Let GM go Bankrupt

plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:48 pm
@H2O MAN,
He couldn't be more conservative. Jeez, you righties get what you want and then you kick the gift horse in the mouth.

This is the from an opinion piece . . . which many on the left agree with because no one . . . let me repeat . . . NO ONE EVER HAD THE COURAGE, INTELLIGENCE AND GOODWILL . . . to govern from the left . . . by Michael Brenner:

The unhappy conclusion is that we have in Obama a President who is what we used to call a moderate Republican before the species became extinct. Moreover, someone who is very much a man of his times - those times being the 1980s and 1990s. That means suspicions of government programs (last week Obama declared that New Deal thinking wasn't applicable to day's problems), a strong belief that we should always give private interests the benefit of the doubt, an assumption that the rich deserve their riches, and an insensitivity to the plight of salaried Americans (Obama's push for a Bipartisan Commission to recommend budget cutting measures to be voted 'up or down' by Congress clearly had Social Security in its sights). Abroad, Obama is ready to deploy military might in dubious causes defined by the country's hawkish defense establishment.

Which was published in the Huffington Post, 12 February 2010.

But, sluggo, it is an opinion . . . therefore, there is no proof.

I really wonder at some of you righties and how you disdain neutral sources of information and insist that all material come from the right. No wonder this country is in trouble and the economy is in the toilet.
roger

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:52 pm
@plainoldme,
Is there more than one Obama in national politics? Seriously, you seem to have confused him with someone else.

Read what you just said.
plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:54 pm
@roger,
You do know that part of that post is a quote, right?
okie

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 08:55 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

Which was published in the Huffington Post, 12 February 2010.

I really wonder at some of you righties and how you disdain neutral sources of information and insist that all material come from the right.

Drunk
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:18 pm
From Salon on MLK, Blacks and the economy:

With his popularity in decline, an exhausted, stressed and depressed Martin Luther King Jr. turned his attention to economic injustice. He reminded the country that his March on Washington five years earlier had not been for civil rights alone but "a campaign for jobs and income, because we felt that the economic question was the most crucial that black people and poor people, generally, were confronting." Now, King was building what he called the Poor People's Campaign to confront nationwide inequalities in jobs, pay and housing.

But he had to prove that he could still be an effective leader, and so he came to Memphis, in support of a strike by that city's African-American garbage men. Eleven hundred sanitation workers had walked off the job after two had died in a tragic accident, crushed by a garbage truck's compactor. The garbage men were fed up -- treated with contempt as they performed a filthy and unrewarding job, paid so badly that 40 percent of them were on welfare, called "boy" by white supervisors. Their picket signs were simple and eloquent: "I AM A MAN."

A few weeks into their strike, which had been met with opposition and violence, King arrived for meetings and addressed a rally. Ten days later, he returned to lead a march through the streets of Memphis that ended in smashed windows, gunshots and tear gas.

Upset by the violence, he came back to the city one more time to try to put things right. The night before his death, King made his famous "Mountaintop" speech, prophetically telling an audience, "Longevity has its place. But I'm not concerned about that now. I just want to do God's will. And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain. And I've looked over. And I've seen the Promised Land. I may not get there with you. But I want you to know tonight, that we, as a people, will get to the Promised Land!"

The next night he was dead. Twelve days later, the strike was settled, the garbage men's union was recognized and the city of Memphis begrudgingly agreed to increase their pay, at first by a dime an hour, and later, an extra nickel.

That paltry sum would also be prophetic. All these decades later, little has changed when it comes to economic equality. If anything, the recent economic meltdown and recession have made the injustice of poverty even more profound, especially in a society where the top percentile enjoys undreamed of prosperity.

Unemployment among African-Americans is nearly double that of whites, according to the National Urban League's latest State of Black America report. Black men and women in this country make 62 cents on the dollar earned by whites. Less than half of black and Hispanic families own homes and they are three times more likely to live below the poverty line.

The nonpartisan group United for a Fair Economy has issued a report that features Martin Luther King Jr. on the cover with the title "State of the Dream 2010: Drained." King's dream is in jeopardy, the report's authors write, "The Great Recession has pulled the plug on communities of color, draining jobs and homes at alarming rates while exacerbating persistent inequalities of wealth and income."

Nor will a recovery ameliorate the crisis. "A rising tide does not lift all boats," United for a Fair Economy's report goes on to say, "because the public policies, economic structures, and unwritten rules of racism form mountains and ridgelines, and hills and valleys that shape our economic landscape. As a result, a rising economic tide fills the rivers and reservoirs of some, while leaving others dry and parched."
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2010 09:40 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

You do know that part of that post is a quote, right?

You do know how to use the quote function, right? If you would only use it, you wouldn't have to ask. Not that I saw any quotation marks.
gungasnake

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 03:32 am
@plainoldme,
Quote:
The unhappy conclusion is that we have in Obama a President who is what we used to call a moderate Republican before the species became extinct....

In other words, you've suddenly awakened to the conclusion that Obama is too conservative your your tastes....

BWWAAAAAaaaaaahahahaaaa haaaaahaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....
okie

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 09:22 am
@gungasnake,
gungasnake wrote:
In other words, you've suddenly awakened to the conclusion that Obama is too conservative your your tastes....

A Marxist sympathizer that is too conservative for somebody? Now that says alot about that somebody, doesn't it!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 06:25 pm
@roger,
The quote is clearly indicated.
roger

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2010 06:51 pm
@plainoldme,
plainoldme wrote:

The quote is clearly indicated.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:44 am
Great news. GM only lost 4.3 billion in the last half of '09

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303720604575169750237298946.html?mod=djemalertNEWS

Quote:
GM Reports $4.3 Billion Loss

BY SHARON TERLEP
DETROIT"General Motors Co. on Wednesday posted a $4.3 billion loss for the second half of 2009, in the first official accounting of the auto maker's balance sheet since the company emerged from bankruptcy protection.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 09:46 am
@roger,
Haha, I can't tell if you're being ironic or not.

I will say though, that this is right in line with the other industries we bailed out - the banks lost comparable amounts of money.

Cycloptichorn
roger

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 11:42 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Then, you don't know me as well as I thought.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 7 Apr, 2010 08:00 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Crybabies all of them and yet they continue to seek more power and less supervision and all the righties support the lack of supervision. Good! Maybe if Christ decides to come back, he will take the left with him and leave the right to this messed up planet.
okie

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 06:12 am
@plainoldme,
General Motors Financial sleight of hand, not so surprising considering Obama is in charge: (Wouldn't it be nice if all businesses could pay loans off with TARP funds?)

http://everydayecon.wordpress.com/2010/04/22/did-gm-pay-back-its-loan-sort-of/

“It’s good news in that they’re reducing their debt,” Barofsky said of the accelerated GM payments, “but they’re doing it by taking other available TARP money.”

In other words, GM is taking money from the Wall Street Bailout " the TARP money " and using that to pay off their loans ahead of schedule.

“It sounds like it’s kind of like taking money out of one pocket and putting in the other,” said Carper, who got a nod of agreement from Barofsky.

“The way that payment is going to be made is by drawing down on an equity facility of other TARP money.”

Translated " they are using bailout funds from the feds to pay off their loans.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 24 Apr, 2010 09:31 pm
See Jacob Weisberg on Endangered Species: Responsible Republicans in 26 April 2010 edition of Newsweek.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 26 Apr, 2010 09:37 pm
This was so predictable, in fact does this constitute unfair business practices or fraudulant advertising and all kinds of things? The blame all falls directly in the lap of Obama. One thing sure, I won't be buying any GM products any time soon.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/04/26/lawmakers-accuse-gm-administration-misleading-public-loan-repayment/

"Lawmakers Accuse GM, Administration of Misleading Public Over Loan Repayment

FOXNews.com

A handful of lawmakers are accusing General Motors of misleading the public by continuing to claim as part of its advertising blitz that the auto giant has repaid its government loans "in full."
BillRM

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 01:55 am
@okie,
Quote:
One thing sure, I won't be buying any GM products any time soon.

I am sure that the Japanese will be happy to hear that.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 02:08 am
@okie,
Quote:
I won't be buying any GM products any time soon
What, the charade did not work with you?? There are something like 40%+ of the population who said in a study that they would not consider a Government Motors car on principle, this "repayment" of the loan was intended to end that problem.

GM's problem now is that a lot of you boys might be up on your current events enough to know that the scam is on....it might not help GM as much as they expected.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2010 03:29 am
@BillRM,
Or Ford.