How do you test a man?

Jamelia

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:35 am
This is a question for the girlies. When you first start seeing a man what kind of pace do you adopt in regard to the intensity of the relationship. I'm worried in case the man just wants sex. How can you tell if they are just players and only want a fling? I don't want to be used and waste my time. Are there little red flags you watch out for and what if it's more subtle than that.

I've looked up the characters of players eg their full on intensity at the beginning is something to watch out for and generally they lose interest pretty quick if they don't get what they want. Was just wondering about the timescale here.

ebrown p

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:39 am
@Jamelia,
Two choices.

1) Treat men with the same respect that you want to be treated with. Ask yourself 'How do you want a man to test you?', then do that.

2) Throw him in the water... if he sinks, then he is not a player.
OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:58 am
@ebrown p,
Laughing
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 06:04 am
@ebrown p,
If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck it's probably made of wood.... so to speak.

Jamelia

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:42 am
@dadpad,
Oh my gosh!
What happened to Noddy24.
Just noticed your RIP dadpad.
Noddy was always brilliant at helping people with their problems.
I am so sorry.
Jamelia

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:04 am
Hold your dominion.
Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:05 am
@Jamelia,
Noddy died in August, after a long, agonizing illness. She was one of the pillars of A2K, and, as for me, I miss her terribly:

http://able2know.org/topic/120478-1
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:07 am
@Jamelia,
Jamelia, this is Jill's memorial thread

http://able2know.org/topic/120478-1#post-3346205

Next time there's a full moon, get out there and howl at it for her. She got a kick out of organizing the women of A2K to do that. It helped, and it still does.
0 Replies

Jamelia

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 12:48 pm
Hi Ehbeth
Yes she told me to do that once. She gave me great advice and I think she was a little bit like a Grandma to many people on this forum. Giving knowledgeable mature advice that was always right.
x
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:18 pm
@Jamelia,
Jamelia wrote:
When you first start seeing a man what kind of pace do you adopt in regard to the intensity of the relationship. I'm worried in case the man just wants sex.

That's quite individual, Jamelia. You cannot put a time frame on when to
have sex with a new man. Some have sex after 3 dates, after they've read it's
good manners, others hang in there for weeks on end. Point is, you need
to learn how to read the warning signs, and sometimes you have to have a "he wanted sex only" experience in order to learn what NOT to do in future.
It all depends on your comfort level and how fast you click with your date.

Now having said that, there are some signs to look out for: is he interested
in what you have to say, or is he mainly talking about himself during your
date? Is he attentive towards you (seeing to it that your glass is filled, opening doors for you etc.). How are his table manners? When he drops
you off at home, does he speed away when you barely have your feet out
of the car, or is he seeing you to your door?

I believe that little details are much more telling about the other person
than what he says.

Bottom line is your comfort level though. If you're feel ready then go ahead!
Jamelia

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 12:50 pm
@CalamityJane,
Hi Calamity Jane

Thanks for your reply. I think more than anything I wanted to talk about it with other women so that it was kind of aired. I'm starting to date men and was in a relationship before for many years, which ended a while ago. I want to move on but I've not had many boyfriends previous to this and ironically all this is new in a lot of ways. With my previous ex all this didn't seem to be a problem as I'd dated him before.

I guess a lot of it is just common sense.

Thanks
CalamityJane

Reply Thu 2 Oct, 2008 02:47 pm
@Jamelia,
Hi Jamelia

Yes, common sense and good intuition will get you through the dating game. Wink
Good luck!
0 Replies