Presidential Debate! Tonight!

Diane

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:40 pm
@roger,
Point taken. I was so focused on the moderator that I didn't really give any thought to how Biden would treat her, mainly because I know that, if he wanted to, Biden could chew her up and spit her out. And, I hate to admit, I wish he would.
JPB

@Cycloptichorn,
Cycloptichorn wrote:

http://mediacurves.com/

The Mediacurves focus group Independents gave it to Obama 61-39. The partisans on both sides gave it to their guy 90%+. The independents deemed that Obama won every single question.

Cycloptichorn

I'm mostly interested in the diagonals -- the % of picks that went the other way among Party loyalists.

Crossover voting went to Obama in significant numbers on Financial Recovery Plan and possibly on Sending More Troops to Iraq. McCain got the crossover vote on Government Spending. The remaining categories including Economic Plans, Lessons Learned in Iraq, Threat From Iran, Relationship with Russia, and Likelihood of another 9/11 Type Attack are probably not significant. Which means that the Independent vote is crucial (no big surprise).

While Obama "won the debate" according to Independent voters, McCain did fairly well with Independents on the Government Spending question (53.4 O - 46.6% M) indicating that this topic is one of concern to all voting blocks and crossover to McCain. Obama "won" the remaining questions.

Cyclo -- do you know by chance know how many people were being counted in each group?
0 Replies

Diane

@squinney,
Yes!
0 Replies

chai2

@Diane,
It was interesting that the only area McCain won by a few points, was government spending. I have to admit that McCain's initial answer was short and to the point.

wow. I thought obama did much btter with that question.
roger

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:41 pm
@Diane,
Not suggesting I favor McCain, as you probably know, but I would have a much brighter line to work with if the race had Palin and Biden as the principles.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:42 pm
@chai2,
Yes, me too. I hope a real politcal genius will explain that one.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:44 pm
Transcript of presidential debate

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/26/debate.mississippi.transcript/
okie

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:45 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Cyclops, your thoughts, the one interchange I thought provided a window into Obama, and it wasn't a good moment for Obama, was at one point as I remember it approximately, Obama had given an opinion, then McCain, then Obama another rebuttal, then McCain was giving another rebuttal or clarification, Obama then began to interrupt and talk over McCain and for a moment appeared to flash anger when he wanted to have the last word, then he finally realized he better shut up and put on the fake smile.

0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:46 pm
@chai2,
I didn't hear the answers. Did one of them say they would spend less more forcefully than the other? I think that would sway a lot of fiscally conservative, social liberals.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:47 pm
Fact Check on the statement Obama made about McCain not meeting with leader of Spain:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1842156,00.html

McCain was obviusly confused in that interview. Obama was goading with that one.
Eorl

@Debra Law,
From a non-American POV, the debate didn't look like a "game changer", which I'm assuming McCain needs at this point.

I think the biggest outcome of the debate was the fact that McCain decided he had to show up after all, which isn't a good look.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

CBS Poll, 500 independents -

40% of uncommitted voters who watched the debate tonight thought Barack Obama was the winner. 22% thought John McCain won. 38% saw it as a draw.

CNN's post-debate poll -

Who did the best job in the debate?

Barack Obama 51

John McCain 38

Who would better handle Iraq?

Barack Obama 52

John McCain 47

Who would better handle the economy?

Barack Obama 58
John McCain 37

Both of 'em match the MediaCurves nearly exactly.

Cycloptichorn
Diane

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:48 pm
@okie,
Okie, I too was impressed with McCain's ability to reel off all those names and historical events.

I have a notion that McCain spent hours trying to pronounce those names without spitting out his dentures. And I kept waiting for him to mention his experience in the Civil War...
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:49 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
It all depends upon whether the pool of voters described as uncommitted were truly uncommitted. Personally, I doubt it. I think the more professional polls in coming days will be more meaningful.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:50 pm
@squinney,
They are pointing out on msnbc now that McCain wouldn't look at Obama. Good catch, Soz.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:52 pm
What I see as the real problem of these debates is the perceptions are so skewed towards their own bias, people will see the strong points of their own candidate and the weak points of the competitor candidate.

The true measure of who won are those people who truly have not decided who they will vote for on November 4.

0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:53 pm
Obama: But we have to have a president who is clear that you don't deal with Russia based on staring into his eyes and seeing his soul.

McCain: I looked into Mr. Putin's eyes, and I saw three letters, a "K," a "G," and a "B."
Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:59 pm
@Debra Law,
Per The Plank -

Quote:

For what it's worth: The Frank Luntz and Stanley Greenberg focus groups went overwhelmingly for Obama.

CBS Poll, Focus groups, CNN poll, all point to Obama victory. But that's just the initial impressions.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 10:02 pm
apparently mccain missoke re eisenhower , here is the actual letter';
http://www.archives.gov/education/lessons/d-day-message/images/failure-message.gif
0 Replies

okie

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 10:06 pm
@Diane,
Diane wrote:

Point taken. I was so focused on the moderator that I didn't really give any thought to how Biden would treat her, mainly because I know that, if he wanted to, Biden could chew her up and spit her out. And, I hate to admit, I wish he would.

I hope he tries, and Palin might chew him up and spit him out.