True Republican thought

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:27 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

Cyclo,
Specifically what "racist and xenophobic accusations towards Obama" has McCain made "these last few months"?

You know as well as I do that there are racists and xenophobes on both sides spouting all kinds of hate and venom, but those comments are not coming from the lips of either candidate. To imply they are coming directlyh from the Repub candidate is an outright lie and to imply it's only coming from the Repub side is disingenuous at best.

Michelle Malkin has captured some of the rage coming from the Democratic fringe here. Anybody who's been on A2K for more than few hours has seen bushels of similar comments of rage from Bush-haters right here.

When McCain and Palin talk about Obama's 'terrorist pals,' and ask 'who is the real barack Obama?' these are code words designed to point out that he is black, and nothing more.

They don't expect anyone to look at Obama and think, 'hey, this guy is a terrorist.' B/c he doesn't look like one, it's sort of a silly charge. But they do wish to bring up the 'he is different' line, over and over again; it's shorthand for 'black.'

Palin especially whips her crowds up with this xenophobia and barely concealed racist terminology; and it's exactly what they are intending to do. Don't play dumb.

Cycloptichorn

Cycloptichorn
cjhsa

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:36 am
@Cycloptichorn,
Put down the crack pipe cyclops....your eye is really dilated.
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:44 am
@Cycloptichorn,
cyclo wrote:
When McCain and Palin talk about Obama's 'terrorist pals,' and ask 'who is the real barack Obama?' these are code words designed to point out that he is black, and nothing more.

If you haven't noticed..the "terrorist pal" they are pointing to is not black...neither are most of the ones we are fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq.

And there have been reams of leftist fear-fomenting about Sarah Palin as well and who she really is i.e., "she's not really a maverik"..."she's not really a feminist"..."she's really a separatist". Calling into question who Barack really is (and he does have an extremely limited background from which to judge) is no more racist then calling Palin's background into question is misogynistic.

These calls about racism are simply Dem fear tactics designed to get folks to the polls...and completely unfounded.
maporsche

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:46 am
@Cycloptichorn,
I agree with the republicans here....this whole thread is a bunch of BS.

You are acting like a 3 year old.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 11:52 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

cyclo wrote:

If you haven't noticed..the "terrorist pal" they are pointing to is not black...neither are most of the ones we are fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq.

And there have been reams of leftist fear-fomenting about Sarah Palin as well and who she really is i.e., "she's not really a maverik"..."she's not really a feminist"..."she's really a separatist". Calling into question who Barack really is (and he does have an extremely limited background from which to judge) is no more racist then calling Palin's background into question is misogynistic.

These calls about racism are simply Dem fear tactics designed to get folks to the polls...and completely unfounded.

[/quote]

Bullshit. McCain and Palin can't simply say, 'look folks, he's a black guy.' They have to come up with workarounds, ways to point out that he's 'different.' And that's exactly what they are doing.

Look at the effect it has -

http://www.pe.com/imagesdaily/2008/10-16/racist16_400.jpg

Quote:
Inland GOP mailing depicts Obama's face on food stamp

07:07 AM PDT on Thursday, October 16, 2008

By MICHELLE DeARMOND
The Press-Enterprise

The latest newsletter by an Inland Republican women's group depicts Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama surrounded by a watermelon, ribs and a bucket of fried chicken, prompting outrage in political circles.

The October newsletter by the Chaffey Community Republican Women, Federated says if Obama is elected his image will appear on food stamps -- instead of dollar bills like other presidents. The statement is followed by an illustration of "Obama Bucks" -- a phony $10 bill featuring Obama's face on a donkey's body, labeled "United States Food Stamps."

The GOP newsletter, which was sent to about 200 members and associates of the group by e-mail and regular mail last week, is drawing harsh criticism from members of the political group, elected leaders, party officials and others as racist.

The group's president, Diane Fedele, said she plans to send an apology letter to her members and to apologize at the club's meeting next week. She said she simply wanted to deride a comment Obama made over the summer about how as an African-American he "doesn't look like all those other presidents on the dollar bills."

"It was strictly an attempt to point out the outrageousness of his statement. I really don't want to go into it any further," Fedele said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "I absolutely apologize to anyone who was offended. That clearly wasn't my attempt."

Fedele said she got the illustration in a number of chain e-mails and decided to reprint it for her members in the Trumpeter newsletter because she was offended that Obama would draw attention to his own race. She declined to say who sent her the e-mails with the illustration.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/inland/stories/PE_News_Local_S_buck16.3d67d4a.html

It's quite clear what they are doing; using the same sorts of 'code phrases' that Republicans have used for a long time, to transmit their fear and xenophobia to their crowds. And it's working just fine. If you look at the videos of the actual people at their rallies, it's quite the racist and ignorant bunch who show up.

Cycloptichorn
JPB

@maporsche,
I was hoping to see a discussion of "True" Republican thought. I think that's one of the main issues with the republican party is that they have become polarized within themselves to the point that I don't know if they can define who a "True" republican is. Kinda like the Christians running around pointing fingers at each other telling others they can't be in the club. Eventually there is no club and I'm thinking that's where the republicans are headed.

<she says hopefully after waiting decades for a viable moderate third party>
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

I agree with the republicans here....this whole thread is a bunch of BS.

You are acting like a 3 year old.

If you've got nothing to add, why don't you go fixate on guns some more? Just think, somebody could be plotting to take them from you, right now! <oh the terror!>

Cycloptichorn
slkshock7

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:08 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Ahhh, "code-phrases" right...this would be something like the secret KKK hand-shake that all us Republicans know about...

Did you even read your own article...the woman responsible is apologizing. Has Wright apologized? or Jesse Jackson?

And here's some of the stuff that those of your own party is spewing...

http://michellemalkin.cachefly.net/michellemalkin.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/1ajgblood.jpg

Get real...emotions are high and the radical fringe of both parties is having a hey-day. For every example you can bring, I can bring another...but it means nothing than that there are plenty of nuts to go around. Reasonable people should ignore them.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:14 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Joe Klein agrees with me.

Quote:
Thursday, Oct. 16, 2008
Round Three
By Joe Klein

"This really gets down to the fundamental difference in our philosophies," John McCain said, quite accurately, in the heat of the third presidential debate. "If you notice ... Senator Obama wants government to do the job. He wants government to do the job. I want you, Joe, to do the job," referring to a plumber Barack Obama had met on the campaign trail. The job, in this case, was finding health insurance. And in years past, McCain would have had the better of this argument " it is the classic division between liberals and conservatives. But 2008 has proved to be a new and frightening moment for the American electorate, and having the government help in finding, and funding, health care doesn't sound like such a bad idea anymore. McCain had a feisty debate, with some high points and a bit too much anger to make Americans feel very comfortable in his presence, but to a very great extent, his fate " like this election " was out of his control. This is simply not a good year to say, "Joe, take care of your health care yourself." It seems an impossible year for McCain's Reagan Republican philosophy.

McCain entered the third debate with Obama a chastened man. Half the Republican savants seemed to have given up on him; the other half were offering bad advice. Worse, he seemed to have realized " finally " the permanent threat to his reputation that his campaign had become. The moment of truth may have occurred at an Oct. 6 rally. "Who is the real Barack Obama?" McCain asked. "A terrorist!" a man bellowed. McCain seemed to wince, roll his eyes, retreat. He didn't admonish the man, but the incident was unsettling, and several days later, at a town-hall meeting in Minnesota, he did begin to push back against the ugliness of his crowds. A woman said, "I can't trust Obama. He's an Arab," and McCain replied, "No, ma'am. No, ma'am, he's not. He's a decent family man " citizen " that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues."

It wouldn't be entirely fair to blame McCain for the bilious mess his party has become. The most vehement of the Republican faithful live in an alternative universe, fermented by decades of Rush Limbaugh's brilliantly meretricious baloney and Sean Hannity's low-rent bullying. As McCain's audiences went out of control, Hannity stoked the rage with a "documentary" about Obama that featured, without qualification, a poisonously flaky anti-Semite who claimed to know Obama was a Muslim. But McCain had consistently stoked the rage as well, with nonstop negative advertising and by questioning Obama's patriotism and trying to make an Everest out of the anthill of Obama's association " passing, at best " with the former terrorist William Ayers. Those gambits, plus McCain's monumentally dreadful selection of a running mate unqualified for the presidency, have defined the Republican's campaign. According to the polls, the stunts and attacks have hurt more than they have helped, which is a wonderful thing: a very worried public is taking this election very seriously.

McCain's benighted handlers had been stuck too deep in the Rovian mud to pick up on that. But in the days just before the debate, McCain returned to the acceptable boundaries of presidential politics with a punchy new stump speech that was plenty critical of Obama but critical on matters of substance, not inference. Obama would raise taxes. He would spend too much. He would "concede defeat in Iraq." And then, in a perfect valedictory to his career, McCain said, "I'm an American. And I choose to fight." It is impossible to say what McCain's fate would have been if he had taken this tough but traditional tack and also chosen Senator Joe Lieberman, the Vice President he really wanted, as former George W. Bush strategist Matthew Dowd suggested he should have done. No doubt, given the political tides, Obama would still be ahead, but McCain would seem a more plausible alternative and still have his honor intact.

The structural weakness of McCain's position was evident every time Obama described a program " health care, education, energy " in the third debate. cnn's focus group of independent Ohioans would send the dials on their electric gizmos spinning into the stratosphere. They loved the idea that government would spend more on education or energy or regulate the health-insurance companies. They also loved the idea that government should do this carefully " McCain's best moment was when he described how he'd cut waste. But McCain always looked as if he were a kernel of corn about to pop. He blinked, he spluttered. He interrupted Obama constantly. At times, McCain's outrage seemed righteous, as when he thundered that he was not Bush. (The focus group punished Obama when he mentioned the "failed policies of the past eight years.") But even righteous outrage seemed much too hot this year. In his anger, McCain confirmed a sad truth about his campaign: that the prime source of the negativity was the candidate himself.

Find this article at:
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1850940,00.html

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:16 pm
@slkshock7,
Yeah, apologizing is what you do when you get caught doing something shitty. It doesn't mean you are actually sorry about spreading racist pictures, though.

When did Wright come into this? It didn't. You are trying to make a false equivalence, while again spouting the same sort of **** that McCain does - that Obama is responsible for the actions of associates of his. This tactic has failed spectacularly with every group of Americans besides Conservatives.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:56 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
The McCain campaign is doing robo-calls in many swing states -

Quote:
The caller begins by announcing that he's calling on behalf of McCain and the RNC. the call continues:

"You need to know that Barack Obama has worked closely with domestic terrorist Bill Ayers, whose organization bombed the U.S. Capitol, the Pentagon, a judge's home, and killed Americans. And Democrats will enact an extreme leftist agenda if they take control of Washington. Barack Obama and his democratic allies lack the judgment to lead our country."

The call concludes by saying it was "paid for by McCain-Palin 2008 and the Republican National Committee."

More fearmongering by a bunch who have no actual agenda and no viable candidate, so all they can do is stoke xenophobia and racism. Pathetic that McCain has resorted to the same sorts of tactics he used to decry, when they were used against him.

Cycloptichorn
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:59 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
And the members of the Republican party revel in the negativity.

Quote:
Obama Slaying Joke Sent By GOP Fundraiser

ADVERTISEMENT
Click Here.

By WILLIAM MARCH

[email protected]

Published: October 16, 2008

TAMPA - Al Austin, a high-level Republican fundraiser from Tampa, sent an e-mail to his list of his political contacts Wednesday containing a joke that refers to the assassination of Sen. Barack Obama, D-Ill.

In an interview, Austin said it was a mistake and apologized, that he hadn't fully read the e-mail and wouldn't knowingly have circulated it.

Later in the day, Austin sent a follow-up e-mail saying it was "a serious mistake on my part" and that the joke "was entirely wrong and certainly does not represent my feelings."

The punch line says that if an airplane carrying Obama and his wife were blown up "it certainly wouldn't be a great loss, and it probably wouldn't be an accident either."

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/oct/16/na-obama-slaying-joke-sent/news-politics/

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:03 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
cyclo wrote:
You are trying to make a false equivalence, while again spouting the same sort of **** that McCain does - that Obama is responsible for the actions of associates of his.

ROFL...fine thing to say when you are trying to make McCain responsible for the actions of "associates of his"....Frankly, I doubt McCain even knows this lady...certainly can't say that he has a 20-year relationship on the same order as Obama-Wright.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:05 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

cyclo wrote:
You are trying to make a false equivalence, while again spouting the same sort of **** that McCain does - that Obama is responsible for the actions of associates of his.

ROFL...fine thing to say when you are trying to make McCain responsible for the actions of "associates of his"....Frankly, I doubt McCain even knows this lady...certainly can't say that he has a 20-year relationship on the same order as Obama-Wright.

McCain is the one stoking the anger. Obama didn't whip Wright or Ayers up into a frenzy. You have made a false equivalence, for the direction of the influence is reversed in your example.

I am holding McCain responsible for his xenophobic speech at campaign rallies, his robocalls which do the same thing, and his utter failure to control his own campaign. It's pathetic and not something to be proud of. And you know it, Silk...

Cycloptichorn
slkshock7

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:52 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
But you still haven't given me a single instance of McCain or Palin "stoking the anger" of racism. You throw out one comment Palin made about "paling with terrorists" and immediately apply your own biases to make the leap that she is racist. Then you prove your case by saying she's using "code-words" of your own deriving.

What is clear to me is that Obama or more accurately, his minions are intent on whipping the base of his party into a frenzy by false accusations of racism. Your acceptance of this baseless falsehood demonstrates that it's working...
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:55 pm
@slkshock7,
That's because you are ill informed or mis-informed.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 01:56 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

But you still haven't given me a single instance of McCain or Palin "stoking the anger" of racism. You throw out one comment Palin made about "paling with terrorists" and immediately apply your own biases to make the leap that she is racist. Then you prove your case by saying she's using "code-words" of your own deriving.

What is clear to me is that Obama or more accurately, his minions are intent on whipping the base of his party into a frenzy by false accusations of racism. Your acceptance of this baseless falsehood demonstrates that it's working...

The code words are not of my deriving, Silk. And the hate that your candidates are spreading through their insinuations is real.

I wonder if you will have the guts to keep your shtick up in three weeks after Obama has won. My guess is not.

Cycloptichorn
slkshock7

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:29 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
So according to you (and some unspecified dictionary on racist code words) "terrorists" is a code-word for black and "the real Barack Obama" is another code word for black....okkkk

If I wasn't so astounded by the stupidity of the comment, I would laugh.

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:35 pm
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

So according to you (and some unspecified dictionary on racist code words) "terrorists" is a code-word for black and "the real Barack Obama" is another code word for black....okkkk

If I wasn't so astounded by the stupidity of the comment, I would laugh.

Yeah, that's about right. See, it's situational; McCain and Palin can't come right out and call him a 'scary black guy,' so they have to find other words - code words - to remind people that he's different. And they have done exactly this.

Own it. Own the racism and xenophobia your party leaders spout. Own the effects that it produces amongst your ideological mates. Instead of this childish denial that any of that is present at all. You seem to pretend that there is no such thing as meta-messaging, and that's not only stupid, it's heretical coming from a Republican; for Reagan was the absolute and undisputed master of meta-messaging.

Cycloptichorn
maporsche

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:37 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
I don't quite see what you've added either Cyclops.
0 Replies