Ticomaya

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:09 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

ehBeth wrote:
Calamity Jane wrote:
Yes or NO please!

this was a bit leading wasn't it

Indeed I'd say that's voter fraud. I demand a recount!

(And I welcome this opportunity to annoy ehBeth with some good, old-A2K nested quotes.)

Ah, yes ... love the nested quotes, regardless of the iteration of the A2K platform.

That it might annoy ehBeth is merely an added bonus. Wink
ehBeth

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:11 am
@Ticomaya,
Evil or Very Mad

boyz are eViL !
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:19 am
@CalamityJane,
YES - and I'm looking forward to liking it even more with the future improvements.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:32 am
@Thomas,
:-)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 10:34 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Thomas wrote:

ehBeth wrote:
Calamity Jane wrote:
Yes or NO please!

this was a bit leading wasn't it

Indeed I'd say that's voter fraud. I demand a recount!

(And I welcome this opportunity to annoy ehBeth with some good, old-A2K nested quotes.)

Ah, yes ... love the nested quotes, regardless of the iteration of the A2K platform.

That it might annoy ehBeth is merely an added bonus. Wink

After the recount, a special nested election.
wandeljw

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:16 am
"Yes" would be my vote. (I think some of the posts on this thread have obscured the original question. The "yes" or "no" votes in those posts are unclear.)
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:22 am
I dunno, Wandel ... I think there's just been a few who said "yes ... but x or y about it does bother me". I could be wrong tho.

On my count, anyway, it's still as tight as Missouri:

Yes (better) - 17
No (worse) - 15
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:35 am
@nimh,
My answer to the question - do I enjoy the a2k moreso now than before -
No
and I'll tell you why- it's not nearly as interesting as it used to be (to me anyway).

And I'll tell you why I think that is - in an attempt to make this thread a viable one (solution oriented instead of just a who's with and who's against kind of thing).
I have no problem with maneuvering around the new site- even though I'm not a tech savvy person by any stretch of the imagination. So I don't think that should be very much of an issue.

But it just doesn't feel that there's as much of a sense a 'real' community anymore. And I think part of that is because it seems harder to find anything that seems to be happening in 'real' time than it used to be. There used to be more of a sense of immediacy (is that spelling correct- I ALSO really miss spell check - especially playing acronyms).

I don't know if this was an intentional by-product of the change or not- in an effort to make the community seem less clique-y and more cohesive, because I think that whole community thing can be a double-edged sword (or at least it was for me).
I never fit in the larger more mainstream community on a2k (and that's fine - I made my peace and found my little niches here and there), but I somehow did used to find it easier to enter into discussions with certain people that seemed interesting to me. That seems harder to achieve somehow these days. I don't know exactly why.

I liked playing acronyms, but I also liked talking about education and politics and morality and so on and so forth...and I used to be able to find several interesting 'discussions' to comment on just by clicking on 'at a glance'. I don't know why that doesn't seem to be the case with this new set up - but it certainly doesn't. I have to really search to find stuff now - I usually look at BBB's stuff or Miller's health articles- but even things that have promising titles in terms of sparking my interest often seem misleading- they just don't seem to deliver what they promise and seem much less efficacious in terms of time spent and rewards (in terms of learning anything new) gained.

But in a way - I can understand the thought that this less delineated format might be good for the community as a whole in that less cronism (I can't spell to save my life anymore - that's supposed to be 'crony-ism' how the hell do you spell that) would engender a happier, less fractured community as a whole. There certainly seems to be a lot less drama.

But I miss what used to be a much more cohesive original writing 'community'. And I do think that's one of the real losses in this change. It just doesn't seem that there's a reason to write here as much or often as it's unclear who would read it - or if there is anyone out there reading anything at all anymore.

I think the niches used to be more clearly defined and that was probably comforting for people. Now - if you're not at home with or feel a part of the one big 'community' - you're just kind of out there at sea bobbing along on your own. Which as I say, is fine for me- kind of - because I'm used to it - but it's certainly not as much fun as it used to be.
And I think if I were a newcomer - I'd give up pretty quickly- because it's so much harder to get a sense of the myriad posters' personalities- and that makes it harder to get a sense of the personality or differing hues and shadings of the community or forum as a whole.

These aren't criticisms - just observations. I'll continue to express what I have to express no matter what the format. (But I don't think I'll do very much writing here anymore - luckily I made some friends here whom I can send stuff to independently- I'm happy for that for myself - but I do miss reading other peoples' writing. That used to be one of my favorite things to do on this forum.

0 Replies

Tryagain

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 11:55 am
Good morning A2K; here are the scores from the Riddle players club:

Before I announce the result in reverse order, may I say on behalf of us all how much we appreciate the efforts of those who do so much for so many for so little in return.

Thank you for your time and the result from the jury is:

For: 1

Against: 9
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:12 pm
no.

T
K
O
Diest TKO

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 12:15 pm
@Diest TKO,
I might add that the numbers may be skewed by the fact that we have lost several posters who aren't here to vote "no."

I'd like to see a head count of new users ad why they chose this site over another discussion board.

T
K
O
dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 03:46 pm
@CalamityJane,
Oh crap.

Your Petition thing was just nutso.

Nobody is arguing that you making suggestions for change is going to be taken as hurtful, but what on earth do you think canvassing for a return to the old site is going to achieve?

Also, any numbers you get here will be meaningless, since large numbers of people (especially those not involved in constant discussions about the site) will either not see this, or not bother to post.
dlowan

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 03:47 pm
@ehBeth,
Indeed.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 03:58 pm
So long as I get to read posts by edgarblythe, I don't care what the format is.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:00 pm
@dlowan,
Perhaps you care to read the initial entrance post of mine where I asked
if people like the new design - yes or no! Apparently, there were enough people who did voice their point of view. Crap to you, quite satisfying to me.

Large number of people? There aren't any for quite some time in case you
haven't noticed. It slowly becomes an incestuous community here with very
few users.

hamburger

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:05 pm
@CalamityJane,
NO

(perhaps a definete "maybe")
but happy to wait for much improved (tighter) layout - more meat , less waste
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:07 pm
@CalamityJane,
CalamityJane wrote:
It slowly becomes an incestuous community here with very
few users.

Do you have information that I don't that shows atrophy instead of the growth I am measuring? I get just not liking something, but I don't get why claims like this are made out of thin air.
old europe

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:15 pm
Yes,

I like the new design. Also really like some of the new functions... the ignore function is great! On the other hand, I'm still really missing the search function.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 13 Nov, 2008 04:24 pm
@CalamityJane,
No.
0 Replies