McCain proposes postponing the VP debate

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:27 pm

Quote:
Dana Bash, CNN (9/24/08): I spoke with Senator Lindsey Graham, he is in the McCain campaign, he is negotiation -- is trying to negotiate with the Obama campaign and the presidential debate commission. What they are saying, and what he is saying is that they are proposing to instead of having next Thursday the vice presidential debate in St. Louis, to make that the presidential debate and then to delay the VP debate to another time. That is what they are proposing, they understand very well that both the Obama campaign and the debate commission have no intention of delaying Friday's debate, but both he and a senior advisor that if there is no bailout deal by Friday, McCain has no plan to go to debate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 19 • Views: 4,320 • Replies: 69

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:33 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Yep.

The quip I've seen from several different people:

"When are they postponing it to? November 5th?"

Several people think this is the whole point of the "suspension" gimmick. (Though "suspending" seems to basically mean "do everything I would have done anyway, except the debate.") That the Couric interview went so badly that they're panicking about the debate.

The Couric interview DOES seem to have been pretty bad. Just saw this:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=4478156n

(Not Youtube, can't seem to embed.)

Quote:
COURIC: You've cited Alaska's proximity to Russia as part of your foreign policy experience. What did you mean by that?

PALIN: That Alaska has a very narrow maritime border between a foreign country, Russia, and on our other side, the land-- boundary that we have with-- Canada. It-- it's funny that a comment like that was-- kind of made to-- cari-- I don't know, you know? Reporters--

COURIC: Mock?

PALIN: Yeah, mocked, I guess that's the word, yeah.

COURIC: Explain to me why that enhances your foreign policy credentials.

PALIN: Well, it certainly does because our-- our next door neighbors are foreign countries. They're in the state that I am the executive of. And there in Russia--

COURIC: Have you ever been involved with any negotiations, for example, with the Russians?

PALIN: We have trade missions back and forth. We-- we do-- it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia as Putin rears his head and comes into the air space of the United States of America, where-- where do they go? It's Alaska. It's just right over the border. It is-- from Alaska that we send those out to make sure that an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there. They are right next to-- to our state.
dyslexia

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:37 pm
@sozobe,
Palin, sad really.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:44 pm
@sozobe,
That interview makes it abundantly clear why the McCain team said no go on Palin interviews with the press. The lady was, how can one phrase it, way out of her league, light years out.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 12:48 pm
I'm kinda wondering if next he'll propose postponing the election. That might be Bush's plan all along. Get the election postponed so he can be president a while longer. (See, I can be a really good conspiracy theorist.)

Seriously, I don't think it matters one way or the other. I don't see the big problem of holding the debates as scheduled. But then again, I don't see a big deal in a one week delay. It will get held regardless and we will all still get to whoop and holler about how our candidate whupped up on the other guy or gal.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:00 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Obama should call him out for the cowardice he is displaying. "Do you really think the American people are gullible enough to not see through this little stunt? Come on... what are you afraid of? You've been going on about our need for a debate for months; it's time to give the American people what they want. And what makes you think the American people aren't entitled to see how our VP choices perform as they're making up their minds? Again, what are you afraid of?
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:01 pm
The Palin interview is very VERY different on the clip than in the transcript. The transcript makes her look clueless. Watch the clip, howver, and you get a very different impression.
McGentrix

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:02 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
McCain wanted to have a lot more debates. It was Obama that decided he would only do 3. I doubt fear has anything to do with it.
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:03 pm
@Foxfyre,
I guess it's a matter of opinion. I thought the transcript didn't read so badly but that the video made her look flustered and out of her element.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:06 pm
@McGentrix,
And. . . .this whole business about Obama bragging that a President has to be able to multitask? How many times has Bush been bashed when he 'waited too long' to do something or how he was absolutely slimed for continuing to read to elementary students after being advised of the World Trade Center bombing? He was expected to drop everything and focus on the immediate crisis immediately.

But then he (also McCain) wasn't the Messiah either. I guess we need to understand that those with more godlike qualities don't need to drop anything in order to focus on the immediate crisis.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I thought the transcript didn't read so badly but that the video made her look flustered and out of her element.

Interesting. I thought she was animated, focused, relaxed, and on point. But then I like her.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:07 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Can you see Sarah Palin being able to have Gwen Eiffel ask the tough questions? Nevermind Joe Biden.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:13 pm
@Foxfyre,
I know I don't need to address what a far fetched and out in right field that comparison is, Fox. I can't believe you would even think that is a legitimate comparison.

0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:17 pm
@Foxfyre,
Please. Bush is the President. McCain is not the president. Of course Bush ought to have acted more quickly during Sept. 11.

Quit using the weak argument about Obama being god-- Face it, Obama isn't president either, there's no reason for him to go to Washington. Both he and McCain have missed so many votes collectively they'd only cause more of a ruckus.

One more thing-- McCain has been a vocal advocate for deregulation and he wants to save his campaign. His going to Washington will only give the perception he's helping.
sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:27 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
If it were clear that McCain would be able to accomplish something by "suspending" his campaign (quotes 'cause it's not actually very suspended except for the debate), I would be more for it.

But it's not. Obama has been talking to people (like Paulson) and has made himself available in whatever way is most helpful. These people have cell phones -- there is plenty they can do without physically being in Washington. And it seems like that kind of stuff -- the stuff that can be done over cell phones -- is the only stuff that Obama and McCain can/ should do.

This can be done in conjunction with debate prep. There isn't an either/or here.

And the debate itself is at 9 PM on a Friday night. Senate is in session then?
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:29 pm
In less than four months, Barack Obama or John McCain will be sworn in as the next president of the United States. This crisis will not be over by that time, but the President will be presiding over implementation of a plan on which hangs the basic solvency of much or most of the United States of America. Each is head of his respective party now and the plan that is implemented must have bipartisan input and support to have any chance at all. Both are Senators of the United States with fiduciary responsibility for the health and welfare of the nation.

For those who aspire to be President, to not take intense personal interest and a hands on involvement in whatever so important a plan will be sends me a huge signal that such person doesn't have the principles, values, priorities, intelligence, or selflesness necessary for the job. I hope a whole bunch of others are turned in to that same signal.

Further, if it had been Obama who had returned to Washington to tend to business and McCain who was saying it wasn't necessary, you know darn good and well you would be condemning McCain for wrong priorities.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:35 pm
@Foxfyre,
Huh? What kind of cockamamie idea is that? Reverse what each did? jezuzchurist, you conservatives really have good imaginations, but it ends there.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:43 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:
Further, if it had been Obama who had returned to Washington to tend to business and McCain who was saying it wasn't necessary, you know darn good and well you would be condemning McCain for wrong priorities.
Nope. Hyper-partisan idiocy leads to defending phony moves. Most of us recognize when a candidate's dog ate their homework. The country needs McCain in Washington Friday night no more than it needs for you or I to be there. I don’t know what the bullshit plan is, but I do know its bullshit.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@Foxfyre,
Is it possible for a Republican to ever leave out the word "values" when talking about the opposition?

Actually, I would consider Obama to be grandstanding if he decided to sweep into Washington because of the bail-out. I also considered Obama's trip to Europe and his accepting his nomination in a football stadium to be poor choices.

Note: Obama wanted to speak at the Berlin Wall, Germany said no, we'll give you the Brandenburg Gates. He then proceeded to give a mediocre speech to admireres with a fake presidential seal on his podium-- again, embarrassing.

Nonetheless, I am an Obama supporter.

Both candidates have their stupid tactics.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:44 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

I agree. It was painful to watch in person.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies