Could you kill your own meat?

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:04 pm
Quote:
I'm not opposed to eating humanely raised or wild meat, I just wish more people thought about how our commercial animals are treated in their brief lives and would boycott the worst offenders of this nasty food chain.

What she said.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 12:05 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Re: Green Witch(Post 3415297)
Quote:

I'm not opposed to eating humanely raised or wild meat,
I just wish more people thought about how our commercial animals
are treated in their brief lives and would boycott the worst offenders of this nasty food chain.

That sounds reasonable.
I have no information about how animals r kept pre-slaughter.

I provided a link. Watch it.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 07:39 pm
@edgarblythe,
http://i36.tinypic.com/2h3qxht.jpg
dlowan

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 07:47 pm
@Victor Murphy,
It's amazing how quickly these pigs go feral, and back to being way smaller, tough, muscular, run like the wind, furry stripy things.

The escapees look different fast, and the first babies are right back in the primeval forest, looks and behaviour wise.

Here they are enjoying life in Oz...they're a major pest, sadly:

http://www.animalcontrol.com.au/photos/Pigs.jpg

http://www.uq.edu.au/news/images/media/P9150005.jpg

I've startled families f them when n horseback in the bush...and they run like the wind.

Green Witch

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 08:14 pm
@OGIONIK,
Quote:
i cant wait until im at the point in life where i can buy only organic food and meat where i know the animals are living clean healthy lives. man buying pure organic food, might i even dare to say, growing my own organic food, would be awesome.

Organic chicken costs the same as McChicken nuggies, pound for pound. Buy the best, but eat less of it. Mix it in with other things like veggies or rice. Instead of wasting your time and money gambling, put your earnings and brain to work learning how to invest so you can buy some land.
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 08:19 pm
GUNGA

Quote:
The lack of fur is a total dis adaptation for anything on land; there's reason to think that humans originally lived in water. The most visible difference between us and apes is the thing about the legs being the major limbs, also an adaptation for swimming and wading. An ape or monkey trying to swim the way we do would likely just turn somersaults in the water.

Drunk
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 08:23 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:

It's amazing how quickly these pigs go feral, and back to being way smaller,
tough, muscular, run like the wind
, furry stripy things.

An acquaintance told me of his being charged by a wild boar in a forest, where he 'd gone
with his brand new .50 caliber revolver, said to be triple the power of a .44 magnum;
(not desirable as an anti-personnel weapon for defense from criminals, but good for hunting).

He said that he put 2 rounds into the chest, while the boar was charging at him, with no effect.
Then he put another round between the eyes, which dropped him.
Upon cleaning him for cooking the pork, he found that both of his lungs
had been blown out, but he just kept charging, until the headshot.
Q.E.D.:
u r right about "tough, muscular, run like the wind . . ." feral pigs.

David
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 09:59 pm
@Green Witch,
Buy the best, but eat less of it.

I've always advocated that. When someone says "that cut is so much more expensive" I reply "It's cheaper than angioplasty"
Lash

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2008 10:15 pm
Don't worry, ya sweet liberal types. The Republicans will continue to kill your meat for you...hahaha.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 02:51 am
@chai2,
Quote:
Buy the best, but eat less of it.

I've always advocated that.
When someone says "that cut is so much more expensive"
I reply "It's cheaper than angioplasty"

With all Respect, historically, I have not adopted your filosofy.
I 'm a glutton; I truly am.
About 30 years ago, I founded a fine dining society
for enjoying the best restaurants in Manhattan,
and elsewhere, when we travel to other cities.

Over the years n decades, I have practiced more severe
gluttony than any of my attending members.

I am infamous among us for the numbers of desserts that I order,
to the greater glory of the Pastry Chefs, whom I have personally thanked ( sometimes ).

David
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:06 pm
This device for field dressing deer is a good example of why I don't find hunting appetizing. It is a device to help hunters keep the deer poop off of the deer meat.

http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/6049/ouchhe6.png

That reminds me of when I was cooking a chicken and found a piece of corn in the chicken's butt. I didn't want to eat the chicken afterward (certainly would never eat a chicken butt again).

I prefer my meat dressed for me, not because I couldn't kill it but because the dressing part is disgusting. I could eat an animal I killed, but I'd probably not eat any animal I dressed. Same goes for the chicken I've bought and cooked when it came with the guts inside. It's just nasty and foul smelling and doesn't much make me want to eat the chicken.
chai2

Reply Sat 27 Sep, 2008 10:32 pm
That's an interesting tool.

I wonder if it really works?

I guess it takes a lot to kill my appetite. I've been around while hogs where hung up and dressed. Didn't bother me.

If presented with a dead animal, I have no problem with it. It's the fact it has to die.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:53 am
Quote:
Coud you kill your own meat?

If u went on a LEMMING hunt,
then maybe u coud get the meat to kill himself for u.

I don 't know how lemmings taste.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:01 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I have to admit I like lemming meringue pie.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 08:48 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:
I prefer my meat dressed for me, not because I couldn't kill it but because the dressing part is disgusting.

I think this is one of the reasons I don't mind killing/cleaning fish - they're pre-washed. Seriously. I don't mind cleaning the innards out of fish - no poop on the outside.

Cleaning the innards out of chickens is ok too. I'm not too good about the feathers though, they make me sneeze.

I could kill and prepare small game. Not sure I'm up to bigger animals, though I think I'd do it if I had to. I'll stick to smaller animals - faster reward.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 09:57 am
I watch "Man vs Wild" cause that guy is extremme. Last night he ate a desert beetle (I coulda told him that it was a bad idea) He was spitting that acrid beetle defense juice for a long time. Then he ate a wood grub (no biggie, Ive done that in a group of Nigerians who "passed the toasted grub bowl around" (course I didnt make a piga meself)

The denoument of the show was where Bear (his name) trapped, skinned and cooked (then ate) a Spotted Skunk, (one of the orneriest ceritters next to a wolverine)
He was so hungry that he ate the skunk with the odor and all.

WITHOUT A DIPPY SAUCE TOO!!.

We re mere pussies compared to that.

Id never eat a beetle though. The sweetest of them come loaded with oxalic acid, or even worse, Cyanide and Hydrogen peroxide.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 02:52 pm
I believe it depends on our personal circumstances and whether it's required to do our own killing for meat vs its availability in our markets and restaurants.

I think "fish" is different from "fish food" when it comes to catching and killing it for food.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good one, Ed
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:55 pm
I always picture DAvid as a Nero Wolfe kind of guy. Enjoying a fine IPA while slurping down some Chincoteague Oysters. Gun by his side lest an oyster slips away.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2008 05:57 pm
@farmerman,
Best Oysters Rockefeller I ever had ... Chincoteague
Best Oyster Stew ... Chincoteague
Best Fried Oyster Sandwich ... Chincoteague

well, Assateague actually, but mmmmmm yum
0 Replies