McCain proposes postponing the VP debate

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:49 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
I think you're conflating two speeches, Cliff. There was a speech well before the Europe trip where Obama had a sign in front of the podium that resembled the presidential seal. (It wasn't a fake, per se, in that it had "Obama for President" on it, used the campaign's signature colors and font, etc. But did have elements of the presidential seal.)

That wasn't used for the speech in Germany, tho.

Obama in Germany:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2008/07/24/world/obama_600.1.jpg
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 01:57 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
Yup, both pull boners aplenty. But I think some people are still not appreciating how serious this financial crisis we are in is. Obama, a late boomer, has never experienced a prolonged severe recession, much less a depression. I don't think he fully understands the gravity of the situation. I can't look into his heart and I can't look into John McCain's heart. McCain may be just as callous and calculating as what you all seem to want to believe.

But whatever his motive, McCain is doing the right thing. In the end it is not our motives, but our actions that count.

(I seldom put 'values into my comments by the way, unless I am speaking of values. Values are a biggie among conservatives though, so I do speak of them now and then.)

*(And to the rest of you, it wasn't me but it was Barack Obama who brought up the deal that a President--not a Presidential candidate but a President--has to be able to multitask. And all of you seemed to applaud him in that. I was just pointing out how you didn't applaud the current President in his multi tasking efforts, not that I think any of you apply a double standard in things like that.)
sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:02 pm
@Foxfyre,
As I read and re-read that in an attempt to extract meaning from it, I suddenly understand why you have an affinity for Palin.

Ahem.

Again, what is McCain DOING or ACCOMPLISHING by this? He just arrived in Washington for a meeting with Obama and Bush that Bush convened. Bush's spokesperson can't say what that is supposed to actually do.

Quote:
The purpose of the meeting, Perino said, is to get everyone in the same room, on the same page and hash out the legislation. Isn't that what they're doing on the Hill? Well, yes, Perino acknowledged, but this will include the President. And what will he bring to the meeting? She couldn't say.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/25/1447537.aspx
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:04 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

Yup, both pull boners aplenty. But I think some people are still not appreciating how serious this financial crisis we are in is. Obama, a late boomer, has never experienced a prolonged severe recession, much less a depression. I don't think he fully understands the gravity of the situation. I can't look into his heart and I can't look into John McCain's heart. McCain may be just as callous and calculating as what you all seem to want to believe.

But whatever his motive, McCain is doing the right thing. In the end it is not our motives, but our actions that count.

(I seldom put 'values into my comments by the way, unless I am speaking of values. Values are a biggie among conservatives though, so I do speak of them now and then.)

*(And to the rest of you, it wasn't me but it was Barack Obama who brought up the deal that a President--not a Presidential candidate but a President--has to be able to multitask. And all of you seemed to applaud him in that. I was just pointing out how you didn't applaud the current President in his multi tasking efforts, not that I think any of you apply a double standard in things like that.)

That's funny. Obama has been talking about how serious this crisis is for months. McCain, as of Monday of last week, was insisting everything was fine and was against any and all bailouts. What changed his mind?

Even after last Wednesday, a tough day for the markets, McCain STILL wasn't on board with the bailouts.

It wasn't until his poll numbers tanked that he decided to do anything, and from what I can tell, he still hasn't done anything...

Cycloptichorn

0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:06 pm
@sozobe,
McCain is supposed to be providing leadership in working out the details of a best solution to the problem. That is what he said he would be doing. As leader of the Republican party and a senior member of the Senate, I'm pretty sure he saw that as his job. He had his own agenda--well publicized--for what he thought had to be incuded in a final decision.

Frankly, again whatever his motives, I can't fault him for what he is doing.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:10 pm
@Foxfyre,
He's a bit late; most of the issues have already been addressed by congress and the committees responsible for this legislation.

McCain's actions are political, not what you conservatives perceive it to be.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:11 pm
@Foxfyre,
Obama had his own agenda, too.

And Obama's agenda -- which he announced 2 days before McCain's -- was so similar to McCain's that Obama suggested that they go ahead and make a joint statement as a bipartisan gesture towards getting the situation resolved.

That's when McCain went unilaterally apeshit.

Meanwhile... if McCain is supposed to be providing leadership in working out the details, he missed the boat. As Harry Reid said, "What we need is leadership, not a photo op."
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:20 pm
@sozobe,
But since you know that Obama did that in some form as you describe it--actually as he described it--there is absolutely no chance that he wasn't grandstanding and attempting to upstage McCain? Of course McCain's motives in these things are always suspect and Obama's are as pure as the driven snow. I know how it works. And yes, I am hugely cynical.
Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:22 pm
@sozobe,
My error, nonetheless, hasn't Obama since removed the near presidential seal? I know he caught some deserved flack for that.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:26 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
As well as he should have; that's real tacky like when Hillary used to say "when I'm president."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:27 pm
@Foxfyre,
When he privately called McCain, he was grandstanding?

How does that work?

It only came out AFTER McCain announced he was suspending his campaign.

Obama did something similar for 9/11 -- called McCain and suggested that they appear at Ground Zero together as a bipartisan tribute. McCain agreed to that one.
sozobe

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:28 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
He used it once, in June, got flack for it, then stopped.

It's not like it was a longstanding thing.
0 Replies

Cliff Hanger

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 02:34 pm
@Foxfyre,
I believe much of the voting population knows how grave the situation is, and they can see through John McCain's actions. McCain has always touted deregulation, and now his political fortunes are on the line. Of course he's got to do something, anything to back track to put himself in better light.

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 03:03 pm
@Cliff Hanger,
McCain is so deep in quicksand, his back-tracking will not save him from drowning in his own poop.
Foxfyre

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 03:32 pm
@sozobe,
How private could it have been since you know about it?
Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 03:37 pm
@Foxfyre,
It was revealed after McCain pulled his stunt, and confirmed by both camps.

Do you EVER get tired of being wrong, Faux?

Cycloptichorn
OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 03:46 pm
@Cycloptichorn,
Wrong is okay. It is the deliberately obtuse part that makes it so aggravating.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 03:57 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Did you guys hear the latest meeting at the white house? McCain is trying to get credit for all the work done thus far by congress and the committees, and they lost two to three hours arguing about that!

McCain is still trying to grandstand, but some of those that worked on it are so angry with McCain's grandstand, you can be sure more will be coming out soon.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 03:59 pm
Does anyone else find it a little fishy that Bush actually took time in his "crisis speech" to specifically urge McCain and Obama to come to Washington to discuss solutions to the crisis? Was he really thinking of how they might help, or did he (or his buddies in the GOP) do it to try to give more credibility to McCain's idiotic ploy?
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2008 04:02 pm
@kickycan,
kicky, See my post above yours. I'm sure more news on this will be forthcoming.