The Democrats' contempt for democracy

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:20 pm
Btryfly: It is my OPINION that the "quality of discussion" is impeded rather than helped by the unsourced and undocumented commentary made by some.

The words- "Strawman" and "Projection" are interesting but, In my OPINION, a most lazy way to try to dispose of an Argument.

It is my OPINION that a far better way to improve the "quality of discussion" that you mention is TO ADHERE TO THE POSTED GUIDELINES AND TO VERIFY. By no means should the posts be limited to "verification". If one needs to post and comment without verification- the guidelines are clear- STATE THAT IT IS YOUR OPINION ONLY.

The last posting by Joe from Chicago is clearly a violation of the qudielines. He gives us a mishmosh of commentary without "verification" and then leaves without following the guidelines that his comments are ONLY OPINION>

I must respectfully request that Joe from Chicago read the GUIDELINES. If he is unable to find them, I will be glad to replicate them.

If he chooses not to follow them, the only response can be- "Guidelines not followed, OPINION not utlized in its place"- Duly noted.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:21 pm
Italgato,

A2K already has a fine set of people designated as Moderators. They do a fantastic job of it. They'd be the first ones to ask for assistance if they needed our help in ensuring each and every line in a post adhered to the policies of this message board community.

Until then, how about participating in the discussion rather then the moderating of these boards, eh?

If you'd like to become a Moderator, you should send a PM to Moderator and ask for an application.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:23 pm
Italgato wrote:
I see Joe from Chicago skipped the quote from Laura Fermi's biography.

No, gato, I was just trying to keep up with the blistering pace of your postings. As you can see above, I eventually got around to it.

Italgato wrote:
I wonder if it is too much for Joe from Chicago to handle??

No, I'm fine. Thanks for your concern.

Italgato wrote:
You should have tried Harvard or Yale, Joe, they would have given you the tools you need.

Well, I know Yale makes locks. I didn't know they made tools.

Italgato wrote:
So sorry!!!

Apology accepted.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:24 pm
Please Joe from Chicago- Read the Guidelines.

When I said that it is my OPINION that the ACLU's lawyers are half-way educated in the law, I am following the guidelines. The guidelines say:

'If your claim is something you are unable to verify, note that it is only your OPINION.

I did that and would respectfully suggest that you do the same.

It is MY OPINION that commentaries like Strawman and Projection are premier examples of useless pontificating.

Read the Guidelines- Joe from Chicago.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:24 pm
The quideline policeman once again shows up with barrels ablaze. Who appointed him? He appointed himself.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:26 pm
Butryflynet:

I am not moderating. I do not want to moderate. I am following the Guidelines.

You are apparently suffering under the delusion that the Guidelines are written for the Moderators.

THEY ARE NOT!!!

They are written for those who would post on this venue.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:28 pm
Italgato,

Your attempt to "enforce" the guidelines is simply absurd. There is no need to label each and every opinion as one. Some opinions are obviously such.

Would you demand that everyone tell their wives:

"It is my OPINION that you are beautiful."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:28 pm
Ben Shapiro wrote:
If you believe in liberalism -- the idea that the economy should be heavily controlled, that resources should be distributed "fairly," that opportunities should be allocated by a central authority -- then you hate the idea of an independent American populace.

Joe described this as a strawman argument. It is not useless pontificating to point out that such a distorted statement of what those who believe in liberalism actually do believe is a strawman. What is really ludicrous, is to read your pontification about the guidelines while you accuse others of pontification. Joe's statement about a strawman argument is not his opinion, it is his cogent description of the technique with which Shapiro begins this attempt to cozen the gullible.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:29 pm
Dear Mr. Lightwizard:

I need your help.

Please contact the "powers that be" on this venue to ask them whether I can be exempted from following the Guidelines.

If you cannot or willnot,I must regretfully inform you that I will continue to follow the Guidelines.

I DID NOT WRITE THE GUIDELINES.

If others do not care to follow the Guidelines, they are, of course, free to do as they wish. But please do not indicate to me that I am proscribed from pointing out that Guidelines exist.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:32 pm
Setanta: I am very much afraid that I don't understand WHY it is a "Strawman" argument.

Would you be so good as to specifically indicate, with verification, of course, as to just why it is a strawman argument?

Thank You.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:35 pm
Because it is a distortion of what liberlism means to those who espouse it. I'm curious as to why you need to have that repeated so often in order to understand it? Are you new at the rhetorical method? Do you have reading comprehension problems? That's not an ad hominem, i'm genuinely puzzled, because the text Joe selected is a patently obvious strawman argument, and i've now explained why it is for the third time.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:36 pm
Italgato,

We appreciate your profound repect for the Guidelines. Please note that a new clause has been added:

The Guidelines wrote:
The Italgato Clause:

Please do not make ridiculous attempts to misinterpret the above guidelines. Furthermore do not attempt to enforce these guidelines yourself. They are for your edification and not intended to empower feeble arguments. Leave the enforcement of the rules to the Moderators.

If your membername is Italgato you should make no reference to the guidelines whatsoever.

I fully expect that your deep and admirable veneration of the guidelines will continue, embracing this clause with vigor.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:37 pm
Thank You- Mr. De Kere:

I have written your suggestion down:

SOME OPINIONS ARE OBVIOUSLY SUCH.

I am so sorry that I tend to take Guidelines literally.

Would I be violating the rules if I pointed out "OPINIONS WHICH ARE OBVIOUSLY SUCH"?

Thank you, Mr. De Kere.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:37 pm
You've done so, ad nauseum -- if an opinion relies on factual information because it is specifically necessary to make that point, ask for the specific reference. Otherwise, it does no good to strafe the forum with your verbal bullets. It's a transparent diversion and I for one would also appreciate it IF YOU WOULD STOP SHOUTING to make your point.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:38 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Italgato,

We appreciate your profound repect for the Guidelines. Please note that a new clause has been added:

The Guidelines wrote:
The Italgato Clause:

Please do not make ridiculous attempts to misinterpret the above guidelines. Furthermore do not attempt to enforce these guidelines yourself. They are for your edification and not intended to empower feeble arguments. Leave the enforcement of the rules to the Moderators.

If your membername is Italgato you should make no reference to the guidelines whatsoever.

I fully expect that your deep and admirable veneration of the guidelines will continue, embracing this clause with vigor.

Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:39 pm
(Do I need any links to factual information to support my statement. Not.)
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:40 pm
Italgato wrote:
Please Joe from Chicago- Read the Guidelines.

Gato, given your constant quotations from the guidelines, I feel as if I've already read them several times over. I feel the same way about Richard Posner's works.

Italgato wrote:
When I said that it is my OPINION that the ACLU's lawyers are half-way educated in the law, I am following the guidelines. The guidelines say:

'If your claim is something you are unable to verify, note that it is only your OPINION.

But don't the guidelines also "frown upon generalizations"? I did not criticize you for stating an opinion, I rather expressed some surprise that you'd indulge in a generalization so soon after criticizing me for purportedly doing the same.

Italgato wrote:
I did that and would respectfully suggest that you do the same.

Very well. Whenever I am stating an opinion, I will make a gesture with my hand thus [indicating]. When I have finished stating my opinion, I will make the same gesture, only in retrograde motion, like so [indicating].

Italgato wrote:
It is MY OPINION that commentaries like Strawman and Projection are premier examples of useless pontificating.

So you're saying that you give some examples of useful pontificating?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:43 pm
Useful pontification:

Go forth, my son, and sin no more.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:44 pm
I find it hard to deny the entertainment value of rants such as these, for however idiotic they may be.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:44 pm
Italgato is pontificating from a mile high soapbox and the air is rather thin up there. I think it is making him lightheaded.
0 Replies