to all the bigots here...

maporsche

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 01:55 pm
@ebrown p,
Quote:
To claim that the racism now experienced by Black and Hispanic kids, in general is the same as racism experienced by White kids, is completely false. There are still stereotypes which play out in real life that I have seen hurt real kids I care about.

I think a lot of things that ALL kids experience are being misrepresented as racist as opposed to just something that happens to all kids.
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:35 pm
@cjhsa,
You are quickly becoming more irrelevant that the water bigot with your incessant whining and nonsensical bullshit. Grow up.
maporsche

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:37 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
I was about to say the same thing (and did to Bella Dea on another thread).
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:39 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Quote:

The essence of racism is to punish one person for something another member of the same race did. It's all racism, and to condone it in any case is racist. Each person should be judged as an individual based on his own actions, not on the actions of his race as a whole.

I agree with this completely. I also agree that black people are sometimes racist toward whites and I may even agree with you on specific examples.

What you are completely wrong about is the experience of our society as a whole.

Our society has improved greatly since the days of lynchings and segregtion... and the fact that Obama can be president is a very good sign of this.

To claim that the racism now experienced by Black and Hispanic kids, in general is the same as racism experienced by White kids, is completely false. There are still stereotypes which play out in real life that I have seen hurt real kids I care about.

Of course, the most harmful bigotry now is aimed at Middle Eastern and Arabic people. In some ways it seems like for all the improvements with some groups, we are now much worse in others.

Maybe the amount of racial bigotry doesn't really change-- except for every so often we find new targets.

I didn't exactly claim that. I claimed that it's all the same in character, not quantity. But I would resist any suggestion, if you are making one, that one group experiences valid racism and the other "harmless, benign" racism. However, once again, I never intended to de-rail the thread, only to ask for clarification.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 02:50 pm
hmmm....I just had a conversation that was interesting.

Someone I've met maybe 3 or 4 times showed up early for a meeting, so we spent a few minutes in conversation.

Not knowing her political beliefs, I said "wow, that was an exciting election last night, wasn't it?"

Her lukewarm response, then a comment about her son in the military being upset, then saying "All military people are for McCain" made her stance pretty clear. So, I was ready to move on, since this is a work relationship.

Then she said....."Well, you know a lot of people are upset because of his middle-eastern descent....you know....Obama....Osama....the names really close."

I said "Obama isn't middle eastern, and those 2 names aren't the same."

She: "Well....yeah....but a lot of people will think it is and think that."

Me: "Well, than that would be a perfect opportunity for education. It's clear he's not middle eastern, and neither is his name. If someone said that, I for one would not just stand there and listen, I wouldn't argue, but would inform them otherwise so they would know what they were told was not true."

funny, this is a very intelligent woman.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 5 Nov, 2008 11:57 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:

Of course, the most harmful bigotry now is aimed at Middle Eastern and Arabic people.

But do you think that's racial, or based on religion? In Australia, there is fear of Lebanese muslims, but not of Lebanese christians.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:07 am
@chai2,
Good for you, chai! Well said!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 12:23 am
@Setanta,
Quote:
Apparently, you have not seen Pamela Rosa's "RIP USA" thread, or read some of the many really vile posts which cjhsa has made.

Actually Set, I'm starting to seriously doubt that "Pamela Rosa" is a real person. "She" presents herself as a long-suffering white person living under the horrors (Shocked) of a black dominated society in South Africa. "She" has posted many quite unpleasant anti-black articles here, but very rarely responds to comments from A2Kers ... myself included. I've tried to draw "her" into further discussion on a number of occasions ... with very little response. I suspect "Pamela Rosa" is simply a front for some very nasty anti-black organisation in South Africa, spewing out extremely nasty white supremicist (sp??) garbage on the internet.
Mame

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:11 am
@OCCOM BILL,
OCCOM BILL wrote:

You are quickly becoming more irrelevant that the water bigot with your incessant whining and nonsensical bullshit. Grow up.

Another way to phrase that is "the Spigot Bigot".
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:25 am
@Mame,
Laughing
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 01:57 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
white supremicist (sp??) ....

Isn't it spelt spermicid? Twisted Evil
msolga

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 02:03 am
@Francis,
I'll go with that, Francis. Wink

But I'm still wondering how to spell that unspellable word!
Where's a spellcheck when I need one?
Francis

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 02:07 am
@msolga,
You're almost there, msolga, it's supremacist..
Eorl

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 02:12 am
@Woiyo9,
Nah....it's all good.

Today is like, in the super hero comics, when the superhero has won and reaches out to save the bad guy from falling to his doom,but the bad guy spits in his face, slips and gets himself fatally impaled...and screams all kinds of terrible abuse as his last remaining act of defiance in the face of certain defeat.

Racist America is dead. The rednecks are taking down their flags (just ask OMSIG) and heading deep into the woods.
msolga

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 02:12 am
@Francis,
Very Happy

Gosh! I just had my English spelling collected by a French person! Surprised

Thank you, Francis - you're a peach! Very Happy
Francis

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 02:19 am
@msolga,
I wish my grammar would be as good as my spelling... Embarrassed
msolga

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 02:21 am
@Francis,
There's something wrong with your use of (English) grammar, Francis?Surprised
Francis

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 02:22 am
@msolga,
Oh yeah!!!
msolga

Reply Thu 6 Nov, 2008 02:24 am
@Francis,
I truly hadn't noticed, Francis.

Bet you do a few other languages very well, too!