comprehension questions

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:11 pm
In a comprehension exercise, can a question be phrased in the past tense when the passage is in the present tense?

The writer of this comprehension book gives an exercise which has a question in the past tense and then switches to one in the present tense. Is this the correct practice in setting questions. In my opinion, it isn't correct? I I would like to know whether I'm right.

The passage is about a UFO named Zigor, which has come to our Earth and a boy is giving him shelter in his house while it is waiting for the arrival of his companion who has not yet returned in his flying craft to pick him up to return to his planet.

The following are two questions given in the exercise.

1. Which word in the passage tells you that Zigor was seeking refuge at Daniel's House? (question in past tense)

Many thanks.

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:20 pm
@tanguatlay,
This post replaces the one sent earlier as I've exceeded my time in editing. That's why I have to post again.

In a comprehension exercise, can a question be phrased in the past tense when the passage is in the present tense?

The writer of this comprehension book gives an exercise which has a question in the past tense . Is this the correct practice in setting questions? In my opinion, it isn't correct? I I would like to know whether I'm right.

The passage is about a UFO named Zigor, which has come to our Earth and a boy is giving him shelter in his house while it is waiting for the arrival of his UFO companion which has not yet returned in his flying craft to pick him up to return to their planet together.

The following is the question:

1. Which word in the passage tells you that Zigor was seeking refuge at Daniel's House? (question in past tense)

Many thanks.
DrewDad

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:26 pm
@tanguatlay,
I was taught that discussions about written works should always be in the present tense.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:34 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:

What makes you think that the question you asked is in the past tense, T?
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:03 pm
@JTT,
Hi fellow members
Just a minor correction.

The passage is about an alien named Zigor, which has come to our Earth and a boy is giving him shelter in his house while it is waiting for the arrival of his UFO companion which has not yet returned in his flying craft to pick him up to return to their planet together.
(It should be 'an alien', NOT 'a UFO'.)

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:08 pm
@JTT,

JTT wrote: 'What makes you think that the question you asked is in the past tense, T? '

The word 'was'. The fact is that the alien is still on Earth and hasn't returned to his planet yet as his companion has not returned yet to pick him up and go back to their planet together.
tanguatlay

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 10:23 pm
@tanguatlay,
Hi JTT

Please refer to my earlier reply to your question.

The fact is that the alien is still on Earth and hasn't returned to his planet yet as his companion has not returned in their aircraft yet to pick him up and go back to their planet together.

IMO, the question should be "Which word in the passage tells you that Zigor is (NOT 'was') seeking refuge at Daniel's House? "
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2008 10:23 pm
@tanguatlay,
Hi JTT
Could you please let me know whether I'm correct?

Many thanks.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2008 06:52 pm
@tanguatlay,
But the refuge has been granted. The question is asking you to look at the passage and find a point before Zigor receives refuge from Daniel. Then find a word in that part of the passage that indicates that Zigor was at that time seeking refuge.

0 Replies