Who are you ignoring?

mason738

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:17 pm
@mismi,
OH COME ON- Nimh, Cyclopitchorn and OccomBill are not mean-spirited and warped.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:23 pm
@mismi,
mismi wrote:

I have 5 - mainly because everytime I read a post by these folks they seem so acidic and sure of themselves. It annoys me. I am a pretty easy going gal. But when I found myself getting pissed off everytime I came across one of these 5 folks posts...it was time to put them on the ignore list.

A2K is for my leisure and to relax...not to get riled because of know it all's who are warped and mean-spirited to boot.

EXACTLY! I am glad someone else gets it.

So far, I haven't seen any ignored people show up. Smile
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:47 pm
@McGentrix,
I'm not on ignore? I'm crushed! Crushed I say!
Green Witch

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:49 pm
The people I have on ignore are people whom I feel are not contributing anything of substance. They just make inflammatory statements with the hope of stirring up a pot of trouble. They are not here to debate or discuss, but rather to annoy people with their silly statements and name calling. The exception to this is a certain person I have on ignore because I can't understand two thirds of what he posts and he clogs up threads like a wad of hair in a drain.
Below viewing threshold (view)
JPB

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 05:54 pm
no one.

I take breaks from A2K as needed. There was one time that a regular poster posted something that was so vile (to me) that I was shaking in rage. I realized at the time that is was a ridiculous response to an internet forum and knew it was time to step back. This person has never and will never know that her post caused such a response because it wasn't about her so much as it was about me and what I was getting from and giving to A2K.

You're right, mis -- this should be a place of refuge. When it becomes less than that then you need whatever tools are available to make it so. My 'vacation' preceded the days of the ignore button. I won't say there won't come a day when I decide to ignore certain posters but that day hasn't happened yet.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 06:25 pm
no one, and never will.
JTT

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 06:55 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
no one, and never will.

I applaud your good sense, Hawkeye and the good sense of others who take this approach.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:11 pm
Before yesterday, I had one person on ignore for posting what is probably the most offensive thread I've seen on either Abuzz or A2K. I did it in a fit of rage, so it's entirely possible that I'll un-ignore him/her later on.

Then today, after much deliberation, I added one more to the ignore list... not because he/she was posting stuff I disagree with or find offensive, but because in recent weeks every single of one of his/her posts has consisted of puerile name-calling in place of addressing the points that others are trying to discuss. If someone is going to make it their business not to contribute to discussions, I see no reason to read his/her posts.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:27 pm
@JPB,
I presume that's me.

I have several people on ignore light, and cycle them out as my pique wanes or their barrage does. If I had to make a choice, I'd let them all back in from the outfield. I like skipability in the meantime, though.

I've a few on serious ignore as trolls, now learning to vote them down first, once I'm sure re the troll thing in my own view.

I think these kind of answers can vary from a person posting once every few days or weeks to one who watches the threads all the time. Some of these kind of markdowns are simple serenity housekeeping.
JPB

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:29 pm
@ossobuco,
no, osso, it wasn't you.
wandeljw

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:30 pm
The other day I was thinking: "Whatever happened to......" Then, I realized that I had used the ignore button on that person.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:33 pm
@ossobuco,
Shapeless, you may be reacting to a troll folks have been speaking about who does all that on purpose. Several threads on that. Plus threads on the nature of trolling.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:37 pm
@JPB,
Ah, good. I figure I can get aggravating.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:38 pm
@ossobuco,
I've been following some of those threads and I don't think it's the same person. Fortunately, I tend not to spend too much time on the threads that that particular troll tends to frequent.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:42 pm
@Foxfyre,
Fox, I disagree with much of what you say, but at the very least you are polite - even when you insult us. I wouldn't dream of putting you on my "ignore" list. LOL
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:44 pm
@Shapeless,
One of the most immediate trolls is presenting as three or four people, with flipping povs. Some of the oldies recognize this person, or aver to by linguistic clues, but in any case, the posts can be offensive ---- and, to add to the quandary, sometimes they can be reasonable.

This is all part of the density of the discussion..
Below viewing threshold (view)
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:24 pm
@mason738,
Quote:
He ( MCCAIN) WAS A POW? A Gross insult to a brave airman which calls for a response--a tit for tat.

You wouldn't understand the irony if it punched you in the face. And that's the whole truth and nut'n but.
Ticomaya

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:26 pm
@McGentrix,
I have 4 trolls on ignore right now. I've decided to ignore them mainly because I find myself engaging (i.e., feeding) them otherwise. I've spent quite a bit of time and energy sparring with one of them over the years, but have decided to employ the ignore feature instead. It's worked out great so far.

(And no, c.i. is not one of them. Wink )
0 Replies