Killing people is the best solution.

hingehead

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 12:35 am
@OGIONIK,
I'm waiting for the graph that maps Ferrari ownership against child mortality.

In Australia if we bought a Ferrari for every remote indigenous family we'd close the gap in no time!
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 05:23 am
@OCCOM BILL,
I'm sorry O'Bill, but it is you who is missing the point here. The whole purpose of the temperature/pirate graph (part of the original letter sent to the Kansas School Board on the first day of the FSMs universe) was to demonstrate that such "obvious correlations" are ridiculous without proven causation (as has been pointed out several times).

I don't believe for a second you are unaware of that, rather you seem to hoping to get your point through by force.

If you have honest scientific proof that the death penalty prevents serious crime, let's see it and discuss it like grown-ups.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 05:47 am
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

That is no answer at all. You ignore that the criminal in question either acts from passion, and is therefore giving no thought to consequences; or acts with criminal intent, and believes that he or she will not be apprehended.

You write:

Quote:
It seems logical that people are less likely to commit an act when they stand a good chance of being punished than when they do not, and that the more severe and probably the punishment, the more of a deterrent it is.

I am pointing out that logic does not govern crimes of passion. Further, i am pointing out that those who willfully act with criminal intent do not believe they will be apprehended--it would illogical to commit a criminal act in the belief that one will surely be apprehended.

If there is a lack of logic here, it is yours in not thinking this through sufficiently.

When there are terrible consequences for an action, some people will be deterred and some will not. Even a crime of passion takes some seconds, minutes, or hours to plan and execute, and during that time, some people will think about the fact that they would rather not be put to death by the state.
Helchcoostmer

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 05:52 am
@Eorl,
killing people is bad,I always think about right or wrong,if I did wrong too much(killing people is VERY VERY VERY bad),I'd go to 1134(hal),and that been an eternal life of evil happening to you.I'd rather go to heaven than killing people.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 05:57 am
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
Can you show a causal link? Without that, your graphs are meaningless.

Had I been trying to show a causal link, you would be correct. How's that shoe leather taste, dumbass?

Speaking of correlations, it does seem to me that liberals generally descend into immature use of insults much more quickly than conservatives.

Anyway, looking at your second graph, for instance, you are trying to show either that the murder rate is higher in death penalty states, or that there is no correlation. However, if one believes the logic you enunciated in refusing to accept OB's graph, since there may be many factors in the mix affecting the murder rate, not just the death penalty, you have failed to show either correlation or lack of correlation with that single factor. You are showing only the degree of correlation between murder rate and an undefined lump of factors - at least playing the devil's advocate with your logic.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 07:43 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
However, if one believes the logic you enunciated in refusing to accept OB's graph, since there may be many factors in the mix affecting the murder rate, not just the death penalty, you have failed to show either correlation or lack of correlation with that single factor.

That's precisely my point. There is not the clear correlation that O'Bill attempted to postulate.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 07:47 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
The correlation is obvious simply by looking at the graph, or you wouldn't be aware of it.

The correlation between temperature and pirates is obvious, too.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Because the correlation implies causation, you dolt.

No, Bill. Correlation does not imply causation. That's what it means when people say "correlation is not causation."
DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 08:03 am
@OCCOM BILL,
(Bill, using a bunch of smilies does not constitute an argument.)

Think about this again: You used the national murder rate, which includes murders in states that don't have the death penalty. You then graphed it next to the total number of executions, which only includes executions in states with the death penalty.

You seem to think you can bluster your way through this, but the fact is that your graph is absolute crap.

Go back and read my post, Bill. I linked to an entire page of discussions about whether the death penalty is a deterrant. (In case you missed it: Facts about deterrance and the death penalty.)

Here's another nice graph:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/murdrate-exec.gif

Or another:

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterbrut.gif

(I especially like the bit about homicides going up the month after an execution.)

Hey, wait! That's not the only study that showed that result:

Quote:
Research reported in Homicide Studies, Vol. 1, No.2, May 1997, indicates that executions may actually increase the number of murders, rather than deter murders. Prof. Ernie Thomson at Arizona State University reported a brutalizing effect from an execution in Arizona, consistent with the results of a similar study in Oklahoma.

How about what experts think?

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/deterpolice.gif
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:01 pm
@Eorl,
Eorl wrote:

I'm sorry O'Bill, but it is you who is missing the point here. The whole purpose of the temperature/pirate graph (part of the original letter sent to the Kansas School Board on the first day of the FSMs universe) was to demonstrate that such "obvious correlations" are ridiculous without proven causation (as has been pointed out several times).
This is simply untrue. Many people believe the death penalty serves as a deterrent. Divorce your mind from your predisposition for a moment and look at it from a purely analytical stand point:
Obviously, it is impossible prove causation... which is why I haven’t claimed to.
The next best available evidence is to examine what happens to the murder rate when the Death Penalty is not being used. Can you think of a better indirect measure than to see what happens to an identical control group with and without the Death Penalty factor?

I'll grant you the possibility exists that it is just coincidence. I did so in my opening remark. But how can you not see that it is a logical leap to simply assume it is coincidence for no reason other than the fact that it doesn't fit your predisposition? Neither you, nor DrewDad have provided an alternative theory for the factual phenomena illustrated in the graph. If the moratorium didn't influence the spike in the murder rates, and the resumption of State Executions didn't influence the corresponding drop; what did?

Like DrewDad, you are just assuming these figures are pure coincidence, like that idiotic pirate graph. This is absurd. The Death Penalty is a direct consequence of murder... so how can you even pretend its application is as unrelated as Pirates and Temperatures? To do so is the height of intellectual dishonesty. I understand why you would want to pretend something so ridiculous, but I don't understand how an intelligent person can make such an assumption without a competing explanation they find more compelling. Neither you, nor DrewDad, has provided any such thing. In fact; you have provided nothing but steadfast, head in the sand denial, apparently without even considering what other factors may have resulted in the factual numbers represented on the graph.
Watch:
True Statement: According to the Bureau of Justice; half of all incarcerated inmates were under the influence of drugs or alcohol at the time of their offense.
Hypothesis: People under the influence of drugs and alcohol show an increased likelihood of committing crime.
True Statement: It is possible that other factors (like a genetic predisposition for both a liking of drugs/alcohol and committing crime) are the real reason for this obvious correlation.
Conclusion: It is foolish to simply assume drugs/alcohol are completely unrelated, irrelevant, or "meaningless to crime, simply because the causation cannot be proven.

Would you really disagree? Would you try to dissuade people from believing the factual correlation between drug/alcohol use and crime is as unrelated as pirates and temperature? Do you really not see how ridiculous that is?

A scientific assessment of likelihood demands that you use the best available data to make an educated guess. There is nothing scientific about denying related facts, simply because they don’t fit your argument. That is intellectual dishonesty. Pretending murder, and the direct consequence of same, is as unrelated as pirates and sea temperature is, sorry, flat out idiotic. Divorce yourself from your predisposition for a moment and you'll see that as plain as day.

Perhaps when you've done that; you'll be able to formulate a reasonable alternative explanation that isn't vested 100% in "Sez me" denial.

Eorl wrote:
I don't believe for a second you are unaware of that, rather you seem to hoping to get your point through by force.
Nonsense. Correlations frequently provide the best available evidence, even when absent more substantial proof. For instance;
Lung cancer can strike anyone; but we know smokers tend to be at higher risk. We also know many smokers never develop lung cancer.
Diabetes can strike anyone; but we know fat people tend to be at higher risk. We also know many fat people never develop diabetes.
In neither case is there direct evidence that one causes the other; but it remains reasonable, and quite prudent indeed, to recognize the correlation and adjust one's behavior accordingly. Only a fool would insist that the correlation is meaningless unless and until "proof of causation" can be demonstrated.
No one in their right mind would make such a statement. Pointing out less pirates accompanied higher temperatures would be equally absurd when assessing these correlations. Why? Because all correlations that lack substantial proof of causation are not created equal.

Eorl wrote:
If you have honest scientific proof that the death penalty prevents serious crime, let's see it and discuss it like grown-ups.
Laughing I never claimed to have any such thing. What I provided was circumstantial evidence, not scientific proof. While it remains possible for you to provide more compelling evidence to the contrary; you haven't even attempted to do so.

On the other hand: Common sense tells us that dead men NEVER re-offend, and statistics tell us most crimes are committed by repeat offenders; so it should be impossible for you to even pretend it doesn't prevent some crime.

Again; it is reasonable to believe the sanctity of life is more compelling than every pro-Death Penalty argument... Perfectly reasonable. It is not reasonable to dismiss even circumstantial evidence just because it doesn't fit your ideal.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:13 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
However, if one believes the logic you enunciated in refusing to accept OB's graph, since there may be many factors in the mix affecting the murder rate, not just the death penalty, you have failed to show either correlation or lack of correlation with that single factor.

That's precisely my point. There is not the clear correlation that O'Bill attempted to postulate.
The Death Penalty is a direct consequence of murder… which many people believe provides a deterrent. This is ample reason to look for a correlation when the moratorium was in place, and having found one, provide it for analysis. The correlation itself is clear enough for a 5 year old, or even you, to see it, so why do you keep denying it? Will you please look up the definitions of correlation and causation for your own sake (and stop making a fool of yourself)?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:27 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
The correlation is obvious simply by looking at the graph, or you wouldn't be aware of it.

The correlation between temperature and pirates is obvious, too.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

No, Bill. Correlation does not imply causation. That's what it means when people say "correlation is not causation."
Rolling Eyes No, people say that because unlike you; they understand the definitions and therefore understand there is a greater evidence requirement to prove the latter. Correlation doesn’t necessarily imply causation: See your idiotic example. However, correlation frequently DOES imply (<- better look that word up too) causation, as in; smoking/cancer, fat/diabetes, drugs/crime, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseum.

You cannot prove a correlation irrelevant simply by providing an example of an irrelevant correlation.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:41 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

(Bill, using a bunch of smilies does not constitute an argument.)

Think about this again: You used the national murder rate, which includes murders in states that don't have the death penalty. You then graphed it next to the total number of executions, which only includes executions in states with the death penalty.
False. It shows the murder rates for the United States, and the Execution numbers for the United States. Same control group, because it is the most comprehensive data available. It is not perfect for a plethora of reasons, but it is certainly more compelling than comparing different states altogether. Apples to Apples Vs. Apples to Oranges.

Neither should influence your thoughts one iota anyway, if you really believe your idiotic contention that correlation is meaningless without proof of causation... because neither can meet that threshold. This is your intellectual dishonesty on display.

DrewDad wrote:
You seem to think you can bluster your way through this, but the fact is that your graph is absolute crap.
Laughing Sez you. PROVE IT. "Sez me" isn't proof... though it seems to be satisfactory to your choir. Rolling Eyes
DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:45 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Bill, I can only conclude that you are hopelessly confused.

OCCOM BILL wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Correlation doesn’t necessarily imply causation

You cannot simply announce "this correlation implies causation because I say it does."

The burden is on you to show show relevance. Which you have failed to do. You want to say "the numbers speak for themselves" but the fact is, your numbers are flawed, your reasoning is flawed, and your argument is DOA.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 01:50 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Sez you. PROVE IT. "Sez me" isn't proof... though it seems to be satisfactory to your choir.

Bill, "sez me" is the entire extent of your argument. You have not, despite your bluster, proven anything.

If you want to say, "I believe this" then no one can argue with that. If you want to say "this proves me right" then you need to provide hard evidence. You have not done so. Belief in your own infallibility does not constitute winning an argument.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:01 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Bill, I can only conclude that you are hopelessly confused.

OCCOM BILL wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Correlation doesn’t necessarily imply causation

You cannot simply announce "this correlation implies causation because I say it does."

The burden is on you to show show relevance. Which you have failed to do. You want to say "the numbers speak for themselves" but the fact is, your numbers are flawed, your reasoning is flawed, and your argument is DOA.
It takes a remarkable ignorance to pretend murder and the direct consequence of same is unrelated. How can you even posit something so ridiculous?

Hypothesis: Death penalty deters murder.
Supporting Facts used for circumstantial evidence: Murder rates increased when DP was suspended, and decreased when it resumed.
DrewDad: That's unrelated and meaningless. Sez him.
I provided circumstantial evidence: You denied it with a naked "Sez me."
If you think the numbers are flawed; prove it (They can be verified at the DOJ website, if anyone believes this fool's "Sez me").
DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:03 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OK, Bill. Prove me wrong. Please show me exactly how tightly the murder rate and the execution rate are co-related. What method are you using? Parametric, or non-paramentric? Weighted or non weighted? Perhaps you're on to something that none of the real statisticians that make this their life's work have been able to find.

Death and Deterrence Redux: Science, Law and Causal Reasoning on Capital Punishment

Quote:
In an article in the Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law, Dr. Jeffrey Fagan of Columbia University describes numerous serious errors in recent deterrence studies, including improper statistical analyses and missing data and variables that are necessary to give a full picture of the criminal justice system. Fagan writes, “There is no reliable, scientifically sound evidence that [shows that executions] can exert a deterrent effect…. These flaws and omissions in a body of scientific evidence render it unreliable as a basis for law or policy that generate life-and-death decisions. To accept it uncritically invites errors that have the most severe human costs.” Since the landmark Supreme Court decision in Furman v. Georgia in 1972, dozens of studies have been performed to determine whether future murderers are deterred by the death penalty. In the past five years, Fagan writes, a “new wave” of studies has emerged, claiming that each execution prevents 3-32 murders, depending on the study. Some of these studies tie pardons, commutations, exonerations, and even irrational murders of passion to increases in murder rates. While many of these studies have appeared in academic journals, they have been given an uncritical and favorable reception in leading newspapers. Fagan takes issue with this lack of serious and adequate peer review by fellow researchers. He analyzed this research and found that "this work fails the tests of rigorous replication and robustness analysis that are the hallmarks of good science."(4 Ohio State Journal of Criminal Law 255 (2006))
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:05 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
The Death Penalty: No Evidence for Deterrence

A reviewer wrote:
John Donnohue and Justin Wolfers examined recent statistical studies that claimed to show a deterrent effect from the death penalty. The authors conclude that the estimates claiming that the death penalty saves numerous lives "are simply not credible." In fact, the authors state that using the same data and proper methodology could lead to the exact opposite conclusion: that is, that the death penalty actually increases the number of murders. The authors state: "We show that with the most minor tweaking of the [research] instruments, one can get estimates ranging from 429 lives saved per execution to 86 lives lost. These numbers are outside the bounds of credibility." (The Economists' Voice, April 2006).
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:09 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
The Uses and Abuses of Empirical Evidence in the Death Penalty Debate

Quote:
Abstract:
Does the death penalty save lives? A surge of recent interest in this question has yielded a series of papers purporting to show robust and precise estimates of a substantial deterrent effect of capital punishment. We assess the various approaches that have been used in this literature, testing the robustness of these inferences. Specifically, we start by assessing the time series evidence, comparing the history of executions and homicides in the United States and Canada, and within the United States, between executing and non-executing states. We analyse the effects of the judicial experiments provided by the Furman and Gregg decisions and assess the relationship between execution and homicide rates in state panel data since 1934. We then revisit the existing instrumental variables approaches and assess two recent state-specific execution moratoria. In each case we find that previous inferences of large deterrent effects based upon specific samples, functional forms, control variables, comparison groups, or IV strategies are extremely fragile and even small changes in specifications yield dramatically different results. The fundamental difficulty is that the death penalty - at least as it has been implemented in the United States - is applied so rarely that the number of homicides that it can plausibly have caused or deterred cannot be reliably disentangled from the large year-to-year changes in the homicide rate caused by other factors. As such, short samples and particular specifications may yield large but spurious correlations. We conclude that existing estimates appear to reflect a small and unrepresentative sample of the estimates that arise from alternative approaches. Sampling from the broader universe of plausible approaches suggests not just 'reasonable doubt' about whether there is any deterrent effect of the death penalty, but profound uncertainty - even about its sign.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:10 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Sez you. PROVE IT. "Sez me" isn't proof... though it seems to be satisfactory to your choir.

Bill, "sez me" is the entire extent of your argument. You have not, despite your bluster, proven anything.
I didn't claim to be able to prove anything, moron. What I provided was relevant, circumstantial evidence. You denied it with NOTHING but a naked "Sez me". "I know you are, but what am I?" isn't going to help you prove something that just isn't so. I gave you facts, and I gave you a reliable source for same. YOU denied them with a naked "Sez me".

DrewDad wrote:
If you want to say, "I believe this" then no one can argue with that. If you want to say "this proves me right" then you need to provide hard evidence. You have not done so. Belief in your own infallibility does not constitute winning an argument.
More idiocy. I have never claimed "this proves me right" or anything to that effect, and have in fact reminded you of this simple fact repeatedly. This is pure intellectual dishonesty on your part.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 11 Nov, 2008 02:10 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Occom Bill: I see it in a graph!
Real statisticians: You're full of $#!7!