Let GM go Bankrupt

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 10:52 am
@parados,
Quote:

I can't make you find reality george. You will have to do that on your own.

I wonder if there will be any admission of error coming?

Cycloptichorn
parados

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:10 am
@Cycloptichorn,
There seems to be this myth that GM never went into bankruptcy. It just isn't true.

GM filed for bankruptcy and a bankruptcy court approved the plan. The only difference between this and any other bankruptcy is the US government helped craft the plan approved by the court and provided much of the money to keep the company afloat. Any bankruptcy has to have a plan in place for the bankruptcy to go forward.
parados

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 11:37 am
@parados,

This argument that somehow the union got a sweet deal and the bondholders got screwed is complete nonsense.
Union - owed $20 billion - got 17.5% of the company
Bondholders - owed $27 billion - got all assets of old GM - 10% of new company and warrants for another 15%.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:06 pm
@parados,
Does liquidation motors have any value? I have read about how the stock was trading at nonesense valuations because there is little value in the company.
parados

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 03:59 pm
@hawkeye10,
You are confusing stock with the assets. The stock is worthless. The assets are now owned by the bondholders and not the stockholders.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:09 pm
@parados,
Quote:
You are confusing stock with the assets. The stock is worthless. The assets are now owned by the bondholders and not the stockholders
What assets? What I read is that most of the stuff that GM unloaded was unloaded for a reason, there are too many auto plants in America, and these are the ones that dont make the grade. 8 or 9 out of 10 that liquidation motors owns are going to be disassembled and sold for scrap, and for the next 10 or 20 years the land will revert to nature. Go take a tour of Flint or Detroit if you want to see what I am talking about, where you can see what happened to the last rounds of plants that did not make the grade. If you want to see a new auto plant go down to Mexico or Brazil.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
I should also add that analysis I saw sad that Liquidation Motors is over $1 Billion short what it needs to take down down the plants and deal with the toxic earth under them, that is after revenue from scrap is figured in.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 06:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I should also add that analysis I saw sad that Liquidation Motors is over $1 Billion short what it needs to take down down the plants and deal with the toxic earth under them, that is after revenue from scrap is figured in.

Can you tell us where you read that?

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 20 Jan, 2011 07:38 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Can you tell us where you read that?

this is not where I read it, but it does give the argument

Quote:
Before bankruptcy, GM estimated it had $1.9 billion in environmental issues and litigation liabilites. Motors Liquidation Co., though, has only about $1.2 billion to manage the entire wind-down of its affairs -- and as one might expect, attorneys handling the matter are expected to get a huge chunk of that. The figure to clean up sites in places like Buick City (pictured, before the buildings were demolished), Michigan and Massena, New York has been pegged at $530 million. However, the way it's looking, there won't be anywhere near that much money to get the job done.

The affected areas are afraid they will have to pay for the clean ups or simply let the land go unused. The problem with that: those local governments don't have the money. And they can't expect a developer to spend millions to clean up an old mess. If not Motors Liquidation or GM, civic representatives want the government to foot the bill since the current administration orchestrated the deal. No one knows how it will -- or won't -- be resolved, but the EPA has said that it's in touch with states and Motors Liquidation to "identify any environmental cleanup requirements that existed at the time of bankruptcy."

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/08/07/report-gm-gets-out-from-under-its-polluted-sites-scot-free/

The idea is that after litigation is factored in the plan is 1 billion short of needs, or almost 50%.....that this is going to be another announce pick from the taxpayers pocket at some point. That 1.2 Billion is a loan too, I dont know how it gets paid, or if it gets paid.
parados

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:16 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
What assets? What I read is that most of the stuff that GM unloaded was unloaded for a reason, there are too many auto plants in America, and these are the ones that dont make the grade. 8 or 9 out of 10 that liquidation motors owns are going to be disassembled and sold for scrap, and for the next 10 or 20 years the land will revert to nature.

What assets indeed? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:26 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Obviously he didn't read it in documents filed with the bankruptcy court or he would have seen this -

Quote:
MLC (Motors Liquidation Corporation) anticipates that the majority of the environmental remediation contemplated in the ERT (environmental remediation trust)
should be completed or well underway within five years, and that the ERT will have adequate
funding to complete further remediation activities (such as periodic site testing and
maintenance) for up to 100 years.

It's so much easier to just fear monger without any facts, isn't it hawkeye?
parados

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:50 am
@hawkeye10,
Let me adjust that for you hawkeye -
Quote:
The fear mongering idea is that after litigation is factored in the plan is 1 billion short of needs, or almost 50%.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 11:51 am
@parados,
It's pretty clear that this is the entire strategy for those who are against Obama and GM in this thread. They were banking on the whole thing failing, and now that it's clear that it isn't failing - and may even be working - they hate it, and will do anything they can to prove the opposite.

This is the result of personal investment in an ideological point overwhelming all common sense or historical perspective.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Nonsense. Many things were done well and in accordance with normal bankrupcy law in the bailout. The objections raised had focused mostly on the extraordinary steps the Administration took to protect the special interests of its chief constituent and source of politicaL funding - organized labor unions, in this case the UAW. Much effort has been put into dressing up this turd, but the fact that it was a blatant political payoff remains evident.

The overreach of labor unions, particularly those involving employees in local, state and Federal governments has become a central element in the crisis of public debt facing us all. It may well end up as an albatross around the necks of the Democrats in coming elections.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:08 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Nonsense. Many things were done well and in accordance with normal bankrupcy law in the bailout. The objections raised had focused mostly on the extraordinary steps the Administration took to protect the special interests of its chief constituent and source of politicaL funding - organized labor unions, in this case the UAW.

This is a 100% lie. The 'chief source of political funding' for Obama and teh Dems in the last election was not Labor Unions of any type; it was small donor American voters. There's plenty of data to back this up, and if you want, I'd be happy to present it for you.

Quote:
Much effort has been put into dressing up this turd, but the fact that it was a blatant political payoff remains evident.

No, it doesn't. This is only the opinion of one highly partisan person.

Quote:
The overreach of labor unions, particularly those involving employees in local, state and Federal governments has become a central element in the crisis of public debt facing us all. It may well end up as an albatross around the necks of the Democrats in coming elections.

What 'over-reach' of labor unions? They haven't done 1/10th the damage to our economy that the 'over-reach' of the Financial industry has. Not 1/20th. Yet never a single admonishing adjective coming from you regarding their actions.

It's not the Unions fault that States have consistently failed to adequately fund their pensions. At all. This is the fault of the administrations running the states- many of whom were Republican, before you go down that road.

Yaknow, I'm so ******* tired of your constant anti-union ranting. It's boring. I know how you feel. Why do you bother repeating your slurs in every single post? Why not just write, "PS, unions suck!" Think of the time it will save you!

You have not once responded to the point Parados raised, that you were perfectly incorrect regarding the Bondholders and their eventual payout. Are you going to do so? Or just kind of ignore it, the way you usually do with facts that don't meet the narrative you are trying to present?

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:11 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
This is a 100% lie. The 'chief source of political funding' for Obama was not Labor Unions of any type; it was small donor American voters. There's plenty of data to back this up, and if you want, I'd be happy to present it for you. Cycloptichorn
How many donations came from foreign sources, cyclops? Even from terrorist sources, such as Hamas?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:14 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:
This is a 100% lie. The 'chief source of political funding' for Obama was not Labor Unions of any type; it was small donor American voters. There's plenty of data to back this up, and if you want, I'd be happy to present it for you. Cycloptichorn
How many donations came from foreign sources, cyclops? Even from terrorist sources, such as Hamas?

Pull the other one, Okie, it's got bells on.

If you can't bring serious discussion to the thread, don't even bother opening your mouth, mkay? Because I have little time or patience for your bullshit these days.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:16 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
If you wish to discuss campaign donations seriously, I think illegal foreign donations are a serious matter, cyclops. You probably do not, because if its Obama, it doesn't matter to you.

I merely made a passing observation that was pertinent, but go ahead and argue with George. Sorry to interrupt.

P.S. this edit added:
By the way, is this chump change that the unions gave to Obama?
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/05/13/big_labors_investment_in_obama_pays_off_96469.html

""We spent a fortune to elect Barack Obama -- $60.7 million to be exact -- and we're proud of it," boasted Andy Stern, president of the Service Employees International Union, to the Las Vegas Sun this week."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:22 pm
@okie,
okie wrote:

If you wish to discuss campaign donations seriously, I think illegal foreign donations are a serious matter, cyclops. You probably do not, because if its Obama, it doesn't matter to you.

I merely made a passing observation that was pertinent, but go ahead and argue with George. Sorry to interrupt.

It's not pertinent, because it's based on lies and slander from right-wing websites and pundits. It's a long-standing trope that you are repeating instead of focusing on the topic: GM.

Quote:
P.S. this edit added:
By the way, is this chump change that the unions gave to Obama?
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2009/05/13/big_labors_investment_in_obama_pays_off_96469.html

""We spent a fortune to elect Barack Obama -- $60.7 million to be exact -- and we're proud of it," boasted Andy Stern, president of the Service Employees International Union, to the Las Vegas Sun this week."

Obama raised over 670 million dollars in donations in 2008. So yeah; that amount you posted was 1/10th of the amount he raised. Chump change.

I'm begging you to look facts like this up before posting, Okie. Please.

Cycloptichorn
okie

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 12:34 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:
I'm begging you to look facts like this up before posting, Okie. Please.
Cycloptichorn
Beg all you want. I could not care less about your slanted facts, also known as "spin."