The Democrats' contempt for democracy

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:49 pm
Is there a need to jump on his case though? I think Craven made the point and didn't really need the further dogpile.

LW, your post is nothing but a personal attack. Stop, please.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:50 pm
Joe from Chicago's screed about Liberalism brings the following to mind:

"There is a popular notion that expanding the sphere of liberty is always a net gain. That is quite obviously wrong. If it were true, our ultimate goal should be the elimination of all law and all restraints imposed by social disapproval"

and

"The idea of liberty has continuous change built into it, precisely because it is hostile to constraints.

Men seek the removal of the constraint nearest them. But when that one falls, men are brought against the next constraint, which is now felt to be equally irksome...What liberalism has constantly moved away from are the constraints imposed by religion, morality, law, family and community."

and

The patron saint of LIberalism> J.S. Mill noted:

"The only liberty I mean is a liberty connected with order; that not only exists along with order and virtue, but which cannot exist at all without them"

It is my OPINION, that William Clinton, may have read Mill at Yale Law School( there is a Yale Law School, you know) but either forgot what he read or let the brains below his belt trump over the brains in his head.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:50 pm
So as not to be miscontrued, my remark about an idiotic rant refers to Mr. Shapiro.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:52 pm
Ah, you are so sensitive McGentrix. It was meant as a joke but if you are that serious, I'm sorry.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:53 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Ah, you are so sensitive McGentrix. It was meant as a joke but if you are that serious, I'm sorry.

Dude, you'll make me cry! :wink: Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:55 pm
I won't say what would really make you cry as it may be taken as a personal attack.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:58 pm
It seems to me that Setana is miffed because he could not respond to the challenge.

I wonder if he considers the quote from JS Mill a rant?

The designation "rant" in my OPINION is used by people who are at a complete loss to rebut ideas.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:03 pm
Italgato wrote:

I know that Sir Thomas More is the patron saint of the politicans (proposed by Pope John Paul II on November 5, 2000).

I wonder, if "Three Essays on Religion: Nature, the Utility of Religion, and Theism" were enough to make him a saint.
(And since I've seen his former office in the India Office - it's no place of pilgrimage at all.)
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:05 pm
My half aplogies- Setanta- I thought that the rant referred to my posts.

I give a half apology since Shapiro's contribution still stands.

His arguments have not been rebutted.

Thank you, McGentrix, for the fine contribution.

The ability of some to utlize a "pithy" phrase and then think they have disposed of the argument made was clearly displayed on another post when the redoutable Canadian attempted to answer a well thought out thesis set up by George OB with
"pshaw".

Very disappointed insofar as I wished to see if the Candadian could really respond to George's argument.

It is my opinion that debate is not served by useless comments but it enlivened by the careful marshalling of facts which attempt to rebut specific statements.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:06 pm
Mr. Hinteler:

Huh????
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:08 pm
Italgato wrote:
Mr. Hinteler:

Huh????

Question

Did I write so many mistakes that you couldn't understand my response?

Sorry about that.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:26 pm
Italgato wrote:
Joe from Chicago's screed about Liberalism brings the following to mind:

I don't recall engaging in any kind of "screed" about liberalism. Nor did I engage in a rant, lecture, sermon, tirade, harangue, philippic, or jeremiad about liberalism. Unless, of course, simply pointing out the falsity of a proffered definition of "liberalism" constitutes a "screed." In which case I must confess my guilt.

Italgato wrote:

When did John Stuart Mill become the patron saint of liberalism? I didn't vote for him. (und Walter, ich habe Deine Post vollig verstanden)

Italgato wrote:
"The only liberty I mean is a liberty connected with order; that not only exists along with order and virtue, but which cannot exist at all without them"

What's your point, gato?

Italgato wrote:
It is my OPINION, that William Clinton, may have read Mill at Yale Law School( there is a Yale Law School, you know) but either forgot what he read or let the brains below his belt trump over the brains in his head.

Why would anyone read Mill in law school?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:34 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
...und Walter, ich habe Deine Post vollig verstanden ...

http://images.animfactory.com/animations/web_text_e_g/gold_twist/cool_md_wht.gif
Laughing
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:34 pm
So, ACLU lawyers are only half way educated in the law? What a silly statement! In every state, the rules for licensing attorneys are pretty much the same. They must be a graduate of an accredited law school, a minimum of three years' study. Then they must pass the Bar exam. There is no half way. Use phrases that mean something.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:35 pm
Italgato wrote:
It seems to me that Setana is miffed because he could not respond to the challenge.

Arrrr, Setanter, ye be a yaller scurvey dog an' no fitter to be keelhauled 'round a East Indiaman than a one-legged Spanish doxy if ye be not acceptin' this here challenge. An' then the loser will be tied to the yardarm like the Jolly Roger afore bein' made to walk the plank!!!

(offered in honor of International Talk Like a Pirate Day, 9/19/03)
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:39 pm
Joe, you must know this is national talk like a pirate day!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:40 pm
Here ya go, Italgato ... hope this helps:

Logical Fallacies

(edit OOPS ... screwed up the link. I think its fixed now. Sorry, I just gotta use Preview more, or quit typin' everything in in QuickReply Embarrassed Rolling Eyes Embarrassed )
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:40 pm
IG, you're a piece of work. You want me to refute a strawman argument? heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . . pointing out that a statement is a strawman argument is the refutation. Not really good at this sort of thing, are you?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 02:42 pm
High-larious, Joe, posilutely high-larious . . .
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 02:47 am
Joe from Chicago- I must tell you that Yale, which is listed by the US News and World Report as the best Law School in the country offers Courses which they have probably never heard of at places like Michigan.

Those who are brilliant enough to be elected to Law Review do, I assure you, read Mill. You are referred to Yale Law Journal- January 1977-specifically the article -
"Political Illiberalism"
0 Replies