Killing people is the best solution.

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 08:03 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Dozens of people have been killed by murderers who’d previously been convicted of murder. Surely you’ll concede capital punishment makes recidivism pretty unlikely.

So does life without the possibility of parole, which is both cheaper in the long run, and offers the possibility of overturning wrongful convictions when new forensic techniques are developed.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Even so: Pretending that murderers don’t consider the Death Penalty worse than Life Sentences is an exercise in denial anyway.

Nobody has claimed this, so this is a strawman. We stated that there is no evidence that the death penalty deters murder more than the other commonly applied punishments.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Next consider the fact that many murderers are not beginner criminals. More than half of all people arrested in any given year are repeat offenders and some 20% of murderers are already on probation, parole, or out on bail at the time of their offense. Out of 1,408,337 violent crimes in this country last year, 16,929 were murders. But not one person was deterred? Laughing Are we really expected to believe that with the tens of millions violent crimes that have been committed since the Death Penalty’s reinstatement, that the odds against a would-be murderer being deterred by the Death Penalty is greater than 500,000 to 1 among would be murderers?

You're arguing for the possible benefit of the death penalty, but you're ignoring the risks associated with it.

One the one hand, if there is a deterring effect it is too small to be measured.

On the other hand, we can be pretty confident that some wrongfully-convicted prisoners are being put to death.

How many innocent people are you willing to kill, just on your faith that the death penalty deters murder?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 12:38 pm
@DrewDad,
Your points are pretty jumbled, so I'm going to separate them...
DrewDad wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Dozens of people have been killed by murderers who’d previously been convicted of murder. Surely you’ll concede capital punishment makes recidivism pretty unlikely.

So does life without the possibility of parole,
This is not true. Many repeat-murderers have killed again while serving their Life Sentences.

DrewDad wrote:
which is both cheaper in the long run,
I have several problems with this... because it isn't really a valid argument against the Death Penalty.
A. It assumes the system couldn't be streamlined to isolate and execute only those murderers whose guilt is overwhelmingly proven.
B. It assumes that the convictions of potentially innocent people serving Life Sentences shouldn't be examined with the same level of scrutiny. Is it really that much less tragic to lock an innocent man in a cage for the rest of his life?

No reasonable assessment can demonstrate that the actual cost of executing the condemned costs more than sustaining him for decades. The truth is quite the opposite, once you stop intentionally confounding the issue.

DrewDad wrote:
and offers the possibility of overturning wrongful convictions when new forensic techniques are developed.
Other than moral objections; this is the single best argument against the Death Penalty. I couldn’t agree more that the standard of evidence should be overwhelming to meet the eligibility requirements for the application of the Death Penalty. Some of those same forensic techniques can be used to essentially eliminate all doubt. I’ve said before that I think a jury of Military Officers would be ideal to act as a failsafe, with all but unanimous agreement resulting in the commuting of the sentence to Life without Parole.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Even so: Pretending that murderers don’t consider the Death Penalty worse than Life Sentences is an exercise in denial anyway.

Nobody has claimed this, so this is a strawman. We stated that there is no evidence that the death penalty deters murder more than the other commonly applied punishments.
It's not a Strawman, DrewDad. It is a foundation argument. Once a person reconciles the fact that most murderers fear the Death Penalty more than Life Sentences, it should be more difficult to pretend the existence of the inferred greater punishment can't provide a greater deterrent.

On a related note: Your proposed ceiling relies on an absolute (that EVERY would-be murderer reasons as you suggest) that couldn't reasonably be assumed to exist. This should be beyond obvious once you consider that many would-be murderers are already serving Life Sentences.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Next consider the fact that many murderers are not beginner criminals. More than half of all people arrested in any given year are repeat offenders and some 20% of murderers are already on probation, parole, or out on bail at the time of their offense. Out of 1,408,337 violent crimes in this country last year, 16,929 were murders. But not one person was deterred? Laughing Are we really expected to believe that with the tens of millions violent crimes that have been committed since the Death Penalty’s reinstatement, that the odds against a would-be murderer being deterred by the Death Penalty is greater than 500,000 to 1 among would be murderers?

You're arguing for the possible benefit of the death penalty, but you're ignoring the risks associated with it.

One the one hand, if there is a deterring effect it is too small to be measured.
One could argue that the ability to measure it is largely immaterial; watch: Is the preservation of ONE innocent life significant?

DrewDad wrote:
On the other hand, we can be pretty confident that some wrongfully-convicted prisoners are being put to death.
You ignore the easily demonstrated truth that repeat murderers wrongfully kill more innocent people than the State ever has.

A better comparison would be how many wrongfully convicted prisoners are put to death compared to how many people are killed by previously convicted murderers? Is less wrongful death not important or a reasonable goal? I think it is precisely the goal.

DrewDad wrote:
How many innocent people are you willing to kill, just on your faith that the death penalty deters murder?
Not too many, based on that consideration alone, because the deterrent effect is so difficult to measure. But the answer is simple-> LESS than rightfully convicted murderers would kill in the absence of the Death Penalty.

The truth is: Deterrent is less compelling to me than the reduction of recidivism. Both benefits are irrevocably married together in this equation, so it is silly to separate them for the purpose of argument.

The answer is the same: Since it is impossible to be 100% sure that the State will never make mistake, just as it is impossible for any combination of deterrent and recidivism-prevention to be 100% effective at preventing future murders; I weigh the likelihood and favor the option that suggests less innocent people will be killed.

The simple truth is: repeat murderers kill more people than the State ever has with capital punishment. When it comes to measuring the effectiveness of punishments for wrongful killing; less wrongful killing = better.
okie

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:38 pm
@OGIONIK,
OGIONIK wrote:

attention: when someone is desperate and commits a crime leading to a possible sentence of death, guess what, they get more violent and desperate.

the problem with society and crime is that, society forces crime to exist.period.

get real, get the big picture.

So society forces crime to exist? And the more punishment that is in store, the more likely the criminal is to be more violent? I guess just fine them a dollar, or don't fine them at all or do anything to them at all? Crime should then go down. Uh, you sound like a liberal.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:46 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Many repeat-murderers have killed again while serving their Life Sentences.

I'd say that's an argument for better a better penal system in general, not a argument for the death penalty.

One could make the recidivism rate for all crime zero, just by imposing the death penalty for all crimes.

The death penalty is not designed to prevent recidivism, IMO. Nor should it be.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
No reasonable assessment can demonstrate that the actual cost of executing the condemned costs more than sustaining him for decades. The truth is quite the opposite, once you stop intentionally confounding the issue.

You're the one either being pedantic or trying to confound the issue with additional costs. Clearly, I was discussing direct costs to the government.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I couldn’t agree more that the standard of evidence should be overwhelming to meet the eligibility requirements for the application of the Death Penalty. Some of those same forensic techniques can be used to essentially eliminate all doubt. I’ve said before that I think a jury of Military Officers would be ideal to act as a failsafe, with all but unanimous agreement resulting in the commuting of the sentence to Life without Parole.

So you're actually in favor of overhauling the court system, not just the death penalty?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
It's not a Strawman, DrewDad. It is a foundation argument. Once a person reconciles the fact that most murderers fear the Death Penalty more than Life Sentences, it should be more difficult to pretend the existence of the inferred greater punishment can't provide a greater deterrent.

Except we have actual data, rather than supposition, on which to base our decision. The actual data indicates that there is a ceiling effect, and that increasing the severity of the punishment past a certain level does not, in fact, improve deterrence.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
On a related note: Your proposed ceiling relies on an absolute (that EVERY would-be murderer reasons as you suggest) that couldn't reasonably be assumed to exist. This should be beyond obvious once you consider that many would-be murderers are already serving Life Sentences.

Er... what? We're describing the behavior of a population (potential murderers). All members of the population do not have to reason identically for us to be able to chart the behavior.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Is the preservation of ONE innocent life significant?

That's my point exactly. The preservation of the life of someone who is not guilty of the crime is just as important as preserving the life of a potential murder victim.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
A better comparison would be how many wrongfully convicted prisoners are put to death compared to how many people are killed by previously convicted murderers? Is less wrongful death not important or a reasonable goal? I think it is precisely the goal.

Why don't you put those numbers together for us, Bill?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Not too many, based on that consideration alone, because the deterrent effect is so difficult to measure. But the answer is simple-> LESS than rightfully convicted murderers would kill in the absence of the Death Penalty.

Again, why don't you put those numbers together for us?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
The truth is: Deterrent is less compelling to me than the reduction of recidivism. Both benefits are irrevocably married together in this equation, so it is silly to separate them for the purpose of argument.

The answer is the same: Since it is impossible to be 100% sure that the State will never make mistake, just as it is impossible for any combination of deterrent and recidivism-prevention to be 100% effective at preventing future murders; I weigh the likelihood and favor the option that suggests less innocent people will be killed.

Now, I'm not a law expert, but where does it say we preemptively punish people because we think they might murder again?

OCCOM BILL wrote:
The simple truth is: repeat murderers kill more people than the State ever has with capital punishment. When it comes to measuring the effectiveness of punishments for wrongful killing; less wrongful killing = better.

And exactly how do you know that, Bill? That's a pretty firm statement; I assume you have some data to back it up.

I would assume you're talking about murders by convicted murderers, though.

I'm interested in how you're going to calculate the number of innocent people who have been victims of the death penalty....
okie

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:48 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Okie, do you have a point? Your argument here does not seem to support the death penalty. If "swift and sure" is your goal, then you should want to avoid the death penalty, and all of the automatic appeals that go with it.

Sure I have a point, did you read my posts? The point is that the death penalty surely has some deterrence to crime, but it is difficult to quantify because of the fact that the swiftness and sureness of the justice system is so watered down through endless appeals, etc.

Personally I believe in the death penalty, but it should be used only for the most serious offenders, possibly repeat offenders. I believe the deterrence factor could be enhanced for all forms of crimes by speeding up the process somewhat and remove some of the foot dragging and appeals process. I am in favor of reasonable appeals, etc. but I think it has gotten out of hand.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 01:50 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I'll note at this point that your argument in favor of the death penalty has segued from "deterrence" to "preventing recidivism".

IMO, using the death penalty to prevent recidivism amounts to preemptive punishment. How can you punish someone for a crime which they have not yet committed?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 18 Nov, 2008 05:37 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Many repeat-murderers have killed again while serving their Life Sentences.

I'd say that's an argument for better a better penal system in general, not a argument for the death penalty.

One could make the recidivism rate for all crime zero, just by imposing the death penalty for all crimes.

The death penalty is not designed to prevent recidivism, IMO. Nor should it be.
Laughing All competent Judges contemplate the likelihood of recidivism into their sentencing. Your baseless denial means nothing, and the Laws of our land disagree with you... for good, obvious, reason.
You can satisfy your pedantic need for support for the obvious here.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

You're the one either being pedantic or trying to confound the issue with additional costs. Clearly, I was discussing direct costs to the government.
Total bullshit. You are dishonestly including the cost of due process into the cost of punishment. The actual cost of punishment has nothing to do with the due process costs. (You know this and it's the reason you ducked the question about whether cases where innocent people are serving life sentences deserve less scrutiny.)

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I couldn’t agree more that the standard of evidence should be overwhelming to meet the eligibility requirements for the application of the Death Penalty. Some of those same forensic techniques can be used to essentially eliminate all doubt. I’ve said before that I think a jury of Military Officers would be ideal to act as a failsafe, with all but unanimous agreement resulting in the commuting of the sentence to Life without Parole.

So you're actually in favor of overhauling the court system, not just the death penalty?
Yes, and I've said so many times. I believe the system can be improved.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Except we have actual data, rather than supposition, on which to base our decision. The actual data indicates that there is a ceiling effect, and that increasing the severity of the punishment past a certain level does not, in fact, improve deterrence.
Total bullshit again. Prove it.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Er... what? We're describing the behavior of a population (potential murderers). All members of the population do not have to reason identically for us to be able to chart the behavior.
According to your unproven ceiling theory; every single would-be murderer would have to behave absent any consideration of the difference of severity. This claim is as ridiculous as it is unproven.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Is the preservation of ONE innocent life significant?

That's my point exactly. The preservation of the life of someone who is not guilty of the crime is just as important as preserving the life of a potential murder victim.
This is reflected by my position, not yours. You have gone out of your way to ignore the fact that some murderers kill more people AND you've provided ridiculous "Sez me" analysis in an attempt to deny even the possibility of a deterrent effect. Further: Convicted Murderers kill more people than anyone has even suggested the State has. Your position has dogmatically denied every possibility that the Death Penalty might save an innocent's life, at times even resorting to evidence that shares the very flaws you whimper about when it doesn't fit your predisposition. Mine, on the other hand, weighs one against the other.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Why don't you put those numbers together for us, Bill?
Here: This page shows dozens of examples of convicted murderers killing again. Meanwhile I couldn't find a single source that claims we've executed a like number of innocent people.

This page shows a short list of suspected wrongful executions. I found no page with Amnesty International USA or the ACLU that was even this comprehensive in their suspicion. Do you know of better evidence?

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Again, why don't you put those numbers together for us?
See above.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Now, I'm not a law expert, but where does it say we preemptively punish people because we think they might murder again?
The Federal Sentencing Guidelines from the United States Sentencing Commission. It is silly to pretend the likelihood of reoffending isn't or shouldn't be taken into account at the time of sentencing, especially for violent criminals. The purpose of having criminal justice system is to protect citizens from criminals, and the perceived threat of recidivism is an integral, necessary component in doing so.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

And exactly how do you know that, Bill? That's a pretty firm statement; I assume you have some data to back it up.

I would assume you're talking about murders by convicted murderers, though.

I'm interested in how you're going to calculate the number of innocent people who have been victims of the death penalty....
I provided a short list of suspected wrongful executions above, along with a MUCH longer list of examples of repeat murder.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:25 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Deterrence:

There is no reliable evidence that the death penalty deters more criminals than other commonly applied punishments.

This kinda impeaches all of your arguments about how the death penalty is keeping people from getting killed.

You keep saying how "there must be an additional deterrent effect", but the facts argue against you. (I've posted multiple links regarding this; I do not intend to go dig them up again just so you can ignore them again.)

Costs:

I do include the costs of all those appeals in the cost of the death penalty. That's because the appeals are triggered by the selected punishment, and not on the merit of the appeals themselves.

Recidivism:

You are correct that "continuing threat to society" is considered during capital cases, at least in Texas. Personally, I disagree with this policy, as I find it too speculative.

Ceiling Effect:

A ceiling effect in statistics is when the measurement device does not give a large enough range. This would be like an IQ test that only went to 130. A ceiling effect in pharmaceuticals is when you get diminishing returns as you apply a drug, and higher and higher doses produce less and less effect. It is this second type of ceiling effect I was postulating with respect to the death penalty. It is my own theory; it makes sense to me.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
I provided a short list of suspected wrongful executions above, along with a MUCH longer list of examples of repeat murder.

So? How many of these murders were done by folks who would otherwise have been executed? You seem to have a habit of tossing around numbers to support your position, regardless of whether they mean what you say they do.

My suggestion is to replace the death penalty with life without the possibility of parole. This hardly lets prisoners back out on the street to kill again.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 08:29 am
@OCCOM BILL,
On a personal note, I'm about done discussing this with you due to your continued rudeness.

You're style seems to be oppositional rather than a discussion; I'm not here to win, I'm here to talk.

I'm sure you're a lovely person; have a nice day.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 12:13 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Deterrence:

There is no reliable evidence that the death penalty deters more criminals than other commonly applied punishments.

This kinda impeaches all of your arguments about how the death penalty is keeping people from getting killed.

You keep saying how "there must be an additional deterrent effect", but the facts argue against you. (I've posted multiple links regarding this; I do not intend to go dig them up again just so you can ignore them again.)
Laughing Your "Sez me" impeaches nothing, let alone your non sequitur about a lack of available proof of deterrent, somehow proves the death penalty is not keeping people from getting killed (which would include deterrence AND recidivism prevention). On deterrence you rely on the fallacious believe that absence of prove is proof of absence... yet don't hold your own evidence to the same standard. Same goes for your ceiling theory (demoted from fact after it was exposed). And comically; you think your hypocrisy isn't obvious.

DrewDad wrote:

Costs:

I do include the costs of all those appeals in the cost of the death penalty. That's because the appeals are triggered by the selected punishment, and not on the merit of the appeals themselves.
Yes, I know that. The simple fact of the matter is, however: Carrying out a Death Sentence costs a fraction of the cost of carrying out a Life Sentence.

Therefore; people who don’t want to admit this simple truth are forced to confound the issue with the cost of due process. Interesting how these same people consistently ignore questions about whether cases where Innocent people may be sentenced to Life Imprisonment should receive less scrutiny. This selective hearing is intellectually dishonest, at best.

In an honest comparison; only those Life Sentences that were contested with the same zeal and frequency as your average Death Sentence should be compared.

Among the strongest arguments against the Death Penalty (IMO) is that it eliminates the opportunity to correct errors. Yet somehow, the same Death Penalty opponents who wish to add cost analysis to their arguments consistently ignore the inequity of due process available to the potential Innocent persons sentenced to Life in prison.

One cannot reasonably argue his or her Death Penalty concern is to correct errors, while also arguing that it’s cheaper because we take fewer precautions to correct errors. That is huge contradiction.

DrewDad wrote:

Recidivism:

You are correct that "continuing threat to society" is considered during capital cases, at least in Texas. Personally, I disagree with this policy, as I find it too speculative.
Your disagreement, though exceedingly naïve, is reasonable enough. Your forceful denial of the common sense truth was not.

DrewDad wrote:

Ceiling Effect:

A ceiling effect in statistics is when the measurement device does not give a large enough range. This would be like an IQ test that only went to 130. A ceiling effect in pharmaceuticals is when you get diminishing returns as you apply a drug, and higher and higher doses produce less and less effect. It is this second type of ceiling effect I was postulating with respect to the death penalty. It is my own theory; it makes sense to me.
Laughing I understood your ceiling theory when you first wrote it, and to an extent I agree that many people would be equally deterred beyond a certain threshold (myself, for instance). This doesn’t mean ALL people, however, as you attempted to imply by stating your theory as if it were an observed fact, and even suggesting it could be charted.

"It makes sense to me" is reasonable enough, just as believing the threat of death acts as a deterrent is reasonable enough. Unreasonable, is your consistent insistence on holding only opposing theories to higher standards.

DrewDad wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

So? How many of these murders were done by folks who would otherwise have been executed? You seem to have a habit of tossing around numbers to support your position, regardless of whether they mean what you say they do.
Total bullshit. I didn’t toss around numbers, I provided a comprehensive list, that you didn’t even bother to look at, or you wouldn’t have written such a ridiculous response. Here is a sprinkling that meet your every criteria...
12/4/01 - Alabama
Quote:
Cuhuatemoc Hinricky Peraita- Triple killer serving life without parole kills another inmate; finally gets death sentence

Quote:
Robert Massie- In 1965, he was convicted of murdering a San Gabriel woman and sentenced to death. But his death sentence was commuted after the U.S. Supreme Court struck down California's death penalty laws. Because of lenient parole laws at the time, he was paroled in 1978, a year before he killed Naumoff.

Quote:
Bennie Demps- Originally, Demps was sent to death row for the murders of R.N. Brinkworth and Celia Puhlick, who were fatally shot in a Lake County citrus grove. The victims were inspecting some land for sale when they happened upon Demps, who had fled to the grove with a stolen safe. Mrs. Puhlick's husband, Nicholas, was wounded. A year after Demps was sent to death row, the U.S. Supreme Court threw out capital punishment across the country, ruling death sentences had been imposed in an arbitrary way. Demps and 96 other death row inmates were taken off Florida's death row and returned to the general prison population. In July 1976, the nation's high court upheld Florida's new capital punishment law. And two months later, Alfred Sturgis was fatally stabbed in his prison cell. Before he died, Sturgis told a guard that Demps and another inmate had held him down while a third stabbed him. Demps was sentenced to death in 1978. Since his second death sentence, Demps has survived three death warrants - in 1982, 1987 and 1990 - by winning last-minute appeals.

DrewDad wrote:
My suggestion is to replace the death penalty with life without the possibility of parole. This hardly lets prisoners back out on the street to kill again.
Your suggestion has been proven less effective, as evidenced by repeat murderers. Dead murderers don’t kill more people.

Btw, this is bullshit as well:
DrewDad wrote:
I'll note at this point that your argument in favor of the death penalty has segued from "deterrence" to "preventing recidivism".
I made it clear that I found the prevention of recidivism most compelling from my second post on this thread. Don’t impugn me with your own inability to keep up.

DrewDad wrote:

On a personal note, I'm about done discussing this with you due to your continued rudeness.
Laughing Says the A-hole who was first on the thread to hurl an unqualified insult ("dumbass" at Brandon) for doing nothing more than pointing out your own hypocrisy. You lowered the level of discourse yourself, you've given as much as you've gotten, and now you want to cry foul? I assure you I wouldn't miss your idiotic dogmatic denial (especially after Robert and I have thoroughly demonstrated your most absurd denial).
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:08 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Bill, you are the one making a positive claim (e.g. the death penalty is a more effective deterrent). The burden is on you to demonstrate your claim.

I've said you can't prove it, and that absent evidence that it actually does something, that it makes no sense to keep using it. Would you take a $500 dollar medication that can't be shown to be any better than a $250 medication? I doubt it.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 01:10 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Dead murderers don’t kill more people.

Good lord. I think you actually believe this makes sense as an argument.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:16 pm
@DrewDad,

DrewDad wrote:

Bill, you are the one making a positive claim (e.g. the death penalty is a more effective deterrent). The burden is on you to demonstrate your claim.
More dishonesty on your part. My opining post allowed for opinions that there is OR isn't a deterrent effect. YOU have insisted that your opinion is fact... which is of course your burden to prove. But you can't; so you burden-shift, bob and weave, while pretending your nonsense hasn't been exposed.

DrewDad wrote:
I've said you can't prove it, and that absent evidence that it actually does something, that it makes no sense to keep using it. Would you take a $500 dollar medication that can't be shown to be any better than a $250 medication? I doubt it.
Just going to pretend that deterrence alone is the only consideration, eh? Have you always had this much trouble being honest when your faulty arguments are exposed? You're pathetic.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 02:17 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

Shocked Only a ******* idiot would fail to see the obvious truth in that sentence. You really are pathetic.
okie

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 03:15 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

DrewDad wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:

Shocked Only a ******* idiot would fail to see the obvious truth in that sentence. You really are pathetic.

I find myself agreeing with you wholeheartedly. You sometimes display an uncanny ability to have common sense sometimes, Bill. Dead axe murderers do not axe more people to death.

I think sometimes that intellectualism leads to stupidity, and that is one reason I chose the name, okie, here, because I figured all the intellectuals would demonize me immediately here because they despise simple common sense.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:46 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Only a ******* idiot

And you call me pathetic? I think we all know who the bullshitter is, here.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:52 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Only a ******* idiot

And you call me pathetic? I think we all know who the bullshitter is, here.
Yep. The moron who can't even admit dead men don't reoffend. Pathetic.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 05:58 pm
Absent any data that the death penalty actually increases deterrence in any meaningful way, and in spite of anecdotal listings of, say, acquitted individuals who end up being convicted of later murders, I'd say the evidence still points to the death penalty being pretty worthless for anything other than vengence.
okie

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:06 pm
@DrewDad,
Drewdad, is giving a person a speeding ticket in a school zone vengeance, or is it protecting children or innocent people. More than once, murderers have gone free to kill more innocent people. It is the innocent people I care about, and I think Bill cares about, not vengeance. Anyone dying is sad, but the law sometimes warrants it to protect society.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 Nov, 2008 06:06 pm
@DrewDad,
DrewDad wrote:

Absent any data that the death penalty actually increases deterrence in any meaningful way, and in spite of anecdotal listings of, say, acquitted individuals who end up being convicted of later murders, I'd say the evidence still points to the death penalty being pretty worthless for anything other than vengence.
Straight dishonest denial. I didn't provide data on "acquitted individuals who end up being convicted of later murders"; I provided data on CONVICTED MURDERERS who end up KILLING AGAIN. Denying FACTS is the lowest form of argument and mostly serves to make you look like an idiot.