Let GM go Bankrupt

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:20 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

I think the answer is that the government should not routinely bend the rules it establishes in the law for its own perceived good or that of its key political supporters. That is generally called corruption. GM could have been saved in a routine bankrupcy filing just as have many large companies - Continental airlines (and others) included.

You keep saying this, but I keep pointing out that this is just an assertion. The situation wasn't anywhere near as cut-and-dry as you propose, because we were in the midst of a giant, liquidity-sucking financial crisis at the time.

You will have to provide a much more persuasive argument that the bankruptcy process would have been normal. Who were the buyers lining up for a piece of GM? Who were the banks who would have loaned them the billions of dollars? Remember that we are talking about Oct. 2008-Spring 2009; the height of the financial crisis.

Quote:
There were winners and losers in the government managed quasi bankruptcy of GM. The UAW was a major winner and the bondholders were losers. Government should not be in the business of picking winners and losers in particular cases - particularly when the winners are the major contributors to the political party in power.

There are winners and losers in every affirmative action the government takes, whether we are talking about financial or social matters, domestic or international politics, war or peace. Your crass theories don't come close to explaining the complex situation. I should point out that it wasn't the Obama WH who bailed out GM in 2008 - twice - it was the Bush WH, who certainly was no friend of the UAW. Where's your explanation for why they did that? Your condemnation?

I've also never seen you respond to Parados' point that Bondholders are unsecured creditors under US law. They should have had no expectation of receiving any money at all, yet you consistently have claimed that they should have been the first paid out. Did you respond to that and I missed it?

Cycloptichorn
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
Who were the banks who would have loaned them the billions of dollars?
It is clear that there was not going to be any private financing at the time, the markets were frozen, but it is not clear that any was needed. Do you know different? If the Judge running GM had approved spending for employees, utilities, suppliers and dealer support only was GM going to need any money through the bankruptcy process? If the Court was going to run GM for years as we ran Conrail for years then at some point money would need to be found, but I dont think we needed any for the first year. It was not a reason to abort the bankruptcy process and take it from the courts and handing it over the the other two branches, with Obama in the lead.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:35 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Bankruptcy law does not provide protection for unpaid contributions to employee pension funds. In the case of GM this aspect of the law was defeated by the stock transfers and as a result moneys due to both securied and unsecured creditors and bondholders went instead to the UAW.

I don't dispute the liquidity question. The feds were needed for that at the time. However that didn't require the politically motivated bailout of the parasitic union that was complicit in the company's failure.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
Who were the banks who would have loaned them the billions of dollars?
It is clear that there was not going to be any private financing at the time, the markets were frozen, but it is not clear that any was needed.

What?!!?! This makes no sense at all. Companies don't have tens of billions of dollars of cash sitting around to buy up parts of other companies.

Quote:
Do you know different? If the Judge running GM had approved spending for employees, utilities, suppliers and dealer support only was GM going to need any money through the bankruptcy process? If the Court was going to run GM for years as we ran Conrail for years then at some point money would need to be found, but I dont think we needed any for the first year. It was not a reason to abort the bankruptcy process and take it from the courts and handing it over the the other two branches, with Obama in the lead.

I don't find a single thing about your argument to be compelling, mostly because you seem to be talking out your ass. You don't know what the actual costs of any of these things are or what GM's finances are. You're just anti-whatever is currently going on and willing to stretch your neck way out to defend your position.

What's really chapping your ass is the fact that it's now clear the Obama admin made the right choice. Just admit it.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:37 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Bankruptcy law does not provide protection for unpaid contributions to employee pension funds. In the case of GM this aspect of the law was defeated by the stock transfers and as a result moneys due to both securied and unsecured creditors and bondholders went instead to the UAW.

I don't dispute the liquidity question. The feds were needed for that at the time. However that didn't require the politically motivated bailout of the parasitic union that was complicit in the company's failure.

So, when these hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of UAW workers lost their jobs under the reorganization and lost all their (unfunded) pensions, who do you think was going to be on the tab for their unemployment and retirement, George? The rest of us.

If what the gov't did was as extra-legal as you claim, where are the court challenges? I sure don't see any.

The UAW is a poorly-ran organization, but they are no more responsible for the failure of GM than the management of the poorly-ran company. I never see a single word from you blaming the management for their failures, though; just a never-ending litany against unionized workers, who you seem to see as a form of scum in the pond of life.

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:44 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

[So, when these hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of UAW workers lost their jobs under the reorganization and lost all their (unfunded) pensions, who do you think was going to be on the tab for their unemployment and retirement, George? The rest of us.

Cycloptichorn

In the first place UAW membership is in the hundreds of thousands (and falling fast). In the second, they wouldn't have lost all their pensions. The unfunded liabilities would have fallen to a government backed entity that taxes pension plans precisely to provide this fiscal protection. Doing this in accordance with the law would have increased public and government awareness of the reality of pension liabilities. Evading the issue as they did was just another step towards the public employee unfunded pension liability disaster which still faces us all. This is just kicking the problem down the road. Not exactly in keeping with Obama's oft-repeated promises of higher standards.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:48 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Quote:
So, when these hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of UAW workers lost their jobs under the reorganization and lost all their (unfunded) pensions, who do you think was going to be on the tab for their unemployment and retirement, George? The rest of us.

UAW workers would have gotten less than 50 cents on the dollar of their promised pensions after default, and the pension plan did have assets that would have paid for some it it, how much I dont know. And had GM been operated by the bankruptcy court until a buyer was found only some of the employees would have been out of a job, how many more than ended up being out of a job we dont know, so your unemployment cost claim is pretty squishy.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:51 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

[So, when these hundreds of thousands - if not millions - of UAW workers lost their jobs under the reorganization and lost all their (unfunded) pensions, who do you think was going to be on the tab for their unemployment and retirement, George? The rest of us.

Cycloptichorn

In the first place UAW membership is in the hundreds of thousands (and falling fast). In the second, they wouldn't have lost all their pensions. The unfunded liabilities would have fallen to a government backed entity that taxes pension plans precisely to provide this fiscal protection. Doing this in accordance with the law would have increased public and government awareness of the reality of pension liabilities. Evading the issue as they did was just another step towards the public employee unfunded pension liability disaster which still faces us all. This is just kicking the problem down the road. Not exactly in keeping with Obama's oft-repeated promises of higher standards.

Woah - this doesn't have anything to do with 'public employee unfunded pensions.' These were PRIVATE employees whose pensions were unfunded. You transitioned between the two deftly, but that's not logical.

I would also point out that the Unions gave up a bunch of stuff during the bailout as well - something you never mention. They gave up their retiree HC benefits in large part and are prohibited from striking in the future over either wages or benefits (though not workplace conditions).

Not only that, but GM is working to actually fund those pensions. If they had been dissolved under bankruptcy, that sure wouldn't be happening.

You present such a lop-sided picture of the situation. Everything negative, everything sinister and callous, nothing positive. At all.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

UAW workers would have gotten less than 50 cents on the dollar of their promised pensions after default, and the pension plan did have assets that would have paid for some it it, how much I dont know. And had GM been operated by the bankruptcy court until a buyer was found only some of the employees would have been out of a job, how many more than ended up being out of a job we dont know, so your unemployment cost claim is pretty squishy.

Please. You have no clue how many would have lost a job and potentially it would have been a lot of them. And that's not even counting the subsidiary industries which depend on GM for their survival.

It's laughable that you claim my argument is 'squishy.' Your whole contention is entirely speculation - that things maybe would have gone better if they were done differently, and all the problems at the time, hell, we'll just pretend that they didn't exist.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:57 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

[Woah - this doesn't have anything to do with 'public employee unfunded pensions.' These were PRIVATE employees whose pensions were unfunded. You transitioned between the two deftly, but that's not logical.
Cycloptichorn

You are correct the laws governing private and public pensions are profoundly different. The connection I posited had to do, not with the specific procedure, but rather with with public and political awareness of a growing and very serious problem with respect to the funding of public pensions. The officers of corporations could be subject to criminal penalties for the accounting duplicity most states have engaged in to support the demands of their public employee union supporters.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 05:58 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Cycloptichorn wrote:

[Woah - this doesn't have anything to do with 'public employee unfunded pensions.' These were PRIVATE employees whose pensions were unfunded. You transitioned between the two deftly, but that's not logical.
Cycloptichorn

You are correct the laws governing private and public pensions are profoundly different. The connection I posited had to do, not with the specific procedure, but rather with with public and political awareness of a growing and very serious problem with respect to the funding of public pensions. The officers of corporations could be subject to criminal penalties for the accounting duplicity most states have engaged in to support the demands of their public employee union supporters.

Fine with me. But it has nothing to do with the topic.

Care to comment on this:

Quote:

I would also point out that the Unions gave up a bunch of stuff during the bailout as well - something you never mention. They gave up their retiree HC benefits in large part and are prohibited from striking in the future over either wages or benefits (though not workplace conditions).

Not only that, but GM is working to actually fund those pensions. If they had been dissolved under bankruptcy, that sure wouldn't be happening.

? Or are you just going to sort of ignore it, like you do most counter-evidence to your positions?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:09 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Not enough. I would like to see them give up their existence.

Right now they are struggling (with the Administration's help) through the NLRB to do away with both makority requirements and secret ballots in their organizing campaigns. They say they need this because the auto workers in Toyota, Nissan, and Volkswagen plants have repeatedly voted against their representation.

If you can't win by persuasion and majority rule, then buy enough politicians to use government to enable you bypass the wishes of the workers and get a government sanctioned monopoly control of employment in the industry. That is the strategy of organized labor in this country.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 06:17 pm
@georgeob1,
georgeob1 wrote:

Not enough. I would like to see them give up their existence.

Right now they are struggling (with the Administration's help) through the NLRB to do away with both makority requirements and secret ballots in their organizing campaigns. They say they need this because the auto workers in Toyota, Nissan, and Volkswagen plants have repeatedly voted against their representation.

And, how is this any different than business leaders who 'work with government' to pass laws (or keep regulations from being passed) allowing them to profit and thrive? It isn't. Yet you celebrate one and condemn the other.

Quote:
If you can't win by persuasion and majority rule, then buy enough politicians to use government to enable you bypass the wishes of the workers and get a government sanctioned monopoly control of employment in the industry. That is the strategy of organized labor in this country.

That is the strategy of pretty much every major industry in this country. Where the hell have you been living all this time?

Cycloptichorn
georgeob1

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 07:31 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
You miss the point. Businesses are effectively prevented from achieving even local monopolies. Labor Unions have and seek government-sanctioned monopolies on employment.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
Actually, I do pay attention. The new GM isn't much different from a GM that went through bankruptcy. A GM that went through bankruptcy would not have been able to shed 45 billion in debt that you claim will be exempted from taxes.

Let's look at it 2 ways.
1. GM goes into bankruptcy. They agree to keep all the pension moneys owed. They would be able to write it all off their taxes since it is still their debt.
2. GM goes into bankruptcy. They shed the pension debt. The government is forced to pay the moneys owed to the pension because they are the insurer of last resort.

Either way, there is no $45 billion that the government misses out on in revenue because GM either has the $30 billion write off OR the government has to provide $30 billion to the pension fund.

The only revenue the government is out is the roughly $16 billion in debt that GM is able to carry forward.

And you think I don't pay attention?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:23 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

There were wiunners and losers in the government managed quasi bankrupcy of GM. The UAW was a major winner and the bondholders were losers.

And how exactly were the bondholders losers?

If this went to bankruptcy, the courts (government) would have had to agree to any settlement in which the bondholders got pennies on the dollar. This is compared to the current settlement where the bondholders got pennies on the dollar. The difference is in a bankruptcy, without a buyer capable of coming up with the cash the bondholders would have got LESS. Banks weren't going to loan money to any buyer of GM.

If you think the bondholders would have received more than 15 cents on the dollar, (Bondholders value was about that with IPO) then tell us where the money would have come from in a traditional bankruptcy.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:34 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:

Actually, it does george. The unpaid contributions were part of an existing contract. The contract can be kept in place by a bankruptcy court as part of the plan.

Quote:
Bankruptcy judge blocks Mesaba Airlines from canceling union contracts

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/display/web/2006/05/18/mesaba/

The union contract can also be renegotiated as part of a bankruptcy.

In the case of GM the union contract was renegotiated in the government take over. Part of the renegotiation was the unions getting stock valued at less then the underfunded pensions. The unions gave up wage concessions for employees. You have no evidence that the union contract would have been any different after a bankruptcy than it is now.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:35 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The unfunded liabilities would have fallen to a government backed entity that taxes pension plans precisely to provide this fiscal protection.

Which undermines the argument that the government is losing revenue by GM keeping those pension plans on their books. The government was going to pay for them one way or the other.
georgeob1

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 09:53 pm
@parados,
As I indicated I don't believe the "government's benefit" was a valid reason for overturning applicable provisions of bankrupcy law, The UAW pension and health care funds became owners of the rescued company's stock - the bondholders did not.
parados

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 10:04 pm
@georgeob1,
Quote:
The UAW pension and health care funds became owners of the rescued company's stock - the bondholders did not.

Did you really just say that? Really?

Quote:

Curiously, unmentioned amid the overwhelming publicity surrounding the stock offering were the original unsecured GM bondholders. Our effort to explain their position follows:

According to the trustee, the bondholders who technically own all the assets of the old GM Corp. (Motors Liquidation Company) will receive 10% equity in the new GM along with warrants for an additional 15%.

The timing of this distribution of equity to unsecured bondholders is subject to the bankruptcy court process and will occur after a reorganization plan is submitted, accepted and implemented. It cannot be determined how long this will take, but three to six months seems to be a reasonable estimate.

Some bondholders have expressed disappointment in being unable to participate in the new stock offering, annoyed at being forced to wait for the conversion to stock and warrants.

I can't make you find reality george. You will have to do that on your own.