djjd62

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 07:47 am
ouch

that's gotta hurt
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 08:01 am
@mac11,
lets see if i can type this out and it be sensible..

I was cleaning my friends place and she has a knife holder much like this one '
http://aavaas.com/wp-content/uploads/knife-stand.gif
only hers is not nearly as tall, and she had a ginsu serrated knife like this one, but with MUCH bigger teeth
http://images.surlatable.com/surlatable/images/en_US/local/products/detail/462994.jpg

anyway, this knife is way too big for the holder and is stuck only half way in at the bottom. So, I started to wipe the counter under the knife while looking to the other side to stretch to put up a salt shaker or something

I feel my hand , well,,, my finger tips.. hitting the end of the knife holder several times so I stop, close the cabinet where Ijust put something into and look over at my hand. There is a TON of blood, and I panic.

I ran my finger across the bottom of that knife 3 distinct times with a few other smal scratches. But I didnt not know this then. All i see is a gaping hole in my finger and a piece ofbone.
Skin, fat and blood are hanging and dripping and Im freaked out.

I hop into the car and have to druve about 35 minutes to my doctors office/Er. Ian is out of town, and in his pocket is my health insurance card. My doctors office has all of that on record and I dojnt want to spend time later on calling and verifying anything so I choose to go to him.

Once they clean my finger I got a good look at what I did. HOLY HELL. I really did a number n it.
2 small stiches to hold the meat and stuff together on the inside, and 6 on the ouside.
This is a small area too. My right index finger from the very furst knuckle under your finger nail to the big knuckle in the center of your finger. THATS the area that was shredded up. The doc says he thnks I may have just severed the nerve on the first swipe and that is why I did not feel anything. Because I cant explain that.. it . did. not. hurt. WHich was [part of the freak out to begin with.
I felt nothng, yet saw muscle and bone. THAT just about made me fall over and faint. You are supposed to FEEL something, and I did not...yet there is a chunk of my finger hanging off thebone. (shudder)

anyway, it is possible that the feeling in the tip of my finger will be effected and , worse case, a slight loss of mobility in the tip of my finger. But I wont know this for several days.
I go back in 10 days to have the stitches removed and cleaned . That us when I can start moving my finger freely.
Right now my entire hand feels like fire and the top of my finger is still super tingly and numb. Making a fist makes me want to scream and cry but holding my hand flat I dont feel any pain at all.

eh.
Only me. Mrs Clumsy could pull this one off eh? hahahah
wandeljw

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:04 pm
@shewolfnm,
Wow! I hope the pain will go away soon, shewolf!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:24 pm
@shewolfnm,
Shocked

heck sheW...

quit scrunching up your hand gal... no no no pain.

heal soooooooooooooooooooon x
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 12:39 pm
@shewolfnm,
yew-ouch!!!

<wincing>

((( shewolf )))

<more wincing>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:24 pm
wolfie -

I once sliced my left index finger with a very sharp knife while cutting a pork roast. Gasped. I'm used to blood, but this was blood, and mine. Held it under the faucet while sort of yelling for my husband. ER, surg, cut tendon.

I can pretty much wiggle it now, some long time later.
I'm really sorry this happened for you.

You'll adapt, but you don't need this aggravation.

Your driving, I get that. Not sure it was wise, but I would have done that too.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 21 Nov, 2008 10:51 pm
@shewolfnm,
Oh, sweetie! I'm so glad you're ok. No fist-making for you.

And I appreciate the effort it must have taken to type that out (and find illustrative pics) with one hand. Take it easy!
Izzie

Reply Sat 22 Nov, 2008 07:01 pm
@mac11,
Hey SheW - how's the finger today gal? x
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 07:56 am
@shewolfnm,
Dear God. I hope you're at least feeling better today.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 11:14 am
@shewolfnm,
If I had to detail every clumsy event I had in the past few months, I would shame myself, family and friends. We've all done something that wasn't safe or sane, and I'm no exception. Cheer up! It will heal thy pride and injury as with all the others...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 12:34 pm
typing is painful.

I have pictures on my phone;... YES.. i made the docto pause after he put in the interna; stitches so that I could take apicture. Absolutely . I would not be me if I didnt Smile
So, when I learn how to take those off my phone, I will post them, because I cant explain very well how this looks.

my entire hand hurts.

Im on norco and that only 'helps' but im afraid to take anything else or take any more.

I feel hot pieces of fire shoot up myfinger throgh my forearm and sometimes all the way to the back of my ribcage. I can feel the entire 'trail' if you will.. of the nerve

I have no feeling in the tip of my finger and I have a feeling that may be permanent.
I removed the bandages yesterday and cleaned it for the first time. My finger looks like dead skin. Pale, super fat and cold . there is circulation, but not much I dont think. No bruising but I dont expect there to be.
oh well.
But im doing OK. I have several people who can take me to the store, or help with anything. I got a ride to pick her up from day care, get my meds, get some groceries...e tc. So we are doing well.

I even had a fire going yesterday. Jillians first Smile marshmallows included.

Her and Flash Gordon sat in front of it for almost an entire hour saying nothing. We had a nice quiet evening with hot chocolate, black crispy marshmallows and blankets. She has slept in my bed every night since Ian left and it is so nice. She is the perfect cuddling size........until she begins to talk in her sleep.. Or fight someting...or hitting.. Laughing
She grabbed my hand in her sleep last night which sent me screaming to the roof! scared the hell out of her too. Kinda funny .
There are many things I cant do , but basic stuff is fine. But.. WOW does this thing hurt.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 01:09 pm
@shewolfnm,
I think cleaning the open wound area regularly is important.
shewolfnm

Reply Sun 23 Nov, 2008 02:46 pm
@cicerone imposter,
every other day is best.

what is odd, is leaving it uncovered to 'air dry' for a bit.
Just looking at it makes me squeamish..
Izzie

Reply Thu 27 Nov, 2008 09:04 am
@shewolfnm,
Hey SheW, Mac, Pdiddiessssss and all in Houston

Wishing you all a great thanksgiving with you and yours - ENJOY. xxxxx
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 09:01 am
@shewolfnm,
Hey SheW

Hows ya digit healing?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:36 am
@JPB,
The party will be held in Bridge City on 12/20.

I'll be flying into Houston on the morning of the 18th, driving over to Bridge City sometime during the afternoon/evening of the 19th and flying out midday on the 21st.

I've got some running around to do in Houston before I head out on Friday but I'm open for the evening of the 18th or can meet up for lunch on Friday if anyone is available.

Hotel suggestions for Thursday night in Houston are welcome.
PDiddie

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2008 08:49 am
Why, we'll make ourselves available.

Poor Bridge City is still pretty ruined from Ike its own self, as you probably know. Some are still sleeping in tents waiting for FEMA trailers. People had to be rescued off their roofs from a 12-foot storm surge.

http://www.beaumontenterprise.com/news/local/bridge_city_might_be_a_disaster_area__but_for_many_folks__it_s_still_home_11-10-2008.html

Anyway, hotel recommendations from me would depend in which airport you're landing, or the part of town in you would like to stay, your budget, that sort of thing. Email me at pdiddie at gmail dot com and we'll make arrangements.