Is it me, or is America a tad more racist than the rest of us?

aperson

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:17 pm
Now I know from the news and conversation and what's being said here that some people are not too happy about a black man being elected. Now, I'm not stereotyping, but to me it seems as if a sizable proportion of America, particularly in the south, is considerably racist. Correct me if I am wrong here.

Down here in New Zealand, we have no objections at all to Obama being elected (and trust me, it's a big thing here too - it's pretty much overshadowed our own elections). In fact, of every single person I have spoken to, no one at all cares that Obama is black. Most people are happy that the racial barrier has finally been broken.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying we are perfect - we have our fair share of racists, but the thing is that they are a very small minority group. And my anecdotal evidence obviously isn't reflective of the whole country, but it doesn't take a genius to work out that America is somewhat more racist than us.

Am I correct in what is being said here?

husker

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:26 pm
@aperson,
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3848/is_200306/ai_n9266371?tag=untagged
yitwail

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:32 pm
@husker,
maybe kiwi don't live in glass houses
0 Replies

roger

Mon 10 Nov, 2008 11:34 pm
@aperson,
aperson wrote:

Down here in New Zealand, we have no objections at all to Obama being elected (and trust me, it's a big thing here too - it's pretty much overshadowed our own elections). In fact, of every single person I have spoken to, no one at all cares that Obama is black. Most people are happy that the racial barrier has finally been broken.

I'm confused. No one there cares that Obama is black, and most people are happy that the racial barrier has finally been broken. How can you hold both thoughts in your collective head at the same time?
aperson

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:19 am
@roger,
Sorry, by "cares" I meant in a negative way. Ie no one opposes the fact that the President is black.
hingehead

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:29 am
@aperson,
It's you pakeha!

And Roger makes a good point.

Me, I'm an intellectual elitist (lefty liberal scum) - I'm just glad the next president is articulate
Deckland

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:30 am
@aperson,
I saw a speech by Obama and I was impressed. I think he was a good choice for president.
After reading your post aperson I wonder if the coloured people voted for Obama because McCainn was white.
Racism is a two edged sword you know.
aperson

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:43 am
@husker,
From what I read, this article seems only to deal with immigrants not gaining appropriate jobs. That is to do with the government's immigration and education policies, not societal prejudice. And if you are suggesting that employers discriminate against immigrants, I have no idea upon what that is based. Both my parents are immigrants from South Africa, and both quickly gained jobs in their respective careers when they arrived. We have a large number family friends who are also immigrants, all of whom had no trouble getting jobs. I attend a school where there are a considerable number of immigrants teaching, and I know that they often seek overseas for management employees. No average New Zealand employer in his or her right mind wouldn't employ a qualified and trained immigrant, or even choose a native over him or her. Also, I don't think many sources can give an unbiased assessment, because people almost always take sides (except for me, of course. Seriously, though, I am trying to be neutral).
0 Replies

aperson

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:47 am
@Deckland,
That's a good point, but I think there is a difference (albeit fine) between prejudice due to an assumption of inferiority, and supporting one's race in the goal of acheiving equality. One is racism, one is anti-racism.

Hmm, this could get tricky. Perhaps another thread is in order?
Deckland

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:16 am
@aperson,
aperson wrote:

That's a good point, but I think there is a difference (albeit fine) between prejudice due to an assumption of inferiority, and supporting one's race in the goal of acheiving equality. One is racism, one is anti-racism.

Hmm, this could get tricky. Perhaps another thread is in order?

I heard on tv or perhaps radio, where white people were being discriminated against by coloured people in a particular area. The reporter referred to it as racism in reverse. It was made to sound as though white people had the patent on racist views. Even your post suggests there is a difference (albeit fine).
I believe in equality for all regardless of race and certainly don't assume any race is inferior to another.
Anyway, thank you for your post, it was interesting.
Cheers,
Deckland.

0 Replies

dlowan

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:38 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

It's you pakeha!

And Roger makes a good point.

Me, I'm an intellectual elitist (lefty liberal scum) - I'm just glad the next president is articulate

What he said.
0 Replies

Lambchop

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:39 am
@aperson,
I don't mean any offense, but in spite of whatever racial problems that may exist here in the US, we now have a black president.

But I have yet to see any black prime ministers or presidents in Europe or New Zealand.
Ragman

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:43 am
@Lambchop,
hehe ..nice comeback
Wonder when a Maori will be elected Prime Minister of kiwis?
mysteryman

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 03:51 am
@Ragman,
I'll bet that happens before the Germans elect a Jewish person as their Head of State.
gungasnake

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 03:58 am
@aperson,
It's you.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 06:51 am
@aperson,
I don' t give a **** what color O-boy is, I cannot stand for any of his policies. I am 100% at odds with everything the man stands for, and I will fight him tooth and nail to make sure his 4-years are the worst of his life.
dagmaraka

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 07:09 am
@cjhsa,
good luck in the cjhsa vs. the Administration and the majority of the world battle.

for the main question, i don't think america is any more racist than most societies. perhaps more than some, but also certainly less then some others.
chai2

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 07:19 am
@mysteryman,
what ragman and mysteryman said.
0 Replies

engineer

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 07:22 am
@Deckland,
Deckland wrote:

I saw a speech by Obama and I was impressed. I think he was a good choice for president.
After reading your post aperson I wonder if the coloured people voted for Obama because McCainn was white.
Racism is a two edged sword you know.

Obama received 95% of the black vote compared to 90% for Democrats over the last several elections. Given the economy and the typical Republican "Southern strategy", this gain is not particularly big. It could be that people were voting for Obama based on race, but they would have voted Democrat regardless.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Tue 11 Nov, 2008 07:24 am
@dagmaraka,
dagmaraka wrote:

good luck in the cjhsa vs. the Administration and the majority of the world battle.

It's what AMERICANS do dag... you wouldn't understand, nor do you understand that AMERICANS don't give a **** what the "world" thinks.