Let 'er crash and burn, we'll go for ...

JTT

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 08:55 pm
I think the McCain camp has resigned themselves to a "Let Sarah crash and burn, we'll go for the compassionate vote.

From the little that she's shown, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell that she is going to do anything but embarrass herself in the debate. Maybe another disaster will arise and Biden will have to jet off somewhere. Sarah can then debate with herself. It's the only chance she has.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:01 pm
@JTT,
That's the same conclusion I reached; there is no way in hell to prepare her in just several days for the debate. She's going to try to BS her way through, but those paying attention will see through it; while some will agree with it.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:06 pm
@JTT,
Oh, I disagree. I think she is already practicing her snarky one liners. She is going to attack Biden relentlessly. Dont look for substantive answers though. The debate format wasnt designed for that.
JTT

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:15 pm
@FreeDuck,
I think that snarky one liners will wear thin pretty fast, FreeDuck. As she's asked to explain things in depth, she'll drown in her own verbiage.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:16 pm
@FreeDuck,
Intelligent women will not let her get away with it. Palin is already in doomsville, but she doesn't know it yet, because so many have given her only positive feedbacks. She's going to learn how tough it is to fool all the people all the time...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:27 pm
@FreeDuck,
Experience counts here, too, though. Point by point, he's going to have to decide whether to counter attack, take the inititive, or let her beat herself to death. As E-Brown noted elsewhere, the object is not to win the debate; it's to win the election. I've a high personal regard for Biden, but don't expect him to let himself be walked on.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:29 pm
@roger,
All Biden needs to do to win is answer the questions directly, then shut up.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:33 pm
@roger,
Oh, I dont. In fact, I think he it is actually lucky that its him. What I think he will do is answer the questions with specificity and pick his battles. I dont know if he will play her game or call her out, though. Thats still in question.

What I hope to see is Palin come out swinging and Biden making her look foolish by calmly deflecting the worst attacks and directing counter attacks to her weaknesses, all while making the audience feel like he is your favorite uncle. I dont know how long she can keep it up without an applauding audience of supporters.
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:45 pm
@FreeDuck,
If the vp debate is as well-behaved as the one last week, Palin's in big trouble, because she won't get the continuous feedback of approval from her audience. Her twisted smile will turn off more people, as she tries to BS her way through, and make her look sillier than ever. As she grins, "you, know, our economy needs to help the middle class, and the $700 billion will help everybody in our country....with jobs, health care, and you know, baby sitting...."
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:47 pm
@FreeDuck,
This will be David and Goliath. Davy's got no slingshot, no smarts, no experience, a sophomoric approach to discussion.

Dare I say, not too vpish at all. She appeals to conservative bots but then GWB did too. Hell there's still 26% out there that support him. Go figure.

JTT

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 09:55 pm
@JTT,
Quote:

Palin, A Journalism Major, Can't Name A News Source She Reads

Sarah Palin said she does not support the morning after pill as a form of contraception, strongly implied that homosexuality was a choice, and could not name a single source of news that she turns to for information, in yet another installment of her interview series with Katie Couric.

Appearing on CBS Evening News, the Alaska Governor seemed calmer than she had been in previous sit downs. But while she only occasionally provided the type of befuddled responses that had even conservatives scratching their heads, her interview was nevertheless shaky.

Asked what newspapers and magazines she reads, Palin - a journalism major in college - could not name one publication.

"I've read most of them, again with a great appreciation for the press, for the media," she said at first. Couric responded, "What, specifically?"

"Um, all of them, any of them that have been in front of me all these years."

"Can you name a few?"

"I have a vast variety of source where we get our news," Palin said. "Alaska isn't a foreign country, where it's kind of suggested, 'wow, how could you keep in touch with what the rest of Washington, D.C., may be thinking when you live up there in Alaska?' Believe me, Alaska is like a microcosm of America."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/30/palin-a-journalism-major_n_130707.html

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2008 11:53 pm
Im not sure that its going to be such a disaster as you speak. Joe Biden can be a source of embarrasment if he keeps going on , and if he goes on one of his Mark Twain style attacks, then HE wont look Presidential either.

Theres going to be a lot of tight rope walking by Sen Joe, and if Sarah does the smart thing and agrees with him in certain substantive issues where McCain and Obama sort of agree, shes just playing "safety".

I reallydont want a train wreck to break out , just a sense that Biden is obviously better suited to be a President -in-waiting than is she.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 10:18 am
@farmerman,
If the right questions are asked, and both are required to answer each question, I don't see the benefit for Palin in any way. She can't even answer which publications she reads; couldn't name one.

Besides, Biden will not be the first one to answer all questions.
hamburger

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
you might recall the answer predident bush gave when asked how he gets his news :

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/143851_thomas15.html

Quote:
Wednesday, October 15, 2003

No wonder Bush doesn't connect with the rest of the country

By HELEN THOMAS
HEARST NEWSPAPERS

WASHINGTON -- President Bush recently gave an hour-long exclusive interview to Fox TV anchor Brit Hume, who tossed him a series of softball questions.

Among them, Bush was asked how he gets his news. Answer: He relies on briefings by chief of staff Andrew Card and national security affairs adviser Condoleezza Rice.

He walks into the Oval Office in the morning, Bush said, and asks Card: "What's in the newspapers worth worrying about? I glance at the headlines just to kind of (get) a flavor of what's moving," Bush said. "I rarely read the stories," he said.

perhaps not knowing about newspapers might not hurt palin's chances either - remember : president bush was re-elected .
hbg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:47 am
@hamburger,
But Bush has a smirk and laughing style that shakes his shoulders with each laugh that makes him seem more "human." Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Drunk
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:49 am
"pride comes before the fall".

and it can work for you or against you. i'm kind os suspitious of palin's seeming ineptitude. maybe it's paranoia. maybe it's too many years of gamesman politics or just too many years of roveian tactics.

on the surface i have absolutely no reason to discount any possibility at all of palin showing up with a whole bag of pre-fab mojo; of the kind that joe sixpack (her words) will gobble up, regardless of real content.

but she could show up, remove her veil of ignorance and give biden a real thumping. with real substance.

point is, it's probably a mistake to count her out before the plus size lady warbles.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:49 am
@cicerone imposter,
c.i. wrote :

Quote:
But Bush has a smirk and laughing style that shakes his shoulders with each laugh that makes him seem more "human."

when i saw president bush on TV last night ,he looked rather pale - no texas tan - something worrying him ?
hbg
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 11:56 am
@hamburger,
What can possibly worry Bush? He's the best example of the pre-Palin who always had confidence they're good for the country. If Bush's rating is the lowest in US history, wait until McCain-Palin takes over. Good-bye US.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 02:10 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

What can possibly worry Bush? He's the best example of the pre-Palin who always had confidence they're good for the country. If Bush's rating is the lowest in US history, wait until McCain-Palin takes over. Good-bye US.

the only thing that bush has ever worried about is his legacy.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 02:17 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Done a yeoman's job too, don't you think? Must be right, because some conservatives still believe he's done a good job, and almost half of voters think McCain is made of the same "stuff." They're both good to respond to crisis - like Katrina and the current money crisis. Gives me a whole lot of confidence and feely goods.