Colin Powell to Endorse Obama?

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:10 pm
I'm just wondering if blacks in the military will respond differently if they find Colin Powell endorsing Obama?
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:22 pm
I saw at least one commentator say that this endorsement would help OBama a great deal. Really? I think most people stopped caring about what Powell thinks when it became clear that he is too much of a pussy to get into politics. He lost even more credibility with his seeming failure to do anything to prevent the Iraq war disaster. Powell, along with almost all of the senior Army leadership, is vilified by the mid level officers for the harm they have done to the Army by not standing up for the the best interests of Army when it counted, 2001-2005
engineer

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:23 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

I'm just wondering if blacks in the military will respond differently if they find Colin Powell endorsing Obama?

Who do you think they are favoring now? The idea that the military is uniformly in McCain's camp is incorrect. There are a lot of folks on the ground who would vote for the guy who fights for veteran benefits, proper VA funding and a good GI bill. That guy ain't McCain.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:25 pm
@engineer,
I never said "...the military is uniformly in McCain's camp..." The issue I'm raising is whether Colin Powell's endorsement will make any difference to blacks?
sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:27 pm
@hawkeye10,
I think it could be the straw that broke the camel's back for some people. There are people who liked the "old" McCain and who just can't quite tell if Candidate McCain is just bullshitting to get to the White House and he'd be a perfectly good president, or if their fundamental understanding of McCain needs to be re-examined.

Those people tend to like Powell, too. If Powell rejects McCain and goes for Obama, I think that might help along some re-examination in that group. And either keep 'em home or maybe persuade them to vote for Obama.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:27 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
I never said "...the military is uniformly in McCain's camp..." The issue I'm raising is whether Colin Powell's endorsement will make any difference to blacks?
So let me see if I have this right.....it is your contention that more than a handful of blacks are likely to vote for McCain/ Palin now??
engineer

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:28 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I saw at least one commentator say that this endorsement would help OBama a great deal. Really? I think most people stopped caring about what Powell thinks when it became clear that he is too much of a pussy to get into politics.

It takes a certain type of ego to get into politics, an absolute belief that your view of the world is significantly superior to everyone else's. I don't fault the majority of Americans that aren't all that into it. I'm surprised you think that Powell is a pussy for knowing what he's good at and sticking to that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
No, you're not "right." Guess again.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:30 pm
@engineer,
The nation needed him, and he turned his back......no, He does not get forgiven for that.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:32 pm
@cicerone imposter,
If the blacks are going to Obama anyway then who cares what the blacks think of Powell supporting him in the last weeks after it becomes clear that Obama is going to win?
engineer

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:33 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The nation needed him, and he turned his back......no, He does not get forgiven for that.

I completely agree that we needed him to stand up to Bush and prevent the Iraq war. But given his failure to do so, I believe leaving office was an acceptable alternative. Trying to parley his ties with Bush into a Senate seat or a VP nomination would have been worse IMO.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 03:46 pm
@hawkeye10,
You're missing the whole point of my query, so give up, already.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 06:54 pm
@sozobe,
Bethie...sorry, just saw your post now.

Soz reads this as I do. All the folks like okie or foxfyre won't be much moved with a Powell endorsement, they'll just gain further certainty that they are afflicted by traitorism within and without. But there's some significant portion of the electorate who have changed affiliation from R to D formally and there will be many more who shift if not so formally. It's those folks who, I think, will respond to Powell's relative centrism.
farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:15 pm
I dont need Powells endorsement. In fact, Powell still has a long way to go to prove that hes not an opportunist. He lied for the administration and when it was finally released, the airphoto data he paraded in front of the UN was quickly renounced by theCIA itself.. (Guys went on the l;ine with their careers to say that the data was all bullshit) Those guys, just like SCott Ritter, were the real heroes, IMHO. Colin was a toadie who supported the "slam dunk" data before he renounced it.

AS a proud liberal, I spit on him.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:26 pm
@farmerman,
I wouldn't quite spit on him, because he lost most of what he gained over his many years of his military career by supporting the Bush doctrine for the war in Iraq.

Kinda feel sorry for the guy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 08:30 pm
. I neither pity, nor feel sorry for him. He was a trained photogrammatrist as a degreed mining geologist (thats the part that I now know he was lying through his teeth and was part fo the entire plan of the Bush regime to gain revenge on Saddam. SO we agree to disagree on this point . We'll have to work it through. Very Happy
JTT

Reply Sat 18 Oct, 2008 09:06 pm
@farmerman,
Powell has always been a yes man, covering up war crimes to please higher ups. He has, on rare occasions, shown signs of honesty and remorse but that means little after you've been caught screwing the pooch.
cjhsa

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 05:06 am
@JTT,
I'm buying stock in watermelon farms.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 06:20 am
smart money is gonna go for investing in menthol cigarette amnufacturing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 19 Oct, 2008 08:02 am
He did it.

http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/powell-endorses-obama/?hp