Let 'er crash and burn, we'll go for ...

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 02:26 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Done a yeoman's job too, don't you think? Must be right, because some conservatives still believe he's done a good job, and almost half of voters think McCain is made of the same "stuff." They're both good to respond to crisis - like Katrina and the current money crisis. Gives me a whole lot of confidence and feely goods.

well, they both seem to have a love of a dramatic photo-op.

gosh, ci; wouldn't it be sooo groovy if we could all just link arms together, sing kumbaya and cure all of the world's ills with a really fantastic photo-op?

oh, brother... the cynical images going through my mind right now are horrifying.

it is hard for me to see much difference between the two; other than mccain actually did serve in the real military, in a real war and suffered real pain. bushy? ehh, not so much. unless we count the hang overs from "serving" in a champagne squadron. for a few hours.
barackman28

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 04:02 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
McCain doesn't have the right to singKumbya!
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 05:17 pm
This thread reminds me of a scene from a Nat Geo documentary; A band of chimps whooping and hollering, showing their teeth, and beating the ground with tree branches long after the threat that's triggered their response is gone.

Palin is not going to come out tomorrow night and throw off a disguise worn for the Katie Couric interview, and trounce Biden.

She is also not going to be reduced to an incoherent mess.

I'll be surprised if she emerges the clear winner, unless Biden goes off the reservation as he has repeatedly demonstrated he is capable of doing.

All it will take is for him to start feeling like he's on a roll, and that he needn't keep his coaching in mind.

I don't think Biden will attack Palin, and I don't think Palin will attack Biden, but I will be surprised if he doesn't come across as condescending.

The expectations for Palin are so low, that unless she falls on the floor in a fetal position she'll do OK.

Biden, on the other hand is expected to take her to school.He can't tie her, he has to trounce her and he has to do so with class. Tough order.

I think her detractors will be surprised and disappointed after tomorrow night.

I also doubt the Obama campaign won't be holding it's collective breath while Uncle Joe roams free.

If Palin does crash and burn, its curtains for McCain absent a terrorist attack on LA.

It was a gamble he had to take.If it doesn't pay off, at least he had the balls to go All In.

Imagine, however, Hillary Clinton vs Sarah Palin. That would have been a blood bath, considering that Hillary whupped Obama in the debates.

Should Obama lose, and at this point I don't think he will, his fear and loathing of Hillary will be The Story.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 06:01 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

This thread reminds me of a scene from a Nat Geo documentary; A band of chimps whooping and hollering, showing their teeth, and beating the ground with tree branches long after the threat that's triggered their response is gone.

i know ya can't help yourself, so i'll take this as a friendly salutation.

Palin is not going to come out tomorrow night and throw off a disguise worn for the Katie Couric interview, and trounce Biden.

i don't think so either, but i felt like the prospect was worth considering.

She is also not going to be reduced to an incoherent mess.

I'll be surprised if she emerges the clear winner, unless Biden goes off the reservation as he has repeatedly demonstrated he is capable of doing.

All it will take is for him to start feeling like he's on a roll, and that he needn't keep his coaching in mind.

I don't think Biden will attack Palin, and I don't think Palin will attack Biden, but I will be surprised if he doesn't come across as condescending.

The expectations for Palin are so low, that unless she falls on the floor in a fetal position she'll do OK.

Biden, on the other hand is expected to take her to school.He can't tie her, he has to trounce her and he has to do so with class. Tough order.

I think her detractors will be surprised and disappointed after tomorrow night.
i won't be disappointed if she comes out of it in one piece. it would be bad for everybody if she has to be med evaced.

I also doubt the Obama campaign won't be holding it's collective breath while Uncle Joe roams free.

If Palin does crash and burn, its curtains for McCain absent a terrorist attack on LA.

It was a gamble he had to take.If it doesn't pay off, at least he had the balls to go All In.

Imagine, however, Hillary Clinton vs Sarah Palin. That would have been a blood bath, considering that Hillary whupped Obama in the debates.

don't know if whupped is the right word, but she was the winner from where i sat. obama's gotten a lot better because of it

Should Obama lose, and at this point I don't think he will, his fear and loathing of Hillary will be The Story.

the rest i think is entirely credible.

0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 06:17 pm
this is interesting. from the christian science monitor, and linked from the tasty new blog, Observationalism;

Quote:

WHAT IT'S LIKE TO DEBATE SARAH PALIN
I know firsthand: She's a master of the nonanswer.

By Andrew Halcro
from the October 1, 2008 edition

...With shorter question-and-answer times and limited interaction between the two, he (Biden) should simply ignore Palin in a respectful manner on the stage and answer the questions as though he were alone. Any attempt to flex his public-policy knowledge and show Palin is not ready for prime time will inevitably cast him in the role of the bully.

http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/1001/p09s01-coop.html

the article gives a general view of palin's debate style.

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 06:36 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
True; all Biden needs to do is not do what McCain did to Obama. Biden should smile and look at Palin often during the debate, but just stick to answering the question posed.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 06:53 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

True; all Biden needs to do is not do what McCain did to Obama. Biden should smile and look at Palin often during the debate, but just stick to answering the question posed.

yup. so now we're right back where we started. Laughing

in any case, i'm looking forward to the debate manana. it looks like most of us agree that it's gonna be a game changer.
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2008 08:01 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
"All" indications would tell us that Palin is way over her head, but perceptions are funny things. Many conservatives think she's ready for not only veep but the presidency.
dlowan

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:02 am
@DontTreadOnMe,
So...when does this epic gladiatorial contest begin?
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:38 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

"All" indications would tell us that Palin is way over her head, but perceptions are funny things. Many conservatives think she's ready for not only veep but the presidency.

yeah, and they thought the same thing about bushy. look where it got us. BAH!
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:42 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

So...when does this epic gladiatorial contest begin?

tonight (thursday) at 6pm pst. seems to be the hour that us yanks like best to throw their pols to the lions. Laughing

as you can see, we have diverse opinions on who's who in the thing.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:44 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
But we have to give credit where credit is due: Bush essentially destroyed the republican party (in addition to many other things). Some republicans still adore Bush.
DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 01:29 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

But we have to give credit where credit is due: Bush essentially destroyed the republican party (in addition to many other things). Some republicans still adore Bush.

i certainly will give him credit for that! now maybe they can rebuild the party in it's former, not crazy, image. it's not that i don't think there are any good conservative ideas, there's some really good ones. but the past 30 years have seen the gop go from what i saw as a pragmatic and educated party to a wildly hysterical band of anti-tax & religious zealots that will consistantly put forward and vote for "the guy that fits the suit". and still support him when he's done to the country what termites do to an old barn.

truly bee-zarre.
0 Replies

barackman28

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:31 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
Most people forget. Senator Biden has been in the Senate for more than thirty years. He has been in countless debates and has made hundreds of speeches.

He will wipe the floor with Palin and thereby add at least five points to Senator Obama's lead.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 03:01 pm
@barackman28,
It'll be more than five points; it'll essentially mean the end of the McCain campaign.

The short upward blip McCain got after his choice of Palin as his veep, McCain is now on his death bed.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 03:28 pm
@DontTreadOnMe,
We already know Palin's debate style; "I don't know, but I'll get back to ya."

The best one I've seen so far about Palin is "she doesn't understand the question."
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:20 pm
@barackman28,
What makes you think most people forget Biden has been in the Senate for decades?

No one who knew it has forgotten it. How could they? Biden like his fellow media whore Chuckie Schummer has will walk through walls to get in front of a TV camera.

Of course Biden is infinately more telegenic than Schummer, but less obsessed with voicing his opinion.

Anyone who has followed Biden's career (and the only way you could avoid it is by never watching TV) have, at least, had the amusement of following his epic battle with male pattern baldness.

He has made countless speeches, but the problem is one never knows from whom he's stolen the words.

Whether you like or dislike Biden, you have to admit he can be an impressive interviewee, and he can be a virtual gaffe machine.

Biden is on a tightrope: He's at his best when he's free wheeling, but that's also when he can be counted on to step on his Johnson.

Anyone with utter confidence in Biden's performance tonight doesn't know Biden. I guarantee you Obama's handlers will be sweating.

There was very little chance that the McCain/Obama debate would result in a gaffe, but this one?

This one is going to give people a lot more to talk about than the other one.

Please keep crowing about how Biden will wipe the floor with Palin. Not only are you screwing with Biden's mojo, you're setting yourselves up for a big fall.

It's a lot easier to exceed low expectations than to live up to absurdly high ones.

dyslexia

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:46 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
yes, male pattern baldness, that's the topic that america cares about; a substantial issue on a par with the middle-east, the economy, global warming.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 04:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Please keep crowing about how Biden will wipe the floor with Palin. Not only are you screwing with Biden's mojo, you're setting yourselves up for a big fall.

uh. i have to admit that about the only thing i feel like i can count on is nearly every politician i've seen for a long time misses op after op and does indeed stick his foot in it too often.

so, i'm gonna be sweating it until the election gets certified.
0 Replies

barackman28

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 07:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
You bet.McCain has withdrawn his ads from Michigan. He has given that important state to Senator Obama. When Senator Obama becomes president my community will celebrate for weeks. Maybe, at last, our people have been freed from the slavery of racism!