Houston - November 1st.

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:02 pm
I am taking a trip to Houston on November 1st and I plan on staying overnight.
The event I am attending starts at 7pm and does not end until 2 am.
What I am looking for is a real cheap hotel close by.
Since I am only using the room for sleep, and wont be staying in it beyond that, I dont want to go broke on paying for a room.

The address of the venue/party is -
27 Farrell Street
Houston, Texas 77022

Does anyone who lives in Houston know of some place affordable close to that address ?
When i go through the basic websites for hotels, they tell me their location, but I can not tell how close they are. And, all of the hotels in Houston, are not always found online..

Oh, side note
Anyone in houston wanna meet for an early-ish lunch Sunday?
Email me . shewolfnm at yahoo dot com.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 11 • Views: 7,232 • Replies: 108
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:04 pm
@shewolfnm,
I can't answer your question but when I need to find out stuff like this I go to goolemaps and type in the address I know then do a "search nearby". That should bring up everything in the area.

Have fun!
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:06 pm
@boomerang,
I did that. And the hotels that are online in that area are pricier then I can handle.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:25 pm
@shewolfnm,
edgarblythe is our resident Houstonite. I hope he sees this thread. I've visited Houston a couple of times but can't claim the kind of familiarity you need here. (Mainly I know how to get out of town and what roads to take to go to Galveston and spend a day at the beach. Smile)
shewolfnm

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:34 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Oh. Now that is a wonderful idea

houston is only about a 3 hour drive from here. I could spend Sunday day time at the beach, then just drive home from there.. ..
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:34 pm
@Merry Andrew,
Since I moved to Tomball, I rarely get to Houston any more. Last time was a trip to my daughter's home near Fountain View. I don't know about hotels and such. Maybe PDiddy knows something.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:39 pm
@shewolfnm,
Why not look for a "room for rent?" That one night might create some problems, but ya never know.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
mac11 also lives in Houston.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:47 pm
Try doing a search using the word motel rather than hotel. You might get a different price level. I just did a map thingy on that address and then did a specific search for Motel 6 and it came up with half a dozen locations within a 15 minute drive.

You may have trouble finding anything that is real inexpensive since there are so many people who lost their homes still staying in motels/hotels.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 02:50 pm
@shewolfnm,
I would love love love to meet you whenever it's convenient!

I don't know that part of town at all, but I can spend some time researching this evening.
roger

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 04:03 pm
@Merry Andrew,
It's always good to know how to get out of town, especially if you're in a hurry.
Merry Andrew

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 05:55 pm
@roger,
Problem is, to get to Galveston from Houston, you have to go right by Huntsville. That's where the Texas State Penitentiary is located, Smile
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 06:04 pm
@mac11,
mac11 wrote:

I would love love love to meet you whenever it's convenient!

Oh absolutely !!
It depends on how much time I want to spend away that weekend.. I may drive out early Saturday morning and stay all day, or just drive out in the afternoon on Saturday and make my Sunday day time free time..
but lunch? either day? would be wonderful
mac11

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 07:57 pm
@shewolfnm,
Lunch or brunch either day is workable for me. I'm looking forward to meeting you finally. Very Happy
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 08:10 pm
I like the search engine on hotels.com, because you can plug in a zip code and search for the closest hotels that way.

Here were the cheapest three (within 10 miles):

Eagle Inn $65 (closest of the three) - 866-539-0036

Super 8 Motel Brookhollow $49 - 866-559-9234

Baymont Inn Houston - Brookhollow $53 - 866-539-0036
ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2008 08:18 pm
@mac11,
I like hotels.com too.

One thing, if you see in a coffee shop, grocery store?, wherever, one of those travel ad thingies (booklet, guessing 6" x 8"), they often have coupons for certain motels, for example, super 8.

I seem to remember that Diane was told by a hotel receptionist that you should make the reservation and then show up with the coupon when you arrive., not vice versa (but don't trust me on that).
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 07:43 am
@shewolfnm,
Hey wolfie!

The near north side can be a little dicey for a gal (even one with with her burly husband and cute child); that's in the rough-and-tumble Aldine 'hood and unless you're looking for a hotsheet motel, any decent and clean room is gonna be a hundred bucks a night or more. Besides, the hotels and motels in Houston are filled with hurricane evacuees and insurance adjusters and so on ...

Why don't you stay with us? We're a ways away from that location and only have a trundle bed in the den/guest room, but there's room for two or three, it's not too bad on your back, and you'd have your own bathroom.

We could all meet Mac for brunch on Sunday ...
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 09:14 am
@shewolfnm,
I wouldn't suggest going to Galvenston right now - the area is devistated. A co-worker went there just a week ago to assist in helping those that lost their homes there. Even if you plan on just going to the beach, I would avoid that area - unless you want to help out.
PDiddie

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 11:14 am
@Linkat,
Yes, Galveston is essentially closed until furhter notice. We were planning on a little short cruise out of there the first week in December, after Dickens on the Strand ...

http://www.galvestonhistory.com/Dickens_on_The_Strand.asp

Had to cancel due to the economic meltdown currently in progress, and the cruise ships have all relocated up to the Port of Houston to try to salvage their year. It looks as if the festival may not happen, either.

Anyway. What do you say about staying with us, wolfie?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Oct, 2008 11:25 am
@PDiddie,
I was just thinking; I hope all of you folks posting here will come to our next Austin gathering. Since my calendar is pretty free for 2009, I wouldn't mind somebody suggesting dates.
0 Replies