Obama's Tax Plan Is Really a Welfare Plan

maporsche

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:28 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
fine, as long as the refundable tax credits do not result in someone earning money via the system, I have no problem.

This is just as bad as earmarks to me.

As far as me sounding like a jerk, that's simply not true. I even said to put this money into the welfare system. It belongs there. It does not belong in our income tax program.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 05:54 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

fine, as long as the refundable tax credits do not result in someone earning money via the system, I have no problem.

This is just as bad as earmarks to me.

As far as me sounding like a jerk, that's simply not true. I even said to put this money into the welfare system. It belongs there. It does not belong in our income tax program.

Earmarks aren't that bad. 18 billion out of a 3.3 trillion budget. It is a problem that needs reform but hardly the biggest one we face at this time; in fact, I'd say it's trivial compared to other problems.

I don't think anyone really profits from our tax system; you can be poor enough to get more out then you put in, but hells bells, who would stay extremely poor simply to get an extra 4k per year for free? 1100 a month for a family of 4 or 5 would be hellish. There's no profit in gaming the system that way.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:35 pm
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

No, it doesn't sound about right. I agree that they are fucked, but they are getting in income tax return....yet have not paid a dime in income taxes. And what Obama is apparently proposing will increase the amount they receive.

...which brings us to the point of this thread, what you're talking about now is WELFARE...which I am in support of (especially with the rules that Clinton helped to put into place in the 90's), but it shouldn't be managed through our income taxes. We have a whole office dedicated to this.

OK well I'm no expert on taxes in America, but thats not how I see it after what I read. I mean - well, ok - Obama wants to give tax refunds to middle and working class families, right? And he proposes giving it back through the income tax system. Since a large group of people dont pay any income tax, that means that they'll get money out of an income tax refund that they didnt first pay in ... income tax. But they did pay other taxes. They paid plenty of taxes:

"Obama has proposed several tax credits that include families who earn too little to owe income taxes, a group that include about half of families with children. But many of these families work and pay thousands of dollars in other taxes. For example, a family of four must earn about $25,000 before owing income taxes--but they must pay payroll taxes on the first dollar they earn. Indeed, Obama's biggest refundable credit is designed to cushion the blow of payroll taxes."

That's from here. Basically, the conservative fallacy on this one is that 'they dont pay income tax' = 'they dont pay taxes'. And if they dont pay taxes and yet they get tax refunds, that's just welfare, right? Thats just gifted money they're getting. But thats not right. Because these people do pay taxes, plenty of taxes, from the first dollar they earn. So all that's happning is they pay type A taxes and get a tax refund through the type B tax pipeline. Probly cause you cant refund the payroll taxes or I dont know what practicality -- but welfare this aint.

The people who are saying that, basically, this is just the state giving away tax money to people who never paid taxes in the first place are just demagoguing. This is that whole post from which I just quoted:

Quote:
McCain Channels Phil Gramm To Attack 'Lucky Duckies'

McCain advisor Douglas Holtz-Eakin slammed Obama's tax plan today, saying, "Obama has proposed a ‘tax cut' for 95 percent of people when, literally, almost 40 percent pay no federal income taxes at all." He cited a recent New York Post editorial labeling Obama's tax cuts "welfare."

It is true that Obama has proposed several tax credits that include families who earn too little to owe income taxes, a group that include about half of families with children. But many of these families work and pay thousands of dollars in other taxes. For example, a family of four must earn about $25,000 before owing income taxes--but they must pay payroll taxes on the first dollar they earn. Indeed, Obama's biggest refundable credit is designed to cushion the blow of payroll taxes.

Refundable credits are also often the most economically efficient way to help families, according to now-CBO director Peter Orszag. Maybe that's why McCain's own health care plan uses refundable credits.

But McCain is echoing Phil Gramm's and Newt Gingrich's old claim here that tax credits for low-income workers amount to welfare. The Wall Street Journal editorial page charmingly referred to people too poor to pay income taxes as "lucky duckies."

As a presidential candidate, George W. Bush "sandbagged" these Republicans by defending the earned income tax credit. Now McCain is standing with Gramm and Gingrich, to the right of Bush.

--Robert Gordon and James Kvaal
maporsche

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 06:43 pm
@nimh,
Ok Nimh....so the person in my example, who makes 10k and gets 4k back....are they making money or is there some 40% sales tax that I'm not aware of?
InfraBlue

Reply Wed 15 Oct, 2008 07:35 pm
@dyslexia,
Quote:
perhaps you forgot to mention Obama is a negra

Obama is a black woman???
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 05:18 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

Ok Nimh....so the person in my example, who makes 10k and gets 4k back....are they making money or is there some 40% sales tax that I'm not aware of?

Sales tax? I dunno, but that person would have had payroll taxes deducted from every dollar of his 10,000 dollars of income.

Ie:

you wrote:
The figure I got was ZERO paid income taxes, and a $4010 income tax return.

TNR wrote:
a family of four must earn about $25,000 before owing income taxes--but they must pay payroll taxes on the first dollar they earn. Indeed, Obama's biggest refundable credit is designed to cushion the blow of payroll taxes.

maporsche

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 05:49 am
@nimh,
oh, you mean the FICA and Medicare taxes they pay.

Their FICA taxes would have equaled $320.
Their Medicare taxes would have equaled $180.

They are already getting back $4000 when they only paid $500 in payroll taxes. How much more does Obama want to give them?

Put this money into the welfare program where it belongs.
maporsche

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 06:05 am
@maporsche,
do you guys have a problem with the welfare program? It works for a lot of kids. My parents had 6 children and never made over $30000/yr, my family was on welfare my entire life, whenever my parents did get money it was wasted. They used to get these $5000 tax returns that they would go on vacation with, or buy a new stereo system. That money would gave been better spent by putting it into the welfare system.
nimh

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 07:31 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

do you guys have a problem with the welfare program?

No, not me... my girlfriend grew up in a welfare family too. She's pretty ambivalent about the system ... but without it they'd have been out at sea.

I guess mostly I have a problem with these rightwing blowhards like those Wall Street Journal types in the opening post pretending like the recipients of Obama's tax refunds never paid any taxes and now are going to get this big hand-out. Thats just not true. His program will give tax cuts or refunds to the overwhelming majority of the population, and the overwhelming majority of those have paid plenty of taxes into the system. And even the worst of the worst-off like the example you came up with did put some payroll taxes into the system.

I mean, jebus. You've got one tax proposal, McCain's, which disproportionally benefits the wealthiest in society. And you have another plan, Obama's, that gives more back in tax cuts and refunds to anyone earning less than 2 x the median family income. Repeat: everyone up till 2 x the median income will be better off under Obama's tax plan. And yet they're trying to whip up this outrage about his plan being some kind of "welfare queen" thing - Obama will take money from hardworking middle class tax-payers and give it to people who never even paid any taxes in the first place! I think thats despicable.

http://chartjunk.karmanaut.com/wp-content/images/taxplans.gif
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 09:01 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

oh, you mean the FICA and Medicare taxes they pay.

Their FICA taxes would have equaled $320.
Their Medicare taxes would have equaled $180.

They are already getting back $4000 when they only paid $500 in payroll taxes. How much more does Obama want to give them?

Put this money into the welfare program where it belongs.

Maybe you should redo your math for someone earning $10,000.
FICA is 6.2% with another 6.2% from employer for a total of 14.2%
Medicare is 1.45 with another 1.45 from employer for a total of 2.9%

Their total FICA would have been $1240
Total Medicare would have been $290

You were off by over $1000. It does raise questions about your argument when you can be off by so far.
maporsche

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 10:43 am
@parados,
Maybe you should check you math before critisizing mine (and my math was right, my percentages were wrong)....

6.2% + 6.2% = 12.4%

I didn't check the exact percentages of Fica and Medicare (my memory thought it was 3.2% for FICA and 1.8% for medicare). I was on the train and didn't want to look it up on my iphone.

My bad, but the argument is still sound even with the higher numbers you provided (and even if you insist on including employer taxes).
parados

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 12:14 pm
@maporsche,
oops, typo on the 14.2. I got the $1240 correct just transposed numbers on the %.

As for including employer contributions, the government is getting revenue because the person is working. If you want to talk about tax revenue that government gets as a result of the person than you should include all revenue.

Yes, one can argue that some persons are getting more back then they are paying in. However that argument is usually one made while ignoring revenues that would undercut it.

A family with 3 kids making $10,000 is not that common in the US. Most of those paying no income tax make more than that so pay more in FICA before they get their credit. Arguing we should restrict refunds to what they pay in is one thing. Arguing they pay nothing by ignoring what they do pay is something else entirely. You started out by saying they pay nothing.
maporsche

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:45 pm
@parados,
Well, yeah, I don't think we should be refunding FICA and Medicare taxes via the income tax channel.

If you want to change it so that people don't pay FICA or Medicare on the first 10,000 they earn then so be it.

We're crossing income/deduction streams here, which I think is being done to paint a dishonest picture of the impact of Obama's intentions (and all politicans in general).
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Thu 16 Oct, 2008 02:46 pm
@parados,
So, let's talk about restricting tax returns to what the person actually paid (in federal taxes (income, FICA, Medicare)).

Good idea or not?
parados

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 08:22 am
@maporsche,
The child tax credit is the only credit I know of that gives more money than paid in. We will have to talk about kids if you want to talk about that restriction.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 08:27 am
@maporsche,
maporsche wrote:

So, let's talk about restricting tax returns to what the person actually paid (in federal taxes (income, FICA, Medicare)).

Good idea or not?
not
maporsche

Reply Fri 17 Oct, 2008 09:15 am
@dyslexia,
why?
0 Replies