The Democrats' contempt for democracy

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:10 am
The definition that I discovered for Strawman was
"Am argument intended to divert from the real issues"

If that is correct, the statement made by Setana-"Because it is a distortion of what liberalism means to those that espouse it? is meaningless.

The idea of Liberalism as expressed in my post was made by Judge Robert Bork in his book- Slouching towards Gomorrah'
and, of course, Setana would dub it as a "Strawman" argument because Judge Bork, who, IN MY OPINION, is much more qualified to comment on what Liberalism really is, demeans Setanta's fairy tale version of Liberalism.

That is why he calls it "strawman"
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:13 am
It is apparent that Joe from Chicago does not realize who the Pontiff is. When the Pontiff pontificates, that is, IN MY OPINION, useful pontificating.

Joe from Chicago apparently does not understand the difference. I have heard that the University of Michigan Law School is secular and does not accept any religious commentary except that of Elijah Muhammad. That may explain Joe from Chicago's confusion about pontificating.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:16 am
Mr. De Kere: I have just been informed that I may refer to the Guidelines whenever I please.

May I suggest that your attempt to censor me does not agree with the guidelines. Therefore, I will continue to abide by them.

I did not realize that adherence to rules caused problems. May I respectfully suggest that rules that are not followed are worthless.

Who must be contacted to have the rules revoked?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:19 am
Lightwizard indicates that I should not "Strafe the forum with your verbal bullets".

Lightwizard obvioulsly believes that his comments are Rose Petals and other people's comments are "verbal bullets".

I shall make a note to point out your "verbal bullets", Lightwizard.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:20 am
Italgato wrote:
Mr. De Kere: I have just been informed that I may refer to the Guidelines whenever I please.

May I suggest that your attempt to censor me does not agree with the guidelines. Therefore, I will continue to abide by them.

I did not realize that adherence to rules caused problems. May I respectfully suggest that rules that are not followed are worthless.

Who must be contacted to have the rules revoked?

Um, that would be Mr. De Kere, the site owner. Smile
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:23 am
I should have pointed out to Joe from Chicago that the nomination of J. S. Mill as the patron saint of Liberalism came from Judge Robert H. Bork.

It is clear that Joe from Chicago does not agree with Judge Bork's definition. I am sorry. I only wish that Joe from Chicago would have been able to attend classes at Yale Law School so he could have learned from Judge Bork.

Joe from Chicago doesn't think that Mill is the patron saint of Liberalism.

Judge Bork does.

Guess whose expertise wins in that argument?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:27 am
Mr. DeKere:Is it possible to have the Guidelines for Debate revoked.

It is most confusing to read a set of Guidelines and then be told they don't have to be followed.

Forgive me if I don't understand but may I know why the Guidelines were written in the first place?

What was the objective?

Is the situation such at this time that the Guidelines need not be followed?

If so, may we please be informed.

I know that you informed me personally but I don't think you would be unfair to set me apart from everyone else, would you?

I think I detect a scrupulous intent for fairness and justice on your part.

Am I incorrect?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:31 am
I am distressed that you feel as you do about Judge Posner's works, Joe from Chicago.

You really ought to give him a chance. I know you probably won't do this but if you are still in touch with any of your former professors at Law School, ask them if Posner is worth reading.

Not whether they agree with him but whether he is worth reading!!!
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 03:43 am
Joe from Chicago takes me to task not for giving an Opinion that the Attorneys from the ACLU are half-educated but that it is a generalization and, Joe from Chicago correctly points out that generalizations are discouraged by the guidelines.

Very well- In his book, Slouching Towards Gomorrah, Judge Bork writes

P. 152

"The head of the ACLU announced in a panel discussion that the Supreme Court's failure to throw protection around nude dancing in night clubs was a terrible blow to our freedom of speech"
It is my OPINION that only a half-educated person can make a statement saying that the Supreme Court has failed in such a case.

If one looks at the backgrounds of the ACLU lawyers it will be clear that most of them did not have the brains and background to be hired by big-law- one of the top hundred law firms in the country- so they gravitated to the dreg house- The ACLU building.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 04:03 am
I think the guidelines indicate that there should be no personal attacks, Lightwizard.

You comment that I am on a soap box and lightheaded because I am so high is a personal attack. Wouldn't you do better to stick to substance and issues?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 04:14 am
I am of the Opinion that Plain old me is suffering from the delusion that all lawyers are equal in talent and training. That is not true.

There are sub-standard law school, Plainoldme.

Check the US News and World Report for details.

Some lawyers that have been out of school five or six years make close to $200,000 a year if they are working in a top 100 firm.

Some lawyers are making $30,000 a year in Traffic Court if they graduated from a diploma mill.

If Plain Old Me goes to Martindale-Hubbell web site and clicks on to the list of lawyers in almost any top 100 firm, Plain Old me will discover that 80% of the lawyers come from the top fifty law schools.

The rest? most of them chase ambulances.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 04:16 am
Those who don't want to chase Ambulances end up in the ACLU.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 06:48 am
I don't surreptitiously use up my ammunition like someone who is suffering from multiple post syndrome. I already apologized for the humorous comment about you're being light headed but apparently you suffer from sleep deprivation. I'm sorry you can't sleep.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 08:42 am
Italgato wrote:
Those who don't want to chase Ambulances end up in the ACLU.

Isn't that a generalization?

And wasn't Gato the one giving boring lectures on not making generalizations?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 08:45 am
It could also be said that they become politicians -- anyone care to examine the schooling and professional experience of the very high percentage of our politicians who are lawyers?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 09:21 am
Italgato wrote:
I should have pointed out to Joe from Chicago that the nomination of J. S. Mill as the patron saint of Liberalism came from Judge Robert H. Bork.

I must have missed that press release.

Italgato wrote:
It is clear that Joe from Chicago does not agree with Judge Bork's definition. I am sorry. I only wish that Joe from Chicago would have been able to attend classes at Yale Law School so he could have learned from Judge Bork.

It is indeed gratifying to know that you are wishing such good things on my behalf, gato.

Italgato wrote:
Joe from Chicago doesn't think that Mill is the patron saint of Liberalism. Judge Bork does. Guess whose expertise wins in that argument?

Mine. I win! I win!

Italgato wrote:
I am distressed that you feel as you do about Judge Posner's works, Joe from Chicago.

I am saddened to learn that I am the cause of your distress.

Italgato wrote:
You really ought to give him a chance. I know you probably won't do this but if you are still in touch with any of your former professors at Law School, ask them if Posner is worth reading.

As I have mentioned several times already in other threads, I have read a good deal of Posner's writings. I don't think I need to give him a chance: I already have given him a chance. In general, I find many of his judicial opinions to be quite solid, as well as entertainingly written (a rare combination). I find his theoretical works on the economic underpinnings of the law to be thought-provoking, but ultimately unpersuasive.

Italgato wrote:
Very well- In his book, Slouching Towards Gomorrah, Judge Bork writes

I see we have a new contender for the "Posner citation award."

Italgato wrote:
"The head of the ACLU announced in a panel discussion that the Supreme Court's failure to throw protection around nude dancing in night clubs was a terrible blow to our freedom of speech"
It is my OPINION that only a half-educated person can make a statement saying that the Supreme Court has failed in such a case.

And you base your opinion on what?

Italgato wrote:
If one looks at the backgrounds of the ACLU lawyers it will be clear that most of them did not have the brains and background to be hired by big-law- one of the top hundred law firms in the country- so they gravitated to the dreg house- The ACLU building.

Most? Very well. Then you should have no difficulty in identifying three.

Italgato wrote:
There are sub-standard law school, Plainoldme. Check the US News and World Report for details.

The US News & World Reports rankings are not authoritative, by any means. Indeed, they are highly suspect. As one study concluded: There are many serious problems with the US News system for evaluating law schools. Far from being an objective measure of relative merits, the US News rankings are highly subjective and open to a variety of biases. Rather than gato's confidence, then, one should view the rankings with a good deal of caution.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 10:32 am
Well,Now that all of you have argued like a bunch of 4 year olds,can we get back to the point of this whole discussion?
If you want to continue to bicker and argue,please go somewhere else and let the grownups talk.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 11:18 am
Wow, 11 in a row this time. a new record! Confused
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 12:56 pm
I was sorta disappointed. I thought he'd make a dozen. Well, I guess its good to set a goal just out of reach. I'm sure we can count on another attempt at the summit when he's rested.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 01:15 pm
Even numbers are a liberal plot. Wink
0 Replies