California Voters Approve Gay-Marriage Ban

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 05:41 pm
@spendius,
Here you go off on a tangent again that really doesn't make any sense; you perception of what will happen 100 years from now where homosexuals will persecute heterosexuals goes beyond the pale. You have no common sense, or ability to understand logic, because your posts lack any common sense or logic.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 05:49 pm
I think there are many countries which discriminate against homosexuals where there is no discrimination against blacks because all the population is black.

It's a complete red herring that discriminating against homosexuals can be compared to discriminating against blacks. Deeply racist and misogynistic.

It's easy to identify racists and misogynists. They are forever accusing others of those things.
Foofie

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:16 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Foofie wrote:

Your innuendo would only be a false accusation, since my post only reflects being a champion of heterosexual parents, and their usual desire to have heterosexual offspring, so that there will be biological grandchildren, rather than grandchildren from some other paradigm.

And ze Germans just liked blond hair and blue eyes...

You're doing great in creating your superior uber race.

A
R
T

Being Jewish myself, your innuendos are specifically offensive, not to mention incorrect, since having one's own biological children is standard fare for monotheistic religions. You are claiming that there is a political issue here, and seeming to not focus on the fact that there is a religious issue here for many people.

hawkeye10

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:30 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
the fact that there is a religious issue here for many people.
all the more reason to let people choose to go back to the church for marriage, which presumably will require that the individuals sign contracts which are church approved.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:31 pm
@spendius,
Have you ever read quotes of thoughts from great historians that are not shared by the majority of people today?
It does not matter how well read you may be Spendius or how intellectual you may seem we all get it wrong. confirmation biases seem to control our thoughts unless you have ocpd. "then you would know empirically that they have no control over you.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:33 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Foofie wrote:

I know many would offer the solution of eliminating homophobia. But, like solving a simple equation, the solution could also be by eliminating homosexuals through, perhaps, finding the genetic cause and how to silence it genetically.

Maybe we could call this exercise in genetics something snappy and powerful; something to convey a feeling of accomplishment; something triumphant.

How about...

A
R
The Final Solution

Incorrect. The Final Solution was meant to exterminate a people so they would be dead. Homosexuals are not to be hurt; they just need to be "cured," in my opinion. Sort of the a medical version of the Spanish Inquisition, where those Jews that were willing to convert to Catholicism were allowed to stay in Spain. So, in my hypothetical, cured homosexuals would then be allowed to function as heterosexuals with no mention of their prior homosexuality on their "permanent record."

You see, homosexuals are not an ethnic group like Jews. Nor, are they a race, as the Nazis claimed Jews were. Homosexuals, in my opinion, are just the victims of an unknown causation that makes their lives less comfortable than heterosexuals, all things being equal.

The effort to make homosexuality as normal as heterosexuality in the U.S. society is like saying, in my opinion, that Jews are going to become the majority of players in the NFL. Sure, if a majority of the current NFL players convert to Judaism; otherwise it ain't happening. So, I just think there is a lack of collective maturity in the lgbt community by claiming that one should live as normal a life as a heterosexual, yet remain lgbt.

In fact, if tomorrow a pill was available that would make homosexuals become heterosexuals, what percentage of homosexuals would take the pill? A high percentage, I believe. So, in my opinion, it is only the collective lgbt organized agenda that claims homosexuality is normal and homosexuals should just enjoy their persuasion.
Foofie

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:44 pm
@mysteryman,
mysteryman wrote:

I wanna ask a question to those of you that arent gay and think that gay marriage is somehow wrong.

WHY??????

How does gays being allowed to marry affect you?
Are you afraid that a gay person will propose to you?

I think all of you need to grow up and realize that everyone has rights, you cant pick and choose what rights you want people to have.

A gay marriage, in my opinion, "cheapens" the marriage vows of heterosexuals.

I do not believe gays have the right to get married, since, in my opinion, the civil authorities inappropriately got into the business of officiating marriage, that had previously been the business of religions. Religions do not give civil rights, they interpret a concept of man's relationship to the divine. And, in monotheistic religions, homosexuals are not part of the marriage ceremony.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:45 pm
@Foofie,
How does it "cheapen" marriage? Are they not humans? How does homosexuals cheapen your life? FYI, your life is already cheapened by your outlook on all humans.
Foofie

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:51 pm
@failures art,
failures art wrote:

Cyclo - I think you've got it right.

When I look forward, I see many battles left. I think that the tide has turned though. I can't imagine our society going backwards.

I'll probably have to tell my kids about what it was like before. They won't understand.

It will be like when I try to imagine what it would have been like before interracial marriage was legal. The bigots fell from their towers or hid their racist views away in shame.

A
R
T

Similar to the dinosaurs disappearing, "chaos theory" explains that something unexpected can change everything. So, while society is not as bigoted against homosexuals as maybe one or two generations ago, homosexuals could fade into history, if a simple method to either prevent, or cure homosexuality came on the scene.

As long as there are biologists doing studies in labs, I believe, it is just a matter of time when the conundrum of what causes homosexuality will be understood, and then watch the number of homosexuals that would like to stop the music, so to speak, and become heterosexual. You do not have to believe me.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:52 pm
@Foofie,
Your quote :A gay marriage, in my opinion, "cheapens" the marriage vows of heterosexuals.
I am not sure that if Adam and Steve or Adam and Eve were to marry if the vows would have any less meaning as they both will eat from the same tree that weakens their vows.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:53 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
all the more reason to let people choose to go back to the church for marriage, which presumably will require that the individuals sign contracts which are church approved.

Exactly!
Foofie

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 07:59 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

How does it "cheapen" marriage? Are they not humans? How does homosexuals cheapen your life? FYI, your life is already cheapened by your outlook on all humans.

It cheapens a marriage that was officiated in a religious ceremony, since religious ceremonies, in monotheistic religions, do not marry homosexuals.

My life is enhanced, not cheapened, by my valuing U.S. citizens, as opposed to thinking that all humanity, on the entire globe, are of equal value. Perhaps, in a religious sense they are, but not in the practical sense of effecting a country's success. Please do not cheapen my love of country, and its citizens, with your universal concern for humanity.
reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:04 pm
@Foofie,
For some reason when I see the word Exactly used the way you used it I see $$$$ signs for the church and contracts that may destroy young peoples life who may wish to change their minds in the future.
Do not get me wrong I do not like to see people get divorced I would rather see changes come by education than by cunning contracts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:09 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Quote:
It cheapens a marriage that was officiated in a religious ceremony, since religious ceremonies, in monotheistic religions, do not marry homosexuals.
That's a subjective conclusion. Some churches recognize and perform homosexual marriages.

When you say "cheapens a marriage" how so? Only you or your partner can cheapen your own marriage. If you let others cheapen your marriage, you are an unstable person.

Foofie wrote:
Quote:
My life is enhanced, not cheapened, by my valuing U.S. citizens, as opposed to thinking that all humanity, on the entire globe, are of equal value.

We're not talking about the whole globe; it's about the US Constitution that says "equal justice under our laws." Are you trying to tell us that homosexuals aren't US citizens?

Foofie wrote:
Quote:
Perhaps, in a religious sense they are, but not in the practical sense of effecting a country's success.

And how did you arrive at this conclusion? Homosexuals are professionals like doctors, lawyers, teachers, and other jobs (like all other Americans), and also serve in our military. Your reality is bigoted.

Foofie wrote:
Quote:
Please do not cheapen my love of country, and its citizens, with your universal concern for humanity.

You have that right; I have friends all over the world, and would like to see them treated with respect and dignity. You really don't love your country; you love yourself, and hate people who do not meet your criteria of who Americans are. You need to learn about American history, the US Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and what America "used" to stand for. It's people like you who are destroying it with your bigotry.
0 Replies

reasoning logic

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 08:11 pm
@Foofie,
My life is enhanced, not cheapened, by my valuing U.S. citizens, as opposed to thinking that all humanity, on the entire globe, are of equal value. Perhaps, in a religious sense they are, but not in the practical sense of effecting a country's success.
Seems like something Thomas Aquinas or Saint Augustine would be proud to her you say.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sat 21 Aug, 2010 11:56 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Being Jewish myself, your innuendos are specifically offensive, not to mention incorrect, since having one's own biological children is standard fare for monotheistic religions. You are claiming that there is a political issue here, and seeming to not focus on the fact that there is a religious issue here for many people.

I don't care about your religious issue. You can have it. Your religious issue is yours and yours alone. Making it law is not acceptable.

You have a religious issue with gay marriage.
You want the USa to have a religious subscription on it.

A
R
Too bad.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 12:14 am
@failures art,
Quote:
You want the USa to have a religious subscription on it.
in my view you could have anyone you want marry you, or no one, all that counts in the contract that you negotiate with your lovey. However, in order to get married in the church you need t follow church rules. If one such rule is that you cant marry a guy then there you go, you will have to go else where. The state has no need to recognize your marriage, nor does anyone else, but whom ever you marry could if they chose hold you to what ever contract you sign in a court of law.

This completely solves the problem of gay marriage, there is no need to fight about it. I will never be forced to recognize gay marriage, it will never be done with any claims that I approve, it is all good.
0 Replies

failures art

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:06 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Incorrect. The Final Solution was meant to exterminate a people so they would be dead. Homosexuals are not to be hurt; they just need to be "cured," in my opinion. Sort of the a medical version of the Spanish Inquisition, where those Jews that were willing to convert to Catholicism were allowed to stay in Spain. So, in my hypothetical, cured homosexuals would then be allowed to function as heterosexuals with no mention of their prior homosexuality on their "permanent record."

The irony of this is simply too much.

So not the Holocaust... just the Spanish Inquisition... Hardly a trade.

So Jews could convert to Catholicism? Cool. What happened when they didn't? Did they go along on their marry little way? What happened if they did convert, but people weren't convinced?

You don't want to suggest that the gays be wiped out, just that they are erased. got it.

Foofie wrote:

You see, homosexuals are not an ethnic group like Jews. Nor, are they a race, as the Nazis claimed Jews were. Homosexuals, in my opinion, are just the victims of an unknown causation that makes their lives less comfortable than heterosexuals, all things being equal.

Toot toot! Irony train coming through!

You realize that both Jews and homosexuals were gathered up and put in the camps during the holocaust right? For that matter, what do you think happened to homosexuals during the Spanish Inquisition? There is literally no need for metaphors here. The gays have already had both the Spanish Inquisition, and the Holocaust.

You're attempt to draw some sort of ethnic classifier is totally false. The Nazis did not stop with ethnic classifiers.

The reasons you wish to impose your views on homosexuals, is the same as the Nazis. Congrats, hypocrite.

Foofie wrote:

The effort to make homosexuality as normal as heterosexuality in the U.S. society is like saying, in my opinion, that Jews are going to become the majority of players in the NFL.

Awful metaphor. So Jews aren't the majority of players in the NFL because of the rules of the NFL?

Foofie wrote:

In fact, if tomorrow a pill was available that would make homosexuals become heterosexuals, what percentage of homosexuals would take the pill? A high percentage, I believe. So, in my opinion, it is only the collective lgbt organized agenda that claims homosexuality is normal and homosexuals should just enjoy their persuasion.

You're probably right Foofie. If there was a pill that could change a person's sexuality, I bet a lot of people would take it.

For that matter...

If there was a pill that made you blonde and blue eyed, I bet a lot would take it.

If there was a pill that let you change from male to female or vice versa, I bet a lot would take it. In fact, I bet many homosexuals would take this pill over your gay-away pill.

Name a reason that any person could possibly feel like they don't fit in, and if there is a pill for it, some number of people would take it. Sure. Fact is, these pills don't exist. More important still, they don't need to exist. Things like homosexuality or brown hair are not diseases. They don't require a cure.

A
R
T
failures art

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 01:16 am
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:

Exactly!

If they go to that church. The Unitarians and other churches will marry homosexuals.

The part about the contract is where you'll run into trouble. If the point of the contract was solely for the benefit of the two people getting married, this wouldn't be so bad. You could even get married at a bank, they do contracts. Homosexuals don't need a church. The problem is that if marriage has ANY sort of recognition (child custody, hospital visitation, tax filing, etc), the contract from the Catholic church must be recognized in the same way as the Unitarian church.

A
R
T
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 22 Aug, 2010 02:13 am
@failures art,
Quote:
The problem is that if marriage has ANY sort of recognition (child custody, hospital visitation, tax filing, etc), the contract from the Catholic church must be recognized in the same way as the Unitarian church.
the contract would be between the two people, they would perhaps be approved by some church or other organization but that has nothing to do when putting into effect the provisions. A hospital could care less what kind of marriage you have, they would only care that you have spelled out that so and so has been granted by you the right to make medical decisions. Custody need not have anything to do with marriage. Ditto for taxes. I see nothing that is currently done with state recognized marriage that can not be handled with an itemized contract.
0 Replies