Why Tip? The history of tipping in America

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:29 am
@Reyn,
I'm not blaming in a sense - just stating a fact - Canadians are not intentionally bad tippers - just that some do not understand that in the US waitstaff relies on tips as part of their income. It is a cultural sort of thing not really a blame thing.

My husband has spent years in the restaurant industry - waiting tables and managing and anyone who has knows that Canadians typically tip significantly less most likely because it has been pointed out Canadian system of tipping is different. I'm actually saying it is understandable why they would tip less not that it is they are being cheap.

In one particular instance, my girlfriend and I went to a restaurant where my husband was managing at the time. We brought along a Canadian friend that was visiting. My husband took care of the bill. Our Canadian friend offerred to leave the tip. As we were getting up to leave my husband came over and asked me if there was a problem with the service - seems our friend only left 10%. My husband explained to me that often times Canadians tip very low. We didn't want to embarass our friend knowing he was more he didn't realize our custom so we (my friend and I) left the additional 10%.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:30 am
@hamburger,
Actually it is normal to leave less in a buffet style setting. You are not being served the same way as where it is sit down service so the waitstaff have significantly more tables.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:33 am
@hamburger,
I agree there are bad tippers any where - my comment on Canadians is the fact that they do not tip the same way as in the US. So if they are aware of the custom, they would tip as they know. It isn't a negative about them - how are you supposed to know you are to tip more unless some one tells you about it or you read up on it prior to traveling.

I found out after traveling to London the first time that I way overtipped because of the US customs versus England.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:33 am
@cicerone imposter,
That is exactly what I do - that way they know they money is a tip and not that I left it behind.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:34 am
@hawkeye10,
You are right hawkeye - buffet style if different - I still usually leave a tip, but it is more around 10%.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:09 am
Prof Michael Lynn made numerous researches on tipping in America (and published a large tipping bibliography).

His results (Lynn/McCall 200; Lynn 1997; Lynn et. al. 1993) highlight how prestige and status are linked: tipping has the most importance in societies where prestige and status is very important.
Additionally, tips are made to balance the envy of the serving personal about money and success of the fortunate customers and guests on the one side as well as to calm the sense of shame and guilt of the guests/customers on the other. (Foster, 1972; Lynn 1994).

Source for above: (Professor Dr.) Winfried Speitkamp, Der Rest ist für Sie - kleine Geschichte des Tringeldes ["Keep the change - a little history of tipping" Stuttgart, 2008
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:17 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter wrote:
Quote:
Additionally, tips are made to balance the envy of the serving personal about money and success of the fortunate customers and guests on the one side as well as to calm the sense of shame and guilt of the guests/customers on the other. (Foster, 1972; Lynn 1994).

This sentence is really convoluted and hard to understand.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 10:44 am
@cicerone imposter,
That's only due to my bad translation.

New and different try: tips are made because the servant/waiters shouldn't be jealous of the money and success of their customers resp. guests. Customers/guests give as well a high(er) tip because they want tp calm their sense of shame and guilt towards the serving persons.
(That's Foster on page 181 - I'm just believing the references in Speitkamp.)
Diane

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 04:12 pm
Dys and I are generous tippers because we understand the constant stress waitstaff live under and because we've both been dirt poor.

Tips can be very profitable depending on where you work. A friend of mine paid for her masters degree at Boston College by waitressing at a good restaurant and bar. Getting a little drunk tends to open up deep pockets. I also have to admit that she was very pretty. Most of her money came from drink orders.

One other note: I read that some restaurants keep the tips that are added to credit card bills. It suggested that tipping in cash is preferable, to protect the waitperson.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 06:18 pm
@Diane,
That;s a good point, Diane. I remember that my father used to do that. If he was paying the bill with a credit card he never added a tip to the total. He'd sign the check and hand it to the witress along with a cash tip. That was usually appreciated.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 06:47 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter, Thanks for the clarification.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 06:53 pm
@Diane,
Quote:
One other note: I read that some restaurants keep the tips that are added to credit card bills. It suggested that tipping in cash is preferable, to protect the waitperson.

I very much doubt this, at least in this day and age. At many of the restaurants I go to, most of the bills are paid by credit. If the waitstaff were getting stiffed on those tips, they'd quit -- it really wouldn't be worth working there.

I've a couple of friends nowadays who wait tables. They've never mentioned anything along these lines. Mebbe I'll remember to ask, but at least one of them bitches about ANYTHING and EVERYTHING, so I'm guessing it would have come up (especially when I've left their tip on the credit card slip)...
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:06 pm
@patiodog,
IF the waitstaff knows the numbers then owners won't cheat. when you pay at the front desk they may or may not.
patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
Hadn't thought of that. Can't think of anywhere I go any more that you don't pay at the table...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 07:54 pm
@hawkeye10,
we are pretty choosy when it comes to going out to a restaurant . we don't go often - less than once a month - unless we are cruising <GRIN > .
we've found a couple of local restaurants , rather small , seating about 40 to 50 people , excellent food at reasonable prices and very good and friendly waitstaff .
when i phone for a reservation - usually for lunch - we usually get a table by the window - sometimes even a "reserved" sign with our name on the table !
our bill is always quite moderate - no drinking and driving for me - but we are always given a very cordial welcome !
our tip : usually just a bit above 20 % .
more than once we've received a thank you letter from the owners and inviting us to two-for-one meal - can't ask for anything more .

while a good tip is always appreciated , a sincere thank you for good service always seems to be appreciated very much .
hbg

THE WARING HOUSE INN - one of our favourites - in Prince Edward County - near the "sandbanks" eastern lake ontario

http://www.ontariosfinestmeetings.com/images/inn_waring_top.jpg

msolga

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:03 pm
@hamburger,
I just can't figure out why employers don't pay waiting staff a proper wage for the work they do, in the first place. I mean, why should waiters be dependent on the whims of diners to achieve a decent salary? No doubt there are "historical reasons" for this, but it doesn't sound right to me. Confused
patiodog

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:04 pm
@msolga,
Frankly, most waiters, waitresses, and bartenders I know make a better living than they would if they were paid a standard service industry wage.
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:09 pm
@patiodog,
The standard service industry wage sounds as though it's way to low. That's my point. People can always choose to tip if they want to, but it shouldn't be an expected because wages are too low.
hawkeye10

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:13 pm
@msolga,
one reason is that they relieve themselve of risk, if there no customers the owner pays out little money.
msolga

Reply Tue 14 Oct, 2008 08:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
(I think I'd better butt out soon .... an entirely different set-up where I live ...) Does that mean that if business is brisk on particular days the waiters are paid more on those days?